Don & Deb's Big Adventure Continues in Oz

We are now living in Melbourne, Australia after selling our beautiful yacht 'Buena Vista' in New Zealand. Even so...the big adventure will continue one way or another!

09 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Nine to New Zealand
08 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
07 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
06 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Six to New Zealand
05 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Five to New Zealand
04 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Four to New Zealand
03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
01 November 2014 | At Sea - Day One to New Zealand
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
24 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, fiji
23 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
18 September 2014 | Namataya Bay, Yasawas, Fiji
16 September 2014 | Malacati Village, Yasawas, Fiji
13 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
08 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
06 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Nanuya Levu Island, Fiji

Oil In The Bilge??? Not Again!

14 November 2012 | Outbound Tonga - Inbound New Zealand
Day 5 - 115 nautical miles. Approx. 600 miles to Opua, New Zealand. So far this passage has been a dream come true. After the beating the first fleet of boats took out here a few weeks ago I was pretty anxious. But so far we've had good sailing and no drama - until this morning. Since we are now moving through the BFH (big fat high), the winds were very light as expected and from the south, right on the nose. So we decided to start up the engine and keep moving, while making water at the same time. Don went to check the oil level as we always do before starting her up and I heard him say, "Oh No". Immediately I felt a knot in my stomach because I've heard those words before. Turns out he found oil in our bilge. What could it be? An engine leak of some kind. Serious? Not sure. Well he spent an hour in there checking everything and looking for the leak and couldn't find anything. The oil levels seemed fine, nothing looked amiss. Then he saw something, over by where the port side lazarette connects to the engine space. He came back up to the cockpit and started emptying out the lazarette. At the bottom he found a 5 liter container of oil, never opened, with a tiny split on it's side. Sometime in the past two or three days it must have split and 4 liters of oil slowly drained out into the lazarette and then down into the bilge! Geez...it's always something! But thank god it wasn't the engine because we've had enough of those kind of problems, that's for sure. Mates of ours on Lisa Kay had some drama a few days ago too. They were almost to Minerva Reef and a heavy duty exhaust elbow had burst and hot water from the engine was flowing into their boat. They thought they'd have to turn around and go back to Tonga, order another one to be shipped in and make the repair (while all of their friends continued on the passage without them). I'm sure they were really bummed out - I know how they felt since we've been in those shoes. But their friends on other boats convinced them to come to Minerva Reef anyway. Once they got there, several guys got together and removed the broken part, re-fiberglassed it to the best of their ability and reinstalled it today. They should all be underway again soon, together. It is wonderful how everyone helps everyone else out here. I am very proud to be part of the cruising community. Way to go guys! You Rock!
Comments
Vessel Name: Buena Vista
Vessel Make/Model: 46' Formosa Peterson
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Crew: Don and Debbie Robertson
About: The idea of going cruising started when Deb read the book , "Sell up and Sail" around the time they purchased their first boat, a Catalina 22 and joined Chico Yacht Club in 1994.
Extra:
Last great adventure was traveling around Australia for 12 months in a VW van in 1992, and getting married in New Zealand on the way back to the States. After two years cruising in Mexico, in 2012 we sailed across the South Pacific stopping at many island nations including French Polynesia, the [...]

Buena Vista's Crew

Who: Don and Debbie Robertson
Port: Ventura, California
I may not have an expensive watch but I've got the time!