Delilah's Meanderings

Sailing the coastal waters of Southwest Florida, the Keys, and the Bahamas

Vessel Name: Delilah
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105Mc Catamaran
Hailing Port: Whiteland, IN
Crew: Mark & Kim Hayes
About:
We have been sailing over 25 years. Starting with a 14 foot sailboat, then a Catalina 22, and next a Pearson 27 before buying our dream boat the Gemini. This is our seventh season aboard Delilah. We are seasonal coastal cruisers, spending the winters on the boat in Florida. [...]
Social:
25 February 2021
14 February 2021 | Boot Key Harbor
30 January 2021 | Boot Key Harbor
19 January 2021 | Boot Key Harbor
12 January 2021
05 January 2021 | Pelican Bay, Cayo Costa, Florida
29 February 2020
15 February 2020
08 February 2020
18 February 2019
03 February 2019
25 January 2019
10 March 2018 | Warderick Wells Cay, Exumas
Recent Blog Posts
07 February 2022

Season 7 aboard Delilah begins

It has been a really long time since our last post. Last year's cruising season was cut short when I ruptured my Achillie's tendon playing pickle ball in Marathon in the Florida Keys on Feb 18th. We flew home and I had surgery March 1st. The surgery went well and 6 months later I was mostly back to [...]

25 February 2021

Man plans ... God laughs!

I am writing this blog on the couch with my left leg propped up on two pillows in our house in Whiteland, Indiana. A week ago today, I ruptured my left Achilles tendon while playing pickle ball. There was loud pop and I went down. Next thing you know, everyone was helping me and Kim. Applying first [...]

14 February 2021 | Boot Key Harbor

Still Enjoying Marathon

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone from Boot Key Harbor. We continue to enjoy our time in Marathon, especially life on a mooring ball. We've been here for one month and I just paid for another two weeks. This is highly unusual for us to stay in one place. We're not exactly the relaxed type of people! Within [...]

30 January 2021 | Boot Key Harbor

Enjoying Marathon

Kim said it was my turn to do a post ... so both your luck and mine ran out! We are still in Boot Key Harbor, but now tied to mooring ball U1. We were 10th on the waiting list and it took 12 days before we got the call. What a relief it is compared to anchoring in tight quarters in shallow water. [...]

19 January 2021 | Boot Key Harbor

Made it to the Keys!

Hello. We are currently anchored in Boot Key Harbor at the Marathon City Marina. Waiting for a mooring ball. When we arrived on Thursday, January 14, we were #10 on the wait list. Today we are #6. We hope to be on a mooring ball in about a week (or less!).

12 January 2021

Heading to the Keys...

On a quiet morning sprinkled with rain, we set out for warmer temperatures. We have spent the last six nights at Ft. Myers Beach mooring field. Today we are making our way south down the coast to Marathon in the Middle Keys. With luck we might be able to pick up a mooring ball at Boot Key Harbor. There [...]

Back at Fort Myers Beach

29 February 2020
Mark & Kim Hayes
In our last post on February 15th Delilah was tied to mooring ball #10 at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart on the east coast of Florida. The next day we headed back to Fort Myers Beach on the west coast via the Okeechobee Water Way (OWW). We motored away from the marina's fuel dock at 10:30am after pumping out the holding tank. It's best to start a passage with an empty holding tank! We went through St. Lucie lock without an issue. It was a pretty day and we motor sailed with the genoa unfurled. We averaged 5.7 knots per hour. Not bad for Delilah, but it is early in the season and her hulls were still clean. We saw several horses next to the shore standing in the canal. One appeared to be kicking the water back onto himself. As we neared the Port Myaka lock on the east side of Lake Okeechobee there was a large boat already in the spot where we planned to anchor for the night. I was afraid there wasn't enough room for two boats. The downside of the OWW is the limited number or anchorages. We continued on and motored through the open Port Myaka lock in a short rain shower. We looked back and saw a bright, full rainbow. We motored south down the shore of the lake and anchored for the night. The weather forecast was good and we decided to take a chance even though what we read said it gets pretty choppy so don't do it. Kim made salmon patties for supper and every thing looked great. Our luck didn't last long the wind shifted to the south and the waves picked up. It was a lumpy night and we didn't get much sleep, but the anchor held. They were right, we were wrong, another lesson learned the hard way. :)

Finally at 5am we decided give up trying to sleep, got the boat ready and headed across the lake. Note - there was nothing to run into and we use a Garmin GPS chart plotter to keep us pointed in the right direction. We used red lights inside the boat to avoid messing up our night vision. There was some moonlight and the eastern sky soon lightened behind us. The wind and waves slowed to almost nothing leaving us with a smooth trip across the lake. What a difference from the previous night and also from our previous lake crossing heading east. It was a beautiful sunny morning and we saw several white pelicans. It took us 3 1/2 hours to cross the lake. On the other side we turned north headed up the canal toward Moore Haven. We saw lots of alligators, most seemed smallish probably under 6 feet. There was not much traffic and we went through the Moore Haven lock (2 foot drop) and tied up at an empty Moore Haven city dock at noon. It was a little early to stop, but we didn't want to push our luck with little sleep from the previous night. We cleaned up and walked a mile to Joey's and devoured a salad and pizza. Back at the boat I siphoned diesel from 2 yellow 5 gallon plastic jugs into Delilah's two 18 gallon tanks using a shaker siphon hose. I use a funnel that has fine screen and it also designed to catch any water before it goes into the tanks. We cleaned the cockpit and put on the screen enclosure to keep out the bugs. I hooked up to shore power, charged everything up and then put it away, for a fast get away the next morning. We took showers, ate a light supper, and played rummy so we wouldn't go to bed before 8pm!

Up early we left the dock at 6:30am with just enough light to see. There were some patches of fog at first, but it turned out to be a beautiful day. We used the genoa when possible. Thankfully the genoa sail is easily rolled out when needed and then back in. A lady standing at edge of the Ortana Lock videoed Delilah. Kim yelled to her our phone number and she texted Kim the videos. It is fun to be able to see what it looks like from her view. Kim made waldorf salad with chickpeas for lunch. The day warmed up and Kim wore her bikini and worked on her tan. She is only willing to do this with no one around! We made good time, mostly above 5.5 knots. When we arrived at the north Fort Myers anchorage between the power plant and I75 bridge we saw another boat had the same idea and got there first ... grrrr. This is a very small spot to anchor. So we kept on going deciding to anchor at Glover Bight. I could not get the anchor to hold at Glover Bight, must be mud. Thought about switching to a different anchor known for its holding in mud, but I was running out of energy. Kim called Matanzas Inn and they had balls open in the mooring field at Fort Myers Beach. We decided to head to FMB. Arriving after dark, we picked up ball #36 without an issue at 7:50pm. We were lucky that there was no boat traffic and little wind and current. After 13 hours of motoring we were exhausted. We had a bowl of cereal and went to bed.

We spent the next few days relaxing and catching up with friends at FMB, including our Kokomo, IN friends from Osprey who were staying at their friend's Cape Coral condo while he continued to build strength after his emergency head surgery. The majority of our boating friends are from Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage (CHBS) where we store our boats. The friendships built at CHBS are close and supportive at all times, but especially when one of us is sick. Everyone in position to help did willing and happily. For instance some who were still in the boatyard drove Osprey's car down to Fort Myers so they could use it. Our friend's boating season is over, he needs to get back to Indiana to meet with doctors. He was feeling well enough to take Osprey back to the boatyard from FMB. He asked if I would go with him on this 8 hour trip. We shared time at the wheel and had a nice sail north anchoring outside the South Gulf Cove lock. We got up at 2am and had no issues getting through the lock at a rising high tide. In fact we didn't bump the bottom the whole way back to the CHBS dock. You have to consider this when your boat's draft is 6 feet. Kim and I stayed with our friends for a couple days helping with some of the heavy lifting chores. Soon they will be done putting Osprey up and driving home. Hopefully next season will be better for Osprey.

Kim and I are back on Delilah at FMB on ball #36. We considered heading south, before she flew back home for her week with Brynn attending ISBVI, but decided against it. She moved her flight to an earlier date so that she could attend the state gymnastics meet for another one our granddaughters. We are back to a more normal swing of things in the mooring field ... pun intended! The next big plans are for me to sail Delilah south to Marco Island to be close our oldest daughter's family who will be spending a week there on spring break. Kim will be flying down with them when they come.


Fair winds and following seas,
Mark & Kim aboard S/V Delilah
Comments
Delilah's Photos - Main
7th season aboard Delilah - February 2022
22 Photos
Created 5 February 2022
7th season aboard Delilah - January 2022
21 Photos
Created 16 January 2022
6th season aboard Delilah - February 2021
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2021
6th season aboard Delilah - January 2021
37 Photos
Created 5 January 2021
5th season aboard Delilah - March 2020
22 Photos
Created 4 April 2020
5th season aboard Delilah - February 2020
63 Photos
Created 4 February 2020
5th season aboard Delilah ... January 2020
35 Photos
Created 22 January 2020
4th season aboard Delilah ... April 2019
13 Photos
Created 5 May 2019
4th season aboard Delilah ... March 2019
49 Photos
Created 4 May 2019
4th season aboard Delilah ... February 2019
37 Photos
Created 2 February 2019
4th season aboard Delilah ... January 2019
31 Photos
Created 15 January 2019
2 Photos
Created 29 December 2018
April 2018 - third season aboard Delilah
13 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
3rd season aboard Delilah ... March 2018
63 Photos
Created 3 March 2018
3rd season aboard Delilah ... February 2018
67 Photos
Created 9 February 2018
3rd season aboard Delilah ... January 2018
25 Photos
Created 24 January 2018
13 Photos
Created 5 April 2017
83 Photos
Created 1 March 2017
42 Photos
Created 2 February 2017
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 7 January 2017
49 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
Getting Delilah ready for 2nd season.
3 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
15 Photos
Created 9 February 2016