Bravo

Bravo takes a winter vacation, from Maine to the Caribbean.

30 April 2018
19 April 2018
30 March 2018
02 March 2018
14 February 2018
06 February 2018
25 January 2018
12 January 2018
15 December 2017
08 December 2017
24 November 2017 | Antigua
01 September 2017 | Camden, Maine
21 May 2016

Late April to early May

04 May 2016
We've created a new favorite phrase--Grade A gray day. Say it out loud and you'll see its appeal. Unfortunately, we've had lots of chances to use it in the last week! And rain! A deluge, several days in a row, and we're grateful to be on an ark...I mean boat.

After six nights in Francis Bay we decided to go around to the southeastern side of St. John to try one of the harbors in Coral Bay. Coral Harbor is all private moorings, the Hurricane Hole area has day-use moorings and no anchoring, but Round Bay's Hansen Bay, inside Pelican Rock, looked promising. While motoring along, Tom revved the engine from our normal cruising speed at 2100 RPMs to the maximum recommended 2800, a normal check of engine performance. After several minutes, the alarm sounded, and we saw that the temperature had hit the red zone. We slowed, let it cool down, and resumed with no problems at 2100. The wind was strong out of the southeast, and as we came around into Sir Francis Drake Channel, we started plunging into good-sized waves. Rounding the eastern edge of St. John and turning southwest, we had a short unpleasant run wallowing in the troughs, and heading into Coral Bay it seemed unlikely that we'd find any calm anchorage. But tucked in the eastern shore were several boats at anchor--in Hansen Bay. For the first time it appeared that our chartplotter was wildly at odds with the reality of the configuration of the harbor--depth, hazardous areas, locations of rocks. We anchored in what we could see was a safe place, but in 45 feet of water rather than the 15 feet we expected. The two boats to port of us appeared to be in the hazardous area, but they were obviously doing fine where they were. I thought I'd snorkel the area as soon as we ate lunch. A little yellow houseboat-cum-bar motored into the bay, and set up business for beach goers. Tom got on the phone and made arrangements for someone to check the engine cooling issue at Nanny Cay on Monday.

But talk about Grade A gray day...while we were eating the rain started, and didn't stop for several hours, leading right into a dark, overcast evening. Saturday was more of the same--torrential rain interspersed with overcast. The little yellow bar boat came back during the deluge, and we didn't think they'd get any business, but along came Island Time, a commercial party boat. They dropped anchor near shore, and drifted down on one of the anchored sailboats, whose owner braved the downpour to fend off. While Island Time's passengers swam to the bar boat, her captain tried again and again to anchor, repeatedly drifting onto the sailboat, who had quickly deployed a slew of fenders. We enjoyed watching this comedy of errors while snugly sheltered under our cockpit enclosure. The rain continued throughout the day, and I never did snorkel to explore the bottom.

Sunday we motored back around to Leinster Bay, in anticipation of checking back into the BVI at Soper's Hole Monday morning on our way to Nanny Cay. More rain, more Grade A gray day. It cooled off, and we thought if the rain held off we'd have a good night's sleep. It only rained intermittently, but was still enough to bring the mosquitos and no-see-us out in full force. I'm itching all over. Now, Monday noon, we're in a slip at Nanny Cay, awaiting the engine work. And it's raining.

Update, Wednesday, May 4: We're at Bitter End Yacht Club for what's really the last time this season. The engine work (and refrigeration work and bottom-scrubbing) was successful, and yesterday we had a wonderful beat up the Sir Francis Drake Channel to North Sound, Virgin Gorda, on the first sunny day in a week! Looks like the Salty Dawg boats that are rallying back north mid-May are starting to gather here. We'll check out of the BVI at Gun Creek in the morning, have a nice sail back down Drake Channel, and spend one night at Francis Bay, St. John, before going to Frenchtown Marina to begin preparing for departure.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bravo
Vessel Make/Model: J/46
Hailing Port: Camden, Maine USA
Crew: Tom and Jane Babbitt
Bravo's Photos - Main
9 Photos
Created 9 May 2018
67 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Heading north...
13 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 March 2018
68 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Our many experiences approaching, in, and leaving Martinique.
45 Photos
Created 2 March 2018
The town of Portsmouth, the primary school where we worked, the anchorage, our trip up the Indian River
57 Photos
Created 6 February 2018
Some of Antigua, visiting libraries started by Hands Across the Sea, and some of Deshaies, Guadeloupe.
24 Photos
Created 19 January 2018
Sailing program in Falmouth, some Antigua scenery, Shawn and Mario measuring for the wind generator, a tiny gecko, Tom filling the water tanks, and a J-122 getting a color-transition wrap.
19 Photos
Created 15 December 2017
Views of Hermitage Bay hotel and the anchorage, and the Antigua Charter Yacht Show, day and night.
11 Photos
Created 8 December 2017
19 Photos
Created 1 December 2017
Bravo leaves Camden, arrives at Jolly Harbour, and we have a happy reunion!
22 Photos
Created 24 November 2017
Final days in the Virgins, then home.
9 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Exploring more of St. John, back to the BVI for engine work.
15 Photos
Created 4 May 2016
USVI, BVI, and back. Camouflaged goats, cruise ships, Aragorn's Studio, and yet another J/46.
26 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
We spent a week in Culebra, PR, and then returned to St. Thomas.
19 Photos
Created 12 April 2016
We return to the US Virgin Islands after our unexpected week and a half in New England.
8 Photos
Created 3 April 2016
The first half of the month is spent getting Tom well.
3 Photos
Created 23 March 2016
In which we attend the Salty Dawg party, make new friends, and socialize with them.
9 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
From Leinster Bay to Sapphire Bay, then back to Leinster, over to the BVIs, and a haul out at Nanny Cay. Then back to North Sound.
22 Photos
Created 17 February 2016
Wherein I rediscover the joy of expressing my creative side.
5 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
From St. Barth back to North Sound, Virgin Gorda.
14 Photos
Created 21 January 2016
From the Virgins to St. Kitts, and back to St. Barth.
59 Photos
Created 18 January 2016
Back to St. Thomas, visit to the hospital, trip to the laundromat. The video of the plane landing might not play--too bad! It's really cool!
8 Photos
Created 5 January 2016
To St. Thomas, Christmas, Laura & Mike's visit. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get these into chronological order. And adding captions is frustratingly hard.
36 Photos
Created 2 January 2016
Tarpon at Saba Rock, Christmas lights, doing odd jobs
8 Photos
Created 17 December 2015
Harbors at St. John and Soper's Hole, then back to North Sound.
11 Photos
Created 14 December 2015
Pictures of our times at Peter Island, Cooper Island, Marina Cay, the dinghy oar retrieval at Jost Van Dyke, the RC 44 races, and then back to North Sound.
27 Photos
Created 5 December 2015
From the Salty Dawgs dinner at the Bitter End to Thanksgiving dinner in Boston.
5 Photos
Created 29 November 2015
More haircut pictures, Nanny Cay, Jost Van Dyke...
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2015
Our departure from Blue Water Yachting Center, some offshore pictures, and a few shots here in the BVI. The last two are today at Nanny Cay.
21 Photos
Created 18 November 2015
13 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
From Long Island Sound to Annapolis
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
From Camden to Newport
16 Photos
Created 25 September 2015