Cruise of the Boundless

We've been threatening to do this for a while and now, by Jove, we've done it. We's gone sailing!

Georgetown Yacht Basin (Fredericktown)

28 October 2019 | Georgetown
Your friendly Narrative Manager Samantha Wells
Well hello y'all, I hope you're all having a great Fall season!

It's been a while since my last post as, with the exception of a quick side trip to see land-based family, it's been super-busy from the moment we tied Boundless at the dock in New Bedford, MA, at the end of September, to the moment we tied her at the dock in Georgetown Yacht Basin, MD, a week today, and provided her with much needed TLC after our long summer cruise north. With the above in mind I've decided, for your amusement, to list a selection of projects we've got done during this time, partly by ourselves, partly with the help of specialized folks. I hope this list can constitute a satisfactory- although by no means complete - answer to the layman's question "What do you do all day on a boat?" and further familiarize you with the old adage according to which "sh*t always breaks on a boat". Enjoy!

- Refrigeration repair (loosing coolant due to a leak): attempt no. 1, fail.
- Swapped house batteries (no, not the 9V Duracell...).
- Sorted and disposed of about 120 lbs of miscellaneous of different-color and thickness bits of lines that had accumulated during the years.
- End-for-ended the main halyard.
- Replaced the jaws in the main halyard brakes.
- Remove, repair, improve and reinstall main sail cover.
- End-for-ended the anchor rode and re-did the splice on the anchor chain
- Tried to alter side curtains, a fail for now.
- Cleaned rugs.
- Cleaned gray water boxes (I declare my true love for Mrs. Myers' Clean Day -Lavender-!)
- Cleaned shore power cable (really brought out all those beautiful acid-yellow undertones).
- Drank beer.
- Swore at poor wi-fi and cell connection at marinas (in Italian, Mon-Wed-Fri; in English all other days).
- Marveling at the prices of anything connected to a boat.
- Drank more beer.
- Evaluated fenders condition, sent two off for repair.
- Changed oil in both engines and both sail drives.
- Ordered pizza.
- Replaced wind turbine.
- Refilled propane tanks.
- Refrigeration repair attempt no. 2, success.
- Washed boat and rubbed compound.
- Remedial repair of lower halyard brake.
- Provisioned, with particular focus on chocolate.
- Replaced port alternator regulator.
- Installed TV. Now we have a sweet little movie room!
- Watched Netflix.
- Worked on insurance renewal.
- Practiced meditation to heal from dealing with insurance renewal.

P.S.: On a different topic, we endured a rather uncomfortable-but-will-make-for-great-conversation 24 hours at the dock in Newport due to severe weather - gusts to 48 knots, with loud squeaking of fenders and lines against the docks, and lots of motion. It was referred to in the news as a "bomb cyclone" (due to how fast the barometer drops, thanks Weather Channel David) and caused damage in various areas of New England. It wouldn't have been our first choice for where to wait it out, but it was time to get out of New Bedford Marina and the options available were limited.

Once the weather quieted down, we overnighted to the Delaware/Chesapeake Canal via Cape May, about a 230 miles trip that included a wild ride hitting the high teens on a close reach during the night, when the seas smoothed out a bit and true wind was in the mid-20s. Fast is good! The scenery was beautiful notwithstanding the rainy weather, with beautiful houses peeking out of the lush vegetation on the shores, and we were treated to a magnificent rainbow the morning after spending the night at anchor in Chesapeake City. We then proceeded to Georgetown Yacht Basin, where I'm writing from and which was actually one of the places we visited back when we were shopping for a boat (which now seems so long ago I'll have to go and look in my photo app when that was. Lame...).

By the way, on this last leg from Newport to the Canal we've hit 5,000 nautical miles since the beginning of our cruise on June 1st!! 5,000! That is not bruscolini (=peanuts)!!😊 Ciao!
Comments
Vessel Name: Boundless
Vessel Make/Model: Chris White Atlantic 57
Hailing Port: Gorda Sound
Crew: David & Samantha
Social:
Boundless's Photos - Main
55 Photos
Created 20 February 2024
61 Photos
Created 13 February 2023
20 Photos
Created 13 February 2023
47 Photos
Created 29 May 2022
79 Photos
Created 6 March 2021
70 Photos
Created 26 May 2020
98 Photos
Created 26 November 2019
74 Photos
Created 14 September 2019
Drawings, sketches and other artistic attempts by your Friendly Narrative Manager.
24 Photos
Created 3 August 2019
Our favorite pictures in this part of the cruise.
243 Photos
Created 22 June 2019
All about the boat
45 Photos
Created 22 June 2019