Where WAS Brick House...The First Eight Years

Please visit our NEW WEB SITE: http://WhereIsBrickHouse.com

20 April 2016
05 October 2015 | Malaysia, island of Borneo
19 September 2015 | Kuching/Santubong
01 July 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
23 May 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
17 April 2015 | Venu Island
01 April 2015
12 March 2015 | Tioman
01 March 2015 | Papua, Indonesia
26 February 2015 | West Shore of Papua Indonesia
21 January 2015 | Raja Ampat, Indonesia
05 January 2015 | Gam and Waigeo, Raja Ampat
31 December 2014 | Misool, Indonesia
31 December 2014 | Masool, Indonesia
24 December 2014 | Indonesia
21 October 2014 | Philippines
04 June 2014 | Davao
17 April 2014 | Pacific

We are married now and living aboard!

13 July 2007 | Sakonnet Brewers Marina
Rebecca Childress
Sorry I havent written for a while...a lot has been happening!

Patrick and I got married on the 4th of July. Everything went just the way we planned it, and it was a beautifull memorable day in every way...From walking down the aisle (dock) with my dad, to stopping the progression to have my picture taken with dad by Ian- Patricks brother in law that managed to make it to the wedding despite a death in his family, to almost losing my vail every 60 seconds... Patrick was an unbelievable groom holding my hands through much of the ceremony, and shedding a tear or two during our vows! He made the most eloquent, complimentary toast after the wedding that I will remember forover. Married on the front of the bow, Patrick and I will celebrate every 4th of July for a while, wherever we are in the world, right where we got married- on the bow of our Brick House! The fireworks at the end of the evening on a neighboring tour boat - The Gansett, a beautiful boat from Maine, were fantastic - we were up very close, and despite the pouring rain, we were comfortable, dry , well fed and well lubricated!!It was truly a wonderful day!

Two days after the wedding, we had to prepare our house for our tenants, and for our move on to Brick House.

A couple of thoughts about the process so far ( We have been officially onboard now for 3 days and 2 nights...this being our 3rd.)

1. We are ALWAYS in eachothers way- it takes repacing oneself to just wait for the person to finish what they are doing so you can pass by them. It seems to take Patrick less getting used to than me...maybe he just has more patience. I LOVE being with him all the time and having him so close to me, but it does get annoying to always have to stop dead in my tracks to wait for him to move!! I suppose I will either get used to that, or get more aggravated by it!

2.The refrigeration is COMPLETELY broken now...Once in a while we buy something cold and a package of icecubes, but for the most part we are just eating things that either don't have to be refridgerated, or are taking chances with things that are SUPPOSE to be refridgerated but arent. For example...I have discovered today that MILK will help with constipation if left out of the refridgrator for 24 hours.. Not enough to make you sick, just enough to be medicinal!

3.The stove/oven is somewhat on its last legs...We are down to just 2 working burners. We havent tried the oven yet, but assume that it works. We are trying to find a deeply discounted one, or slightly used one to replace the old one with, since most of the parts arent made for that stove any more.

4.The fresh water - well both tanks had more wildlife in them than water. We think one tank is leaking although we arent sure if it's a tank, a fitting or a hose yet. The baffle ( a wall diving the tank in half so large amounts of water don't wildly move from side to side while in waves) was completely broken in one of the tanks. This was allowing the huge amount of water in the tank, along with the huge metal baffled to slosh around the tank...Always wondered what that loud crashing noise coming from that tank was all about...We have found a paint to put inside the tanks to hopefully buy some more life from the tanks. We know sister-ships who have since replaced their water tanks - so we know we are on borrowed time with these 30+ year old tanks. So the tanks are clean at least now...but we still have to find out if the glue we used (3M 5200) to put the baffle backtogether will always be a source of poison for us to drink or not. Someone says it has arsenic in it to help it cure...

5.I have WAY to many clothes, and we have way too many books. The next several weeks will be spent further paring things down, in addition to getting the boat ready to depart! Patrick has about 6 tshirts, 3 of which he says he will throw out when they get dirty. I must have 50 t-shirts...so far I've been able to part with 3 of them.

6.We have a nice boat! Despite many systems still needing TLC I look around our boat and are so pleased with the progress since the boat came out of the water 3 years ago. She is our home, and both of us have spent hours lounging at night, beaming about how nice our home is coming along!

We are happy to be aboard, and feel so fortunate to be with another person that is as equally excited about this whole thing11...We can't believe we found eachother, and that our whole adventure has begun!! 6-8 more weeks at the dock, and then we cut the cords, and take off!!

We hope you will follow our adventures on this web site! I will try to update it a little sooner next time!!! Stay tuned!
Vessel Name: Brick House
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 40 #134
Hailing Port: Middletown, RI USA
Crew: Patrick and Rebecca Childress
Extra:
Patrick completed a solo-circumnavigation on Juggernaut, a Catalina 27 in his younger days. He has been published in most U.S. and many foreign sailing magazines, for both his writing and photography. He co-authored a book titled "The Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay and the South Coast of [...]
Home Page: http://www.whereisbrickhouse.com
Social:
Brick House 's Photos - (Main)
19 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
All sorts of tropical animals and insects
No Photos
Created 5 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 17 April 2015
16 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
21 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
Underwatr
24 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
8 Photos
Created 24 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 21 October 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 April 2014
Captured turtle images
21 Photos
Created 3 March 2014
6 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additiona Images
4 Photos
Created 18 December 2013
We decided to take the slow route, down the sidewalk..ie the Intracoastal Waterway, the ICW. We went slowly, and smelled the flowers along the way. We are with old friends of Patricks, new friends of mine...Art and Grace Ormaniec, in Manteo, North Carolina.
2 Photos
Created 26 October 2007
3 Photos
Created 10 October 2007
6 Photos
Created 28 April 2007
AT THE END, Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! And I still have my Arizona driver license!! '