Bob's gap years

Vessel Name: Ben More
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach
02 August 2022 | Port Launay
15 July 2022 | Port Launay
01 July 2022 | Camaret
15 June 2022 | Duarnanez
11 June 2021 | Topsham
18 May 2021 | Still Horta
13 May 2021 | Horta
07 May 2021 | Peter’s Bar
29 April 2021 | PICO
23 April 2021 | HORTA
07 April 2021 | Quinta do Loorde
30 March 2021 | Las Palmas
23 March 2021 | Arguineguin
16 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue (again)
10 March 2021 | Marina Gomera
02 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue
24 February 2021 | Cave Cuba
16 February 2021 | SUNNY COCKPIT
10 February 2021 | CAFE CUBA
Recent Blog Posts
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach

SHIPS THAT PASS

15/08/2022

02 August 2022 | Port Launay

PICKLED WALNUTS

01/08/2022

15 July 2022 | Port Launay

FOUL EXPERIENCE

15/07/2022

01 July 2022 | Camaret

SUBMARINES

01/07/2022

15 June 2022 | Duarnanez

WHISKY GALORE

15/06/2022

11 June 2021 | Topsham

HOME RUN

11/06/2021

SHARKS & AMBULANCES

29 December 2020
Robert Coates
29/12/20
Hi folks
Swimming’s been off for a while. A woman was injured and claimed it was from a shark attack. It produced a lot of excitement. I though it was more likely to be a giant tadpole bite but there were subsequent reports of a ‘family’ of 4 sharks in the bay. The beach is open again but I’m waiting before going back in until I see someone else swimming who makes it out alive. My macho image stays intact.
I’m now quite involved with the Cruz Roja (Red Cross). I’m assessing repairs needed in the immigrant centre and producing a list of what is necessary to fix by traders or myself with the inmates. Hardly anyone here speaks any French, which is the immigrants only language and have been asked to teach them basic English words/phrases. I was too modest to say this would be too difficult as I speak some but seldom understand the replies! I have my French course material with me and am looking back to the early lessons. This is going to be difficult but will possibly be with the help of an Italian lady who speaks (and understands) French and also English. She is a bit nervous of doing it herself. The R.C. vehicles are cleaned every week so tomorrow I am on the car wash team. All the RC worker’s are really lovely, dedicated people. Also there are regular small van deliveries throughout the island of food parcels, blankets etc to local reps and I may be doing this once I know the routes. A great way to see the island. But!!!! The only vehicles when I was there were 2 socking great ambulances. One was driven out of the garage and I was asked to go for a driving test round the town for half an hour with a rep. To be honest I found it pretty hair arising but no damage done and, with some luck, did a better parking job than sometimes in my car. I’m not sure what the survival rate would be if I actually had to drive injured people over the mountain roads. Anyway I’m sure there’s no way I would be asked.
I had a wonderful Christmas with Caroline, Ali and some of their friends in Santiago with a very traditional English menu. Double yum. Great hospitality and fun. Thank you so much to both of you. On return to San Sebastián at 0830 on the 27th a foreign yacht leaving to go to anchor of Santiago asked if I would like to join them. Hey ho off I went, eventually being taken ashore to catch the last bus back of the day, only catching it because it was 6 minutes late. Luck was with me, on arrival back another crew - Dutch boat - asked me to join them for a meal.

I hope you all had a good Christmas in the circumstances and will be able to toast in the new year with light at the end of the tunnel.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Robert
The photo is of the mountains behind P Santiago. There are amazing roads built through this landscape which covers much of the island.
Comments

About & Links