Bourdons Gallivant

29 July 2012
25 June 2012 | Honolulu
23 June 2012 | Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2012 | Honolulu!!!
21 June 2012
21 June 2012 | Off Oahu!!
20 June 2012
20 June 2012
19 June 2012
18 June 2012
16 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
15 June 2012 | 25 01.139'N:-145.021843 (1130)
14 June 2012
14 June 2012 | (from Honolulu)
14 June 2012

Leg 2 - day 16 (0800...and supplemental...)

17 June 2012
Capt John
OUT OF WATER?!!
OK OK OK.....misleading headline.....with a slight hint of truth. (I could have a whole new career) We did in fact run out of water in the water tank this morning. However we have some 20 gallons stowed in the kayaks,another 6 in a big blue water jug, piles of protein drinks, some V8's and a half case of beer. WE WILL BE FINE! That and it's about time to find out if the Gallivants water maker actually works! Oh....and there is water in our ditch bags and a brand new in the box hand operated water maker too. THAT will give us something to fill the time doing! So Beth,,,,,,,no need to worry. :)
Last night we had a bit of a blow come in. After all the slow dull days Justin and I welcomed it. Fill those sails we screamed (at no one but ourselves) and fill they did! So much so that Justin made the wise move and reduced sail on the jib that was full out while I made an attempt at sleep. He is become a very good sailor, thinking ahead, using good common sense and judgment.
To say the least it was a rough night. It did get better with Justin's adjustments but with the sea state Oscar was having a tough time holding course.
The stars were out like never before! the Milky Way so bright and evident you would've thought it was a big long cloud in the night sky. The Big Dipper and Polaris (the North Star) so huge and bright with no moon you could just about reach out and touch them both. the Phosphorous trail in our wake has really become amazing. Gallivant could be a comet streaking across the ocean with her tail/trail flowing some 20' to our stern, little greenish flecks twinkling and sparkling as we silently glide. Well, not silent really. The water is a constant surf sound around us, the wind makes her own sounds and Gallivant is a creaking groaning ship in motion. If she didn't flex she would break apart so I am ok with her squeaks, pops, and moans.
I woke to Gallivant heeling over too much.....and on the wrong side. I could feel us pounding into the swells and we should be going along with them. Oscar had lost it. (I have a love/hate relationship with him) We were going the wrong way.It must have just happened for according to the GPS we had not gone far. After changing our tack and a few more adjustments we are back on target for Honolulu, right at 600 miles to go. In the last 24 hours we went 137 miles. Another "weather system" ( STORM sounds SO dramatic don't you think?) is coming up on our tail and should catch us tonight. We will read the manual on the water maker after waking up from that exciting bit of read, attempt to make some fresh water. Then rest up the best we can. Me thinks tonight will be spent in the cockpit.
But we made 137 miles in the last 24 hrs, working to hold a course of 140-degrees.

(Supplemental: And not a drop to drink? NAY! After my study of the one page of operation from the manual, I contorted this 50 year old bod onto the small galley floor. (actually the floor of the cabin is called the sole) anyway, I get down there and re-familiar myself with the plumbing, valves n stuff that make up the system for the watermaker. I had already done this before back in Olympia and had a grasp of what did what and went where, what to do (and NOT to do. like pump saltwater into the freshwater tank) filled the pre-filter with clean seawater which is as blue as the sky out here. Set the valves in the proper (I hoped) position and hit the switch. She came to life and slowly the piston creating 1000 pounds of PSI to shove salt water through a membrane filter, removing the salt, dumping it overboard and diverting the remaining fresh water to a spigot on the sink for taste testing. I let it do its thing for 20 minutes before venturing a taste. Hmmm. A bouquet of musty pipes but no salt! IT WORKS!!
Now then: for every 15 gallons of seawater pumped through we get 1.4 gallons of fresh water which amounts to a dribble-de-trickle out of the pipe,,,,,,,,,an hour........14. Carry the 7 divide by the root of pie times MC2 and the tide half out should give us............a full 75 gallons in our water tank in about ....54 hours. Did I mention that the watermaker draws a good bit of power and the engine needs to be running while it's on?.......How much diesel IS left in the tank anyway?
...no worries though........I found one more bottle of Scotch under me bunk. WE'RE SAVED!!!)
Comments
Vessel Name: Gallivant
Vessel Make/Model: Alajuela 33
Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
Crew: John & Jenni Bourdon
About: Crew list for the Hawaii crossing: John (the Captain) Bourdon -- Bob (Dad) Bourdon -- Justin (son) Bourdon -- Case (aka: little brother) Webb (and Jenni will join the crew from Maui to Oahu)

Who: John & Jenni Bourdon
Port: Olympia, WA