BRILLIANT'S LOG

"No matter where you go... there you are." Buckeroo Banzai

01 January 2011 | Stuart Florida Cruisers BBQ
30 October 2009 | Annapolis Boat Show
01 October 2009 | Dinghy Raft Up
20 September 2009 | Lucky Bird at Anchor Cacaway Island, MD
18 September 2009 | Riding the Flood Tide, Delaware Bay
18 September 2009 | TigerLily and Gramps on a Maine Lake
08 August 2009 | Rounding Small Point, Maine.
22 July 2009 | Roseate Spoonbill
04 July 2009 | The New Rudder Quadrant
18 May 2009 | Repaired Rudder!
18 April 2009 | Jacksonville, FL
17 February 2009 | Chart of Boot Key Harbor
07 February 2009 | "Brilliant" hard aground, Lake Sylvia, Ft. Lauderdale
29 December 2008 | Jewell Island, Maine
02 July 2008 | At sea off the New Jersey coast
23 June 2008 | Horn Harbor, VA "Painted Skies" dock
14 May 2008 | "Brilliant" Pasquatank River, NC
27 April 2008 | Cape Fear River
24 April 2008 | "Brilliant" at sea off South Carolina
24 December 2007 | Falmouth, Maine. Grandchildren TigerLily and Lion on the foredeck

On the Mend

18 May 2009 | Repaired Rudder!
04-09 Brilliant's Log

First we want to thank everyone for the encouraging e-mails we've received. They really helped when we were at our lowest.

We are back afloat at Sadler Point Marina, Jacksonville, FL and as you might imagine we've been somewhat busy since writing the last log entry. At that time we were just beginning to assess the damage and start the repairs. Now we'll try bringing you up to date.

Where we left off. TowBoatUS had done a great job getting us back into deep water and towed to the marina the day after we went ashore. The bill was over $2000 for the un-grounding and 6 mile tow. Thankfully, we have an unlimited towing policy with their company so we won't have to pay that bill. Safely at the marina and in no danger of sinking, we were put into a slip for the night.

A major issue for us was a planned trip to the west coast to visit family and friends starting the next day. The airline tickets were non-refundable, of course. After much discussion, Stephanie got on the plane and Pete remained behind to meet with the insurance surveyor and get the repairs started.

The survey went well with everyone in agreement on what work needed to be done and what the insurance should cover. Pete used the time to do the research in finding pieces and parts for "Brilliant's" repair and gain a clear understanding of the work that needed to be done. He found lot's help from the Seven Seas Cruising Association Discussion Board and the Moody Owners Association InfoExchange.

With work well in progress after about a week, Pete decided the yard would probably be fine without him hovering over them, so he joined Stephanie on the west coast. Brooks, the yard owner/manager, kept us in the loop during our absence by e-mail and photos.

Returning to Jacksonville on 11 May, after a wonderful visit with family in Portland, OR and Pleasant Hill CA, we found "Brilliant" in pretty good shape. The Yard had agreed it best to hold the re-launch until we could see the completed repairs. We were very pleased to see the quality of the rudder repair (photo above) and the keel reattached. Our inspection completed, they completed their work and applied two coats of anti-fouling bottom paint. Rather than live aboard on the hard while waiting for the bottom paint dry, we got a hotel room for two nights. Florida summer has arrived and we did enjoy those two nights of air conditioning to escape the heat and humidity.

Just about a month from the ordeal, "Brilliant" went back into the water on 13 May with all the bottom repairs completed.

There is now only one problem left to fix... the rudder quadrant (fits to the top of the rudder shaft and is connected to the steering wheel via cables) was also damaged. Made of cast aluminum, the 15" quadrant can't be safely repaired. The challenge is that the original company that made the quadrant, was bought out by a large UK marine supplier (Lewmar) and no one had a spare on hand. Lewmar's customer service leaves much to be desired, in my option. It took three weeks just to make contact and get the replacement on order. Then to make it worse, they said they would need eight weeks lead time to have the replacement made. What that adds up to is that if the eight weeks is accurate, we'll be getting the part around the 5th of July. OUCH! So, without the ability to steer "Brilliant" we'll be here until the part arrives.

In the meantime, we are settling in for a long stay at the marina. The marina is in a good location with easy walking distance to a small shopping center with a big supermarket, two marine chandleries, and an excellent used bookstore, plus easy access to public transportation as well.

Log 6 NM (under tow)
Comments
Vessel Name: Brilliant
Vessel Make/Model: Brilliant is a 1989 Moody 425.
Hailing Port: Pensacola
Crew: Stephanie & Pete Peterson
About:
We found "Brilliant" in Marmaris, Turkey in May 2001 while working on the Island of Crete. After Pete retired in April 2002 we moved aboard and began full time cruising. [...]
Extra: Brilliant's Log was and is written as a record of our travels. We started the e-mail logs in 2002 so that our family and friends could keep up with where we were and to share a bit of what the cruising life is all about. Hope you enjoy reading of our adventures!

The Crew

Who: Stephanie & Pete Peterson
Port: Pensacola