Where WAS Brick House...The First Eight Years

Please visit our NEW WEB SITE: http://WhereIsBrickHouse.com

20 April 2016
05 October 2015 | Malaysia, island of Borneo
19 September 2015 | Kuching/Santubong
01 July 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
23 May 2015 | Bali, Indonesia
17 April 2015 | Venu Island
01 April 2015
12 March 2015 | Tioman
01 March 2015 | Papua, Indonesia
26 February 2015 | West Shore of Papua Indonesia
21 January 2015 | Raja Ampat, Indonesia
05 January 2015 | Gam and Waigeo, Raja Ampat
31 December 2014 | Misool, Indonesia
31 December 2014 | Masool, Indonesia
24 December 2014 | Indonesia
21 October 2014 | Philippines
04 June 2014 | Davao
17 April 2014 | Pacific

Next Time, A Bigger Lens & Tripod

05 January 2015 | Gam and Waigeo, Raja Ampat
Patrick and Rebecca
The Red Bird of Paradise


If only I had a Howitzer length lens for my Minolta, like native porters carry around for those photographers at National Geographic.

Rebecca and I had watched both the National Geographic and BBC specials, about all the expense and trouble their photographers went through flying half way around the world, trekking forever into the high jungles, carrying tens of thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment, setting up camouflaged blinds, then all the sitting for days to capture images of the most beautiful birds in the world, the Bird of Paradise.

There could have been a much easier way for those photographers. All they had to do is jump on a sailboat and cruise to a spot in Indonesia, 27 miles south of the equator, and anchor near us. To photograph the birds, along with some cruising friends we simply woke up and by 5AM, dinghied ashore on the island of Gam, in Raja Ampat. From the beach, our guide signaled with a flashlight where to land and pull the dinghy onto the beach. With dim lamps strapped to our foreheads we could just keep from stumbling over shadowed tree roots and slippery rocks. There were 6 of us cruisers chugging our way up the steep, jungle enclosed, trail. It was a heart thumping, lung pumping climb but no one balked. There seemed not to be a competition to win but a competition not to be the first to fall behind, out of line, or ask for a break. I could hear our physically strong friend, who still smokes cigarettes puffing heavily at the humid morning air. We had to be at the blind before sunup at 6AM. In 45 minutes of tramping our shirts were soaked with sweat but relief was just ahead as we could see a clearing at the top of the mountain.

It was dark but the sky to the east was brightening. We had 15 minutes to settle in behind the canvas and brush blind before we would become silent, serious, bird watchers. I parked on a rough lumber plank set on log supports. With my camera resting on a solid tree branch, I had the perfect support for stability and rotation to follow the action to come.

With excited eyes and a mute voice, our guides outstretched arm tracked something in the trees to the east. In one area high and not quite over head, all the branches were void of leaves allowing a clear view through the limbs and out to the brightening sky beyond. What he saw no one else did. But in a few moments, what began as a flitting of a dim object across the opening, punctuated by a few bird sounds, was soon fueled by the brightening sky. Red Bird of Paradise soon made a racket of noise and whirled about the branches full in our view. It wasn't just one but many birds in a full on display of hopping, shimmying, fanning, dancing and all the things Birds of Paradise do for the game of "who gets the girl". All the bright males must have been exciting studs as there was nothing fussy or inhibiting about the girls. Everything quickly became a wild party of mix and match, swap and swap. 45 minutes later, with the sun full above the horizon, all the Red Bird of Paradise suddenly went home, and so did we. With only a 300mm lens, the images would need to be exploded to a grainy rendition but would be our scrap book memory of one of the most rare natural sightings we have witnessed while circling the world.

A week later at the island of Waigeo, Raja Ampat, Rebecca and I again made an early morning rise, but this time at 3AM and hiked nonstop for 2 hours high into the mountains of Sapokren. When we made it to the top, Rebeca wondered how she would ever make it back down again - it was an arduous and fast hike to get there on time. This time we were hidden from view from the Wilson Bird of Paradise. The colorful male bird clears an area of ground free of branches and leaves for his stage show to lure in an attractive lady. Males came and went but only one did his Chip And Dale Routine, and only briefly. I almost got the picture of a life time but without a steadying branch or tripod to rest the camera, it is an amateurish blur. So close to such an incredible picture! If I were a professionally motivated photographer, it would have been so easy to spend more mornings in this spot and get the National Geographic quality image even with my stunted camera lens. But there will be more animals, more sights and more photo practice as we continue through Indonesia.

Indonesia has proved to be one of our favorite cruising grounds. In part it is so good because it is not visited by masses of cruising boats which inundate more traditional areas like Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands.
Vessel Name: Brick House
Vessel Make/Model: Valiant 40 #134
Hailing Port: Middletown, RI USA
Crew: Patrick and Rebecca Childress
Extra:
Patrick completed a solo-circumnavigation on Juggernaut, a Catalina 27 in his younger days. He has been published in most U.S. and many foreign sailing magazines, for both his writing and photography. He co-authored a book titled "The Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay and the South Coast of [...]
Home Page: http://www.whereisbrickhouse.com
Social:
Brick House 's Photos - (Main)
19 Photos
Created 8 October 2015
All sorts of tropical animals and insects
No Photos
Created 5 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 17 April 2015
16 Photos
Created 1 March 2015
21 Photos
Created 26 February 2015
Underwatr
24 Photos
Created 21 January 2015
8 Photos
Created 24 December 2014
10 Photos
Created 21 October 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 April 2014
Captured turtle images
21 Photos
Created 3 March 2014
6 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Additiona Images
4 Photos
Created 18 December 2013
We decided to take the slow route, down the sidewalk..ie the Intracoastal Waterway, the ICW. We went slowly, and smelled the flowers along the way. We are with old friends of Patricks, new friends of mine...Art and Grace Ormaniec, in Manteo, North Carolina.
2 Photos
Created 26 October 2007
3 Photos
Created 10 October 2007
6 Photos
Created 28 April 2007
AT THE END, Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! And I still have my Arizona driver license!! '