BRILLIANT'S LOG

"No matter where you go... there you are." Buckeroo Banzai

01 January 2011 | Stuart Florida Cruisers BBQ
30 October 2009 | Annapolis Boat Show
01 October 2009 | Dinghy Raft Up
20 September 2009 | Lucky Bird at Anchor Cacaway Island, MD
18 September 2009 | Riding the Flood Tide, Delaware Bay
18 September 2009 | TigerLily and Gramps on a Maine Lake
08 August 2009 | Rounding Small Point, Maine.
22 July 2009 | Roseate Spoonbill
04 July 2009 | The New Rudder Quadrant
18 May 2009 | Repaired Rudder!
18 April 2009 | Jacksonville, FL
17 February 2009 | Chart of Boot Key Harbor
07 February 2009 | "Brilliant" hard aground, Lake Sylvia, Ft. Lauderdale
29 December 2008 | Jewell Island, Maine
02 July 2008 | At sea off the New Jersey coast
23 June 2008 | Horn Harbor, VA "Painted Skies" dock
14 May 2008 | "Brilliant" Pasquatank River, NC
27 April 2008 | Cape Fear River
24 April 2008 | "Brilliant" at sea off South Carolina
24 December 2007 | Falmouth, Maine. Grandchildren TigerLily and Lion on the foredeck

A Bad Day

18 April 2009 | Jacksonville, FL
Large Chunk of Rudder Missing!
Sometimes storms are stronger than predicted. This time we were caught and found ourselves in peril.

After spending the past two months cruising from Jacksonville to Key West and back we were planning on leaving the boat on a mooring at NAS Jacksonville and flying to the west coast to visit family there. We arrived on Friday and scrambled to get everything done to prepare "Brilliant" to be left for a couple of weeks. On Tuesdays our plans changed dramatically.

We were on a mooring ball in 8-10' of water at Mulberry Cove, Jacksonville, FL and were hit by a severe storm during a frontal passage. Forecast winds were for only 30 knots, but during our little ordeal we saw sustained winds of over 55 knots for at least 30 minutes. There was sufficient fetch on the river to quickly build fair sized waves with a very short period that put enough pressure on the mooring (even though I'd been motoring into the wind to ease the pressure) for "Brilliant" to pull the 10' mooring mud auger loose. It took time to cut my mooring lines to get away from the still attached mooring ball, dragging chain and auger. The wind was too much for our old Thornycroft 50 hp engine, I could not get her to come around to clear the lee shore. By the time I realized it was a lost cause the winds had pushed us too close to shore and my last ditch effort to drop the anchor out was too little too late. With the brown water breaking over the portside we were quickly laid over and pushed into about 3.5' of water. On the bright side we did stop 25' from the stone riprap along the shore; the bottom was sand; and most important neither of us was injured.

The damage. The rudder was chewed up not by a rock but by the steel auger mooring dragged in by another boat that beat us to shore. Our rudder seems to have landed on the auger as we were being pounded. I believe the quadrant was broken when the tow company heeled the boat over with a spare halyard while a more powerful tow boat pulled us out of the sandy mud. It was quite a ride with the 2" of water over the port rail, but it did get us clear.

It was a bad day for the marina. They had eleven boats damaged. One sank at their dock the other nine including ours were put on shore. Unfortunately, one boat did reach the riprap on the shoreline, was pounded by the waves and sank.

Pete
s/y "Brilliant
Moody 425
On the hard Sadler Point Marina, Jacksonville, FL
Comments
Vessel Name: Brilliant
Vessel Make/Model: Brilliant is a 1989 Moody 425.
Hailing Port: Pensacola
Crew: Stephanie & Pete Peterson
About:
We found "Brilliant" in Marmaris, Turkey in May 2001 while working on the Island of Crete. After Pete retired in April 2002 we moved aboard and began full time cruising. [...]
Extra: Brilliant's Log was and is written as a record of our travels. We started the e-mail logs in 2002 so that our family and friends could keep up with where we were and to share a bit of what the cruising life is all about. Hope you enjoy reading of our adventures!

The Crew

Who: Stephanie & Pete Peterson
Port: Pensacola