Don & Deb's Big Adventure Continues in Oz

We are now living in Melbourne, Australia after selling our beautiful yacht 'Buena Vista' in New Zealand. Even so...the big adventure will continue one way or another!

09 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Nine to New Zealand
08 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
07 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Seven to New Zealand
06 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Six to New Zealand
05 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Five to New Zealand
04 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Four to New Zealand
03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
02 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Two to New Zealand
01 November 2014 | At Sea - Day One to New Zealand
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
31 October 2014 | Momi Bay, Fiji
24 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, fiji
23 September 2014 | Yasawa-irara, Yasawas, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Cololevu, Yasawas, Fiji
18 September 2014 | Namataya Bay, Yasawas, Fiji
16 September 2014 | Malacati Village, Yasawas, Fiji
13 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
08 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Fiji
06 September 2014 | Blue Lagoon, Nanuya Levu Island, Fiji

We Just Passed Charisma!

03 November 2014 | At Sea - Day Three to New Zealand
OK - To be honest, they had rolled up their jib for comfort during the night. Bob was still sleeping which allowed 'Buena Vista' to catch up and sneak by. It was fun to pass another boat for a change...it doesn't happen very often. We were within 1/4 mile or so, close enough to take a few photos of each other - very cool to even see another boat out here in this vast expanse of water. A few minutes later, Bob got up, had lunch, and then we saw him roll out more sail and away they went, sliding over the horizon. Don and I paused, put up our new-to-us staysail, then ran the engine to warm up our water and took showers. It was a glorious day sailing! 15-18 knots easterly and we flew along on a heading of 170 or so at 6.5 knots. We had previously prepared chicken tika masala over rice for dinner. The sun went down and the moon came up and we both commented on what a pretty nice it was, one of the prettiest and most pleasant night sails that we could remember. Ann on 'Charisma' called me on the VHF and we had a nice chat before bed. Don and I took three hour watched and we made it through our thrid night at sea. Tuesday morning...as I look out the back - Don's got the small Boxing Kangaroo flag flying. The kangaroo's little boxing gloves are punching away at a nice even pace, unlike the blur of his gloves the last two nights. It looks like the wind is forecast to go lighter and lighter as we move further south. At some point we will crank up the motor to keep moving at a good pace. This is the time of year that 'tropical depressions' start popping up, which turn in to tropical lows. One is on the gribs for the 8th or 9th south of Minerva Reef. Thank goodness we will be alot further south by then. You don't want to be in the path of one of those babies! We must keep moving and get safely into New Zealand waters as quickly as possible now. This stretch of water can turn treacherous so you don't want to dawdle around out here. Day three we made 143 nautical miles...around 650 to go.
Comments
Vessel Name: Buena Vista
Vessel Make/Model: 46' Formosa Peterson
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Crew: Don and Debbie Robertson
About: The idea of going cruising started when Deb read the book , "Sell up and Sail" around the time they purchased their first boat, a Catalina 22 and joined Chico Yacht Club in 1994.
Extra:
Last great adventure was traveling around Australia for 12 months in a VW van in 1992, and getting married in New Zealand on the way back to the States. After two years cruising in Mexico, in 2012 we sailed across the South Pacific stopping at many island nations including French Polynesia, the [...]

Buena Vista's Crew

Who: Don and Debbie Robertson
Port: Ventura, California
I may not have an expensive watch but I've got the time!