Don & Deb's Big Adventure Continues in Oz

We are now living in Melbourne, Australia after selling our beautiful yacht 'Buena Vista' in New Zealand. Even so...the big adventure will continue one way or another!

09 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Nine to New Zealand
08 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
07 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
06 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Six to New Zealand
05 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Five to New Zealand
04 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Four to New Zealand
03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
01 November 2014 | At Sea - Day One to New Zealand
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
24 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, fiji
23 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
18 September 2014 | Namataya Bay, Yasawas, Fiji
16 September 2014 | Malacati Village, Yasawas, Fiji
13 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
08 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
06 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Nanuya Levu Island, Fiji

BV Is Getting Her Groove On

02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
The seas have calmed a bit from the furious bumpiness of yesterday. Just a bit though, Don just said it's still pretty ratty out there. We've got 22+ knots of wind from the ESE and are heading nearly due south. We're as hard on the wind as we can be and still be able to move about the boat. Although sitting at the table and typing right now takes a bit of effort. Several in the fleet complain of seasickness and to tell you the truth, both Don and I were a bit wonky for awhile but that has now passed. Sunday morning Don was net controller on the Southern Cross Net (which he has been doing for four months now). Most of the boats that checked in are on the same passage as we are. Lots of them are friends of ours. It's really exciting and fun to be out here with your mates. In fact, Bob and Ann on 'Charisma' are just 6 miles ahead of us! We can actually talk on the VHF when we want. The winds perked up again gusting to 25 from time to time last night. We're still flying a double-reefed mainsail and double-reefed (or more as needed) genoa. 'Buena Vista' is once again proving what an excellent sailing vessel she is, especially with the hydrovane steering. It's amazing to me, You just set the vane up to follow the wind at a certain angle and then forget about it. Vinnie does it all! We started eating yesterday...Don finished Angelina's excellent curry dish she gave us and I had a bowl of my great chili with a green salad. I made the salad before we left Fiji...it's not quite time to break out sharp cutting utensils as most everything that is layed on the counter goes flying. It was 100% cloud cover when I woke this morning but the sun is now trying to break through. It's still warm. Not as humid as the anchorage we just left but let's just say not alot of clothing is being worn. Don's job today is to fix the fresh water system. We can't work out why it happens but sometimes when we're heeled over like this the system looses suction and the water doesn't make it out the taps. Today is shower day so it's a must that he gets it going again for that. We just heard on the net that our mates on 'Bravo' are leaving Suva (Fiji) today so we will once again be sailing with the Bravos! All is well on board. Day two we did about 130 miles. We've got about 780 to go. Wow what a ride!
Comments
Vessel Name: Buena Vista
Vessel Make/Model: 46' Formosa Peterson
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Crew: Don and Debbie Robertson
About: The idea of going cruising started when Deb read the book , "Sell up and Sail" around the time they purchased their first boat, a Catalina 22 and joined Chico Yacht Club in 1994.
Extra:
Last great adventure was traveling around Australia for 12 months in a VW van in 1992, and getting married in New Zealand on the way back to the States. After two years cruising in Mexico, in 2012 we sailed across the South Pacific stopping at many island nations including French Polynesia, the [...]

Buena Vista's Crew

Who: Don and Debbie Robertson
Port: Ventura, California
I may not have an expensive watch but I've got the time!