Where WAS Brick House...The First Eight Years

Please visit our NEW WEB SITE: http://WhereIsBrickHouse.com

20 April 2016
05 October 2015 | Malaysia, island of Borneo
19 September 2015 | Kuching/Santubong
01 July 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
23 May 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
17 April 2015 | Venu Island
01 April 2015
12 March 2015 | Tioman
01 March 2015 | Papua, Indonesia
26 February 2015 | West Shore of Papua Indonesia
21 January 2015 | Raja Ampat, Indonesia
05 January 2015 | Gam and Waigeo, Raja Ampat
31 December 2014 | Misool, Indonesia
31 December 2014 | Masool, Indonesia
24 December 2014 | Indonesia
21 October 2014 | Philippines
04 June 2014 | Davao
17 April 2014 | Pacific

Coconuts are always a treat!

14 November 2010 | Waya, Yasawas, Fiji
Rebecca and Patrick Childress
With no alternative and many stops along the way, we made it back as the sun was setting, and my legs were just about done for.

The three children still had springs in their legs. We asked them to wait on the beach while Patrick took the dinghy to Brick House. He came back with sunglasses, magazines, small bags of candy and tooth brushes for the kids. They were pleased with their gifts and we were pleased with their antics and day of entertainment which helped distract the agony in my legs. It was early lights out on Brick House and the boat remained quiet well into the next morning.

Several months prior to our dropping anchor here, it was cyclone season. The 50 foot yacht "Moonduster", made by Swan yachts, remained in the Yasawa group for that season for which most other cruisers make the long trip south to New Zealand or north to the Marshall islands to escape. With the approach of a cyclone, Moonduster chose to stay in this anchorage which is totally open to wind and ocean waves from the west and south. A week before we arrived, the owners of the shore burned Moon Duster (we could see the original Swan yachts were made of stainless steel ribs and mahogany planking. Everything was fastened with stainless steel bolts and glue. First class work, a very strong boat.) as the hull was obstructing the wash of waves causing severe beach erosion in one area.

Long before our arrival, the owner of the yacht had taken his personal belongings off of the boat and walked away from everything else. Winches, outboard engine, plastic cases of boat parts and hundreds of boat items were stored in a number of thatch roofed sheds, "donated" to the village. We picked out a bunch of spare hose clamps, a container of silicone grease and a few other things for which we paid a few dollars. Some of the best things like the life raft, running poles etc. had been spoken for shortly before we arrived. Too bad that big beautiful, high performance jib was too big for our boat. One day a group of cruisers got together with wrenches and saws to help dismantle parts of the charred lower hull which the fire could not complete before the tide came back in. The villagers are trying to recover the lead keel from the sand and sell as scrap metal in Lautoka. But it is like having a huge mound of gold that is so much it is near useless as it cannot be moved by hand. There are no torches available to cut it into small manageable pieces. That keel is slowly settling deeper into the sand with every tide change.

In the Yasawa group, there has been a drought. The worst in fifteen years. Patrick hiked with the manager of the Octopus Resort, "Freezer", an hour into the mountains to the source of the water which supplies the village and resort. There was hardly any water left. Maybe two days worth. After cleaning the wire filter into the 3" PVC pipe, there was nothing else to be done. When the water runs out the tourists will have to use the ocean for a bath.

The next day we sailed on to Manta Ray Bay. We quickly learned the manta rays which swarm here are very seasonal and had moved on several weeks before. Since we were anchored between two islands the current was strong, sounding like rapids all night. There is a small resort near this spot. This is why some cruisers like sailing this area; hotel food and a beach bar is always close by.

Over head the storm clouds were building and we wanted to get to a snug anchorage before the bad weather dumped on us. We chose Somosomo Bay on the north side of Naviti. The wind never came, but 48 hours of heavy rain came and filled our water jugs, our water tanks, our pots and pans, our dinghy, and all of our buckets. All our laundry got a very thorough washing, all the snorkeling gear was generously rinsed, even the bilge and engine room got a fresh water washing. What to do with all this fresh water? Certainly, Freezer, at Octopus Resort, was wet with happiness.

Tribute anchored near us. Delaney, Larry and I managed to go ashore between the drops and give sevusevu with the chief and meet a few of the locals. One invited us in to their home for tea and conversation. We went home with lemon leaves for our tea, and each of us girls with a homemade shell necklace, with the definite statement that he would like a battery or two in exchange. One of them had mentioned that if we need any fruits or vegetables to come ask him.

At night a boat went by in the dark, cut their engine then called to us. When we went out to the cockpit, they pulled up to show us the lobster they had caught. It was a nice big lobster, ready for the pot. They told us that they wanted to sell it, the price? $30. I would have thought $5. Obviously these people have been negatively influenced by their exposure to tourists. Patrick shined the flashlight in to the bottom of their boat. He could see a dead manta ray and a small turtle turned upside down. There were no worthwhile fish. Even night fishing in Yasawa produces little. They motored off to Tribute but didn't make a sale there either. There is a ban on catching turtles in Fiji but there is no enforcement.

The next morning, in between some raindrops, the same man we met on shore the day before rowed out with 5 nice papayas, and 4 bunches of bananas. We had him on the boat for tea, for he was cold from being wet by the rain. We sent him home with new line to replace the string on the front of his kayak, a T-shirt and a fillet knife. He was also given a DVD on the difficult life cycle of the Hawksbill turtle. About one in a thousand hatchlings might make it to adulthood. He was thrilled.

The rains continued. We watched movies, finished reading books and rewrote articles and rewrote them again. It is amazing how a person can stay busy in such a tiny space.
Vessel Name: Brick House
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 40 #134
Hailing Port: Middletown, RI USA
Crew: Patrick and Rebecca Childress
Extra:
Patrick completed a solo-circumnavigation on Juggernaut, a Catalina 27 in his younger days. He has been published in most U.S. and many foreign sailing magazines, for both his writing and photography. He co-authored a book titled "The Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay and the South Coast of [...]
Home Page: http://www.whereisbrickhouse.com
Social:
Brick House 's Photos - (Main)
19 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
All sorts of tropical animals and insects
No Photos
Created 5 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 17 April 2015
16 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
21 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
Underwatr
24 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
8 Photos
Created 24 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 21 October 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 April 2014
Captured turtle images
21 Photos
Created 3 March 2014
6 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additiona Images
4 Photos
Created 18 December 2013
We decided to take the slow route, down the sidewalk..ie the Intracoastal Waterway, the ICW. We went slowly, and smelled the flowers along the way. We are with old friends of Patricks, new friends of mine...Art and Grace Ormaniec, in Manteo, North Carolina.
2 Photos
Created 26 October 2007
3 Photos
Created 10 October 2007
6 Photos
Created 28 April 2007
AT THE END, Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! And I still have my Arizona driver license!! '