Adventures of S/V Boomerang!

Preparing for the Offshore Rally -

05 June 2014 | LaTrappe Creek
29 May 2013 | Chesapeake Bay
29 May 2013 | Chesapeake Bay
18 April 2013 | Oxford,MD
03 May 2010 | Kent Narrows to Knapps Narrows
19 April 2010 | Kent Island, MD
30 March 2010 | St Michaels, MD
13 February 2010 | Kent Narrows, MD
10 February 2010 | St Michaels, MD
09 February 2010 | Yacht Yard, Kent Narrows
02 February 2010 | Home Port
29 December 2009 | St Michaels, MD

Boomerang! Finally Back in the Water!!

03 May 2010 | Kent Narrows to Knapps Narrows
CS - Mostly Sunny, 61, 20-30 knts
Well, after a long hard winter on the hard, Boomerang! finally splashed this past Thursday. With a falling tide, 20-30 out of the west and a nice chop, my business partner and I were looking forward to a nice slog south to Boomerang!'s new home on the middle Chesapeake. As we made our way out through skinny waters on a falling tide out to the Eastern Bay Channel, we hoisted sail and began flying south down the Bay.

All was right with the world.......then, with a quick shift to the northwest the main blew! With the 110 out, we made great time south. Later in the day as the wind eased and seas lay down, and I hauled the 110, raised the 155 and we were flying again. A couple of hours later we made port, and checked the issue with the main. Seems that the head cringle parted....and dropped down the in mast furler (which I have hated since I bought her (always hated furling mains, frankly)) and while furling it in, it got all jammed up in the mast...what a nightmare.....

After getting to her slip we finally relieved the jammed main, and pulled her down. Seems the head cringle let go, giving me the immediate excuse to go ahead and get the rigging company to set up a time to pull the mast, and redo the whole thing....sandblast, awlgrip, new electrics, new standing and running rigging, baby stay, new everything....and folks, that is NOT a cheap venture!

Meanwhile, since I've decided to wait until November to do that, the old main (with the furling system I hate) is being rebuilt with new UV protection and all to get us through the season here, is underway at my local sail loft... Spent the day Saturday with friends aboard under the 155 alone, and man, what a blast! Does she fly!!

Hope everyone is well!

C

Comments
Vessel Name: Boomerang!
Vessel Make/Model: 1980 Cal 39, Mark II
Hailing Port: Oxford, MD
Crew: Capt Charles and Gina (Jib Chick)
About: Gina (Jib Chick) My Wife, My Partner and My Very Bestest Friend - Love Ya Babe!
Extra: Boomerang! is finally back in the water after another long hard winter....and her complete refit!

Who: Capt Charles and Gina (Jib Chick)
Port: Oxford, MD