round we go!!

Vessel Name: Bubbles
Vessel Make/Model: Fast Passage 39
Hailing Port: Seymour IN
17 September 2012 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVIs
22 July 2012
10 June 2012 | St. Martin
04 June 2012 | St. Martin
31 May 2012 | Saba Rock
19 May 2012 | english harbour, antigua
07 May 2012 | Bridgetown, Barbados
27 April 2012 | Georgetown, Guyana
22 April 2012 | Paramaribo, Suriname
19 April 2012 | French Guyana
13 April 2012 | Atlantic Ocean somewhere off of South America
08 April 2012 | Amazon River, Macapa, Brazil
01 April 2012 | Amazon River, Brazil
30 March 2012 | Tapajos River, Brazil
28 March 2012 | Amazon River, Brazil
21 March 2012 | Xingu River, Brazil
20 March 2012 | Amazonia, Brazil
18 March 2012 | Para River, Brazil
18 March 2012 | Belem, Brazil
13 March 2012 | Capim River, Brazil
Recent Blog Posts
17 September 2012 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVIs

The final blog, Bubbles sold yesterday

First lets go back to that week in May in the British Virgin Islands… we had over 20 sparkling crew on board Bubbles (all wearing the coral crew shirts) approaching the round-the-world finish line at Nanny Cay. With only a few hundred feet to go the propeller fell off. Not being able to raise sail [...]

22 July 2012

the last leg sail

We had good wind on the morning we set sail to complete the 90 mile last leg (from St. Martin to Tortola in the British Virgin Islands) of Bubble’s circumnavigation. With a full boat, I was on deck explaining some navigational markers to some of the more virgin crew when Trevor at the helm yelled [...]

10 June 2012 | St. Martin

Magic Aboard Bubbles

That night in St. Martin the party aboard Bubbles can only be described as magical. With Christmas lights strung up both in the rigging to light the deck, and in the interior to light below, a special glow illuminated the boat that had carried us around the world. Paddy King lead a conga line of Bubbles [...]

04 June 2012 | St. Martin

The Round the World Pre Party Begins!!

The seven of us woke well before sunup to the Indiana Jones theme song cranked over the Bubbles sound system. Sails were up by sunrise with Paddy King at the helm and brother Joe standing by as we watched the morning light illuminate mountainous Saba's cliffs rising from the sea. With 20 knots of wind [...]

31 May 2012 | Saba Rock

the Sea Hawk 4 takes flight

The day sail to Barbuda was sunny with good wind and buzzing excitement from both new crew and old. Arriving in the poorly charted waters we ran aground, but jumping into a shallow sea full of starfish isn't a bad place to get stuck. Ashore the six of us strolled on an endless beach of pink sand with [...]

19 May 2012 | english harbour, antigua

Adding more Bubbles

Bubbles and crew ran completely broke of funds after Carine flew back to Amsterdam. Having neither cash nor credit via any type of card, Diego and I resorted to trading. For a couple dive tanks we got the jib sail repaired, for a regulator we got fresh produce out of a local garden. We were able [...]

MILFs and motor trouble

11 February 2011 | Cebu, Philipines
captain alex
We did an overnight in Surigao on Mindanao island rafting up with a fishing vessel with 20 or so Phlipinos aboard. We had been warned to watch out for MILFs (Moro Islamic Liberation Front) who had been trying since 1978 to set up an Islamic state there but instead encountered only friendlies on our short stop. Walking through town that evening the liveliest event happened to be a funeral held on main steet with the streets blocked off with tables and chairs where family members were each sipping on their own bottle of Tanduay rhum. Thinking it was a bar with everyone stumbling in and out of an adjacent building with drink in hand Ben and I proceded inside to find ourselves directly in front of a casket. We were invited by the family to stay and we spent the night drinking rhum, eating soup, and saying local prayers to the deceaced Felix.

The next morning as we pulled out of Surigao's harbor the engine died with no warning and with the wind picking up and a potential typhoon approaching we continued on sailing towards Cebu (a typhoon shelter over 100nm away). I changed fuel filters and bled the engine repeatedly with no luck of getting it started again. Later that night with no engine and becalmed I became worried as we drifted towards the reef on the north side of Bohol island but the wind gods smiled upon us and after an hour we were sailing again, however with no engine to cut through the reef pass in the dark we had to extend our trip 25 miles going around the trecherous reef and numerous fish traps in the darkness.

By morning we were on approach to Mactan island and the channel that seperates it from the much larger Cebu island (2nd most populuated area of the Philipines) and with current taking us swiftly through the channel and winds at our backs we were only going to have one shot at making the tiny yacht club entrance with no engine. With Ben at the helm and Shannon on look for fish traps Kirk and I readied the dingy and when Kirk handed me the bulky 15 hp Yamaha over the stern rail I nearly lost it as we were simultaneously rocked by a wave. I fired up the dingy and ran ahead of Bubbles into the yacht club looking for help (nobody has vhfs on here) and was pleasantly surprised to see a Canadian friend Steve (first met in Bora Bora) who immediately jumped in to help and along with the help of JoJo and the jet propulsion dingy from one of the super yachts we backed Bubbles into a half-slip space (the marina was full) with a little tetris skill right beside our French friends on the catamaran (who we had been cruising with since PNG). A party was quickly arranged aboard to celebrate our arrival and we exchanged stories of our passage from Palau over local beers and rum and even (of course) French wine and cheese which Ben particularly seemed to enjoy.

The next morning work started on the engine and with some help from other boaters the thought was that the injectors were bad and so after removing them I ran them into a shop in Cebu by taking the local transport of a jeepny (basically a colorfully painted pick up truck with bench seats in the back of which the 45 minute ride costs only 15 cents). Upon my return I was surpised to see the entire yatch club abuzz with activity as lines were being spiderwebbed all over the place to anything solid. I asked Steve what was going on and was told that NOAA had just put out the chance of a typhoon hitting at 60%. I worked my way through the webbing back to Bubbles and emptied the lazerettes for any and all line we had so we could make our own spider web and then we waited.


About & Links