Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Apia Cruising Notes

12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
AH
Apia, (Western) Samoa - 27 June - 10 July 2011

NOTES FOR CRUISERS
(and anyone else who plans to visit or move to (Western) Samoa or who is simply interested in learning more about the country)

NOTE: The following notes and observations stem directly from our personal experience or those of our close friends or from official informational material acquired during our stay in the capital city of Apia on the island of Upolu in Samoa during June and July of 2011. Others may have different experiences, and needless to say, THINGS CHANGE. The following information is meant merely as a starting point to give you some things to think about or to check into further as need be.

Currency: Samoan tala (WST)
Date: Same side of the International Dateline as the U.S. and Europe (but planning to jump over to the other side with Australia and New Zealand in the near future).
Time: 6 hours EARLIER than EASTERN STANDARD Time (7 hours EARLIER than EASTERN DAYLIGHT Time); 3 hours EARLIER than PACIFIC STANDARD Time (4 hours EARLIER than PACIFIC DAYLIGHT Time).
Languages: Samoan and English
Useful Phrases:
GREETING: malo / malo lava
PLEASE: fa'amolemole
THANK YOU: fa'afetai
BYE: fa

Visas: Visitors to Samoa are not required to have a visa but must have a valid passport for stays up to 60 days (and a return or onward ticket if not leaving on a yacht). (NOTE: The information in this section is taken from Jasons Samoa Visitor Map October 2010 - October 2011.)


Clearing In for Yachts: When you approach the entrance to the harbor, call for the Port Authority on VHF 16. They should direct you to the Apia Marina (unless the marina is full). It is our understanding that yachts are required to dock at the marina unless there is no space for them there. There is not much of an anchorage in the harbor. We were assisted in docking by personnel at the marina, who told us which slip to take and who caught dock lines for us. (NOTE: If you have to come in without assistance, be aware that one of the slips on your starboard side (two or three slips out from the shore, as I recall) once you are in the marina basin has a big coral head in the middle of it, so you don't want to take that one.)

Once you are docked, the government authorities will probably come to your boat unless you have been directed to go to them. We were visited by 5 separate government agencies (Health; Quarantine; Customs; Port Authority/Marina Office; and Immigration), all of which are supposed to see you before your clearance is complete. (We did not have to pay any government fees at this time as they are paid upon clearing out). In our case, this entire process took between two and two-and-a-half hours. No inspections were actually done; they just wanted us to answer a few questions and fill out some forms with basically the same information all five times.

NOTE: These government offices are not open on Saturday or Sunday. While we were there, a yacht that had sailed directly to Apia all the way from Panama hailed the Port Captain as they were about to enter the harbor on a SATURDAY MORNING. He told them to dock at the marina and then stay aboard until the authorities came to make their inspections on MONDAY. Nice, huh?

Courtesy Flag: We bought our (Western) Samoan courtesy flag at a hardware store in Pago Pago. I'm not sure where you can get them in Apia.

Security: Apia Marina is mostly enclosed by fencing with a security guard house at the main entrance. While we were there this guard house seemed to be either occupied or attended by one or more security guards most of the time except on Sundays, when there seemed to be no guards at all, leaving the marina totally open to anyone who wanted to wander inside. Otherwise, when the guards are both present and awake, no one is supposed to be allowed in the marina unless they have an official pass. (Jim and I were given passes by the marina office representative the day we arrived.) Our friend Rudi, who came down to the dock to greet us when we first arrived, was soon escorted out of the marina by a security guard because he did not have a pass. We were told that in order for a friend to be able to visit you on your boat there you would have to present a written letter of request for that specific individual to be able to visit you in the marina, present it to the marina office (I think), and then they would have to approve it. (Rudi said never mind; don't even bother.) So my advice is that if you want to have friends visit you on your yacht, ask them to come on Sunday.

Driving in (Western) Samoa: Samoa now drives on the left-hand side of the road. The division of the Transport Control Board at Savalalo (Apia) will validate your driver's license for WS$12. Many of the rental agencies can also endorse your license. Drive on the left-hand side of the road at 40 km/hr in town and 56 km/hr between villages. (NOTE: The information in this section is taken from Jasons Samoa Visitor Map October 2010 - October 2011.)

Dress Code: Casual for the most part. When attending church, women should wear dresses and men, walk shorts and a shirt. Nude and topless bathing are strictly forbidden, and swimsuits should not be worn in town or in the villages. (NOTE: The information in this section is taken from Jasons Samoa Visitor Map October 2010 - October 2011.)

Restaurant Notes: No taxes are added to menu prices and tipping is optional.

Wildfire: Across the street from the marina. Moderately priced. Food okay but not great. Serve beer, wine and liquor. Open for lunch and dinner. Closed Sundays. Afa and Maima provide wonderful live music Tuesday - Saturday evenings from about 7:00 - 10:00 p.m. (unless otherwise engaged, e.g. for a wedding).

Gourmet Seafood Grill: Across the street from the marina. Moderately priced. Okay breakfast. Good cheeseburger. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Closed Sundays. Internet hot spot; sells internet minutes.

Ooh-la-la Ice Cream: Across the street from the marina. Good ice cream. Beer also served. Free Fire Knife Show on Tuesday evenings.

Moana Blue: Floating restaurant right next to the marina on the water. We only ate there our first night in Apia with Rudi. We sat outside at the shaded picnic table, and the weather was quite pleasant. The main restaurant, however, was enclosed with a very small bar at the back. We only ate appetizers, which were nearly all seafood and nearly all fried. I found the food quite acceptable, and some of it was quite good. Rudi said the food at Moana Blue was about as good as it gets in Apia for a "reasonable" price. Don't know their days or hours of operation, but they seem to be open for dinner and maybe lunch, too, since Rudi was able to get drinks there fairly early in the afternoon on the Monday. And they do have table service at the outdoor picnic table.

Y-Not Bar: A block or two up the road toward town from the marina. Good Happy Hour 4-7 p.m. Monday - Friday (not sure about Saturday). HH well drinks for 5 Samoan tala (about $2.50 US) and free French fries. Open from 4:00 p.m. during the week. Closed Sunday. Only food served is Fish & Chips (not very good but half the price of elsewhere). Mixed drinks are sometimes generous and sometimes extremely weak; depends on the bartender. Wait staff is friendly.

Paddles: Italian restaurant adjacent to the Y-Not Bar. Pricey. Snooty. Menu not all that appealing to me. Nice place though and reputed to have good food. Serve lunch and dinner; liquor served. May be open Sundays; not sure.

Aggie Grey's: A nice hotel just across the bridge from the marina as you head toward town. They have a tea shop (very British) and a big open air restaurant (very tropical). We never ate there but did have drinks once out by the pool. Pricey, and the pool area was not very relaxing with all the kids splashing in the pool and running about, plus the tables were way too close together out there on the pool patio. But an interesting place to walk through and maybe make a tiny splurge just once.

Apia Yacht Club: Several miles from the marina, on the water, past downtown. Nothing going on there on the Thursday afternoon we stopped in, but they have some time of small class racing boat races on the weekends, I think. Lasers, perhaps. They do serve food, apparently, but we only had drinks. Outdoors, by the seawall, overlooking the water. We've been told that not much happens there ever, but then we've also been told that the Yacht Club is on the way up while Sails is on the way down. (Whatever that means.)
Anecdote: We have a friend who collects yacht club caps from all over the world (even though he is not a sailor). This made us wonder if they sold caps at the Apia Yacht Club, but the bartender told us that they do not. Nor do they sell T-shirts or golf shirts or anything else like that with their insignia on it. "They could be making money selling that stuff," Rudi noted. "So why don't they?" Being the only customers in the place, we took our drinks from the polite young male bartender and wandered outside to a table. A little while later a very pretty young woman comes up to the table and asks us if we need anything. "And where have they been keeping you?" Rudi asks. "In the closet with the T-shirts and ball caps?" As we were leaving we saw this same lovely young woman and another just as pretty standing inside by the door to the kitchen. They smiled beautiful smiles for us and then ducked back through the doorway. "It's enough to make you wonder, isn't it?" Rudi commented, adding that that about sums it up for business sense in Apia.

Sails: Just past Apia Yacht Club . Great ambience (as per the name) and lovely ocean view, but can be quite windy as it is open air and right on the water. They serve both food and drinks, but we only had drinks so know nothing of the food. It was quiet when we were there on a Thursday afternoon, and we have been told that "nothing ever happens there," but I thought it was a really neat place.

American Fast Food Restaurants: The only one we saw was a McDonald's downtown, about a mile from the marina. It is small, noisy, open-air and has no internet. We never ate there.

Other Fare: I am sure there are many more restaurants in Apia; those mentioned are just the ones we visited. However, it is worth a note that there is a pizza parlor on the far side of downtown on the main coast road that reportedly has decent pizza and cheap internet access.

Yachting Facilities: Apia Marina is a nice marina with floating docks. Water is provided dockside at each slip, and so is electricity IF it matches your voltage/cycle requirements. (Electricity is 240v/AC 50 cycles, which does NOT match up with the 120v/AC 60 cycle wiring on our vessel, so we could not use the electricity.) There are no dock boxes, and you are not supposed to leave anything on the dock. (You are also not supposed to hang clothes out to dry on your vessel.) Trash bins are provided up by the guard house, but they weren't there the first couple of days after we arrived, and so we were getting a bit worried about what to do with our trash.

Restrooms and showers are provided in a separate building inside the fenced marina area. They are, of course, neither air-conditioned nor heated, and there is no hot water in the showers.
Anecdote: Jim and I were walking up to the restrooms one morning, and Jim was carrying his computer in a canvas bag in his right hand. After descending the concrete steps onto the concrete boat ramp, which you had to cross in order to get to the restrooms, and then crossing the wet boat ramp (the tide had recently been up) to the steps at the other side that lead up to the restrooms, Jim, who was walking ahead of me, slipped and fell face forward, breaking his fall as best he could with his hands, one of which was holding the bag with the computer. Only after he got up again did we realize that that section of the boat ramp was covered in moss: smooth, wet, slippery moss. Fortunately, the computer was a Toughbook and was not damaged. Unfortunately, Jim's right shoulder was damaged, and now will probably take several months to recover. Some days later we discovered that at high tide, the water completely covers that portion of the boat ramp that you have to cross to get to the restrooms/showers. So do by careful - walk around up toward the land and then come over to the steps if you can. That is a dangerous spot.

Laundry: You can take your laundry to Nettie's Laundry, which is a good walk - maybe a mile or so - from the marina. You walk up the road from the marina and, just a bit past Nettie's store, you come to what they call "three corners" (it is the first road you come to after Nettie's store), and there you take a left and walk several blocks until you come to what looks like a house with a sign in front that says "Nettie's Laundry," just before the ANZ Bank at Four Corners. You leave your laundry with them and they will do it for you for a little over $7 US for one load. (We were advised to ask for a 30-min. wash, one dry, and no softener, which we did, and it turned out fine.)

Shopping: All we really needed in the way of groceries and beer and ice we could buy at Nettie's store about half a mile or less up the road toward town. They sell some liquor as well. There is a larger supermarket, Chang Won Supermarket, downtown next to the ANZ Bank, but I didn't find it very helpful.

There are two hardware stores that we know of downtown, one of which claims to be an Ace Hardware. They are right across the street from each other, on down the side street where McDonald's is located if I remember correctly. (Anyway, just ask someone. And note that they are not open on Saturday or Sunday.)

Beer, Wine, Liquor and Mixers: All I know is Nettie's. They have beer, liquor, sodas and tonic water. I think they have some wine, too, but I can't really remember. We only bought the beer, tonic water and Cokes there under this category.

Ice: Nettie's store. (Closed on Sundays.)

Banks: ANZ Bank; Westpac Bank; National Bank of Samoa; and Samoa Commercial Bank.

Communications: We used Digicel to buy a simcard and minutes for Jim's cell phone. They have a small but very nice office/shop downtown on the Beach Road, and IT IS AIR-CONDITIONED.

For Internet use, you probably will have to go to a hot spot. The nearest one to the marina is the Gourmet Seafood Grill across the street. You can buy internet cards there and sit in the restaurant and use your computer.

Transportation To/From Apia: There are ferry services to Savaii and to Pago Pago, American Samoa. Polynesian Blue, Air New Zealand, and Air Pacific provide international air services to Samoa. Faleolo International Airport is located 35km from Apia. A taxi fare to Apia will cost about WS$50 (around $25 US). (NOTE: Most of the information in this section is taken from Jasons Samoa Visitor Map October 2010 - October 2011.)

Clearing Out: Jim did the clearing out for us (and therefore he did all the walking) on Friday, as the government offices are closed on the weekend, but as he told it to me it goes something like this:

IF you want to stop in Savaii before leaving Samoa, you need a letter of permission from the government in Apia. In this case, you should stop first in the big government building on the right-hand side of the Beach Road as you get into town. On the fifth floor of this building is an office where you can get this letter. (The one we got allowed us to stay one week in Savaii; I assume this is standard.) There is no cost for the letter.

Then you go to Immigration, which is downtown past the movie theaters, and go upstairs in the building that says Department of Immigration, which will stamp your passport and stipulate that you are leaving Apia by a certain date. (Again, no charge.)

After that you go all the way back PAST the marina a short distance in the OTHER direction, and there you will find Customs, which charged us 33 Samoan tala, or about $15 US, to clear out. And THEN you go to the Port Authority building, which is near Customs, and pay your dockage fee. (They charged us about $282 US for 12 days' dockage for a 43-foot vessel - even though we are only 42 feet, plus about $5 US for two marina passes and about $4 US for use of the "facilities." All in all, a bit under $300 US for less than a two-week stay in the marina.

And then you're done, and it's off to Savaii!

Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010