Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Neiafu Cruising Notes

15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
AH
Neiafu, Vava'u, Tonga - 21 July - 14 October 2011

NOTES FOR CRUISERS
(and anyone else who plans to visit or move to The Kingdom of Tonga or who is simply interested in learning more about this tiny nation)

NOTE: The following notes and observations stem directly from our personal experience or those of our close friends or from official informational material acquired during our stay on the island of Vava'u in the Vava'u Group of islands in Tonga during the three months from 21 July -14 October 2011. Others may have different experiences, and needless to say, THINGS CHANGE. The following information is meant merely as a starting point to give you some things to think about or to check into further as need be, spiced with a few anecdotal observations just for fun.

Currency: Tongan pa'anga (TOP)

Date: Same side of the International Dateline as Australia and New Zealand; one day LATER than in the U.S. and Europe.
Time: 6 hours EARLIER than EASTERN Time; 3 hours EARLIER than PACIFIC Time.

Languages: Tongan and English

Useful Phrases:
GREETING: malo e lelei
PLEASE: fakamolemole
THANK YOU (VERY MUCH): malo ('aupito)
YES / NO: io / ikai
HOW ARE YOU?: fefe hake
GOOD, THANKS: sai pe, malo
BYE: nofo a (if YOU are leaving / alu a (if SOMEONE ELSE is leaving)
NUMBERS:
ONE: Taha
TWO: Ua
THREE: Tolu
FOUR: Fa
FIVE: Nima (also means "hand")
SIX: Ono
SEVEN: Fitu
EIGHT: Valu
NINE: Hiva (also means "sing")
TEN: Hungo Fulu

Tips on Communicating in Tongan: Sound out each syllable ending in a vowel individually. The name Vava'u, for example, is correctly pronounced with three syllables. Remember that vowels are pronounced (as in Spanish) as ah-eh-ee-oh-oo.

The phonetic intricacies get a little complex, but simply stated: replace your B;s with P's, your D's with T's, and your J's with S's. Typically the only difficult phonetic aspect of the Tongan language for beginners is the sound for the alphabet letter ng. A good way to practice the sound is with the Tongan word for work, ngaue (neeOW-WAY).

An interesting custom in Tonga's communal society is to thank people you notice working hard by saying malo e ngaue! as you pass by. It's a nice exchange as the recipient replies with an enthusiastic Io!

NOTE: The word io, which means yes; okay; it is as you say, is used in the negative response as well as in the affirmative. For example, if you were to ask: "You won't be coming with us?" in English, one might respond: "No, I won't be coming." In Tongan, however, the negative response would be given as "Yes (that is correct), I won't be coming."

Clearing In for Yachts: Neiafu Port Authority monitors VHF Ch. 26 (which has a stronger signal than 16 there). You can try to contact them on the radio for specific instructions, but basically the procedure is this when clearing in to Neiafu Harbor:

Put up your Q flag and dock at the customs dock (the big dock in front of the ship containers.). If there is no room there, dock at the fishermen's wharf just to your left of the customs dock.

Customs is open 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon. - Fri. (except for holidays) with an hour off for lunch (12:30 - 1:30 p.m. if I remember correctly.) They supposedly will see your vessel sitting there at the dock with the Q flag raised and come to your boat for their inspections. However, in our case, we did not know about this since we had not been able to raise anyone on the radio, and so we went ashore and went to the customs "office" at a warehouse-type building there by the customs dock. There we showed our boat document, clearance papers from our last port, our passports and crew list. We were not bringing in excessive supplies or anything to sell, and customs charged us no fee. However, we were charged the standard fee of 100 TOP (about $58 U.S.) by the Health official and 23 TOP (about $13 U.S.) by the Quarantine official. Since we had no Tongan money with us we were allowed to walk the block or two into town to use the ATM and then return with our cash payment (they do not accept credit cards).
Once we were done with Health, Quarantine and Customs we walked uptown a few blocks to the Immigration Department where we filled out more forms (with much of the same information) and got our passports stamped with a one-month visa. There is no charge for the first month's visa, and visitors such as ourselves are permitted to renew their visas for up to a total of six months - or get a six-month visa to start with, which saves you a little money if you know in advance that you are going to stay that long. However, after the first month visa permits cost 69 pa'anga (about $36 U.S.) per person per month if you renew one month at a time. You can save a small amount if you renew for several months at a time.
Altogether, what with waiting in line and considering the hour lunch break, it took us most of the day to complete the clearing in process, so I would advise getting started as early in the day as you can.

Courtesy Flags: Tongan courtesy flags are sold at Café Tropicana in downtown Neiafu for 20 pa'anga (maybe $12 U.S.) . No other courtesy flags were available there, but you can ask Lafi to have his daughter make one for you if you like. He quoted us 30 pa'anga for his flags.

Theft: We left our boat unlocked at anchor and on a mooring in the harbor and never experienced any theft, nor did we hear of any such problems from other cruisers (although we did hear of such things as trash bins being stolen from local businesses when left outside overnight). We also left our dinghy unattended at the dock in front of the Aquarium Café and at the public dock in town with our outboard motor, gas tank, and oars and again, never had a problem. Sometimes we left bags or laundry or groceries in the dinghy while we were in town as well. However, we never left the dinghy at a dock overnight, and seldom much after dark.

Medical Care: There is a hospital in Neiafu. We never went there, but our friend Emily (Sunset Grill) reported that when she took her son John to the hospital with a possible broken arm, she was told they would have to wait until the prayer service was over, which would be almost an hour, before any medical personnel would be available to see John. When they finally got to see a nurse, Emily asked for an x-ray of John's arm, but the nurse said they couldn't take any x-rays because they had no x-ray film.
On a more tragic note, a young woman tourist in her twenties died at the hospital after having developed blood poisoning from a mosquito bite.
I would recommend trying to see Dr. Mel, the Australian doctor who practices at the pharmacy, if possible. She was very helpful to us when we had bronchitis/pneumonia.

Mail Curriers: I don't really know about the mail carriers in Tonga, but there is a post office downtown. If you do get packages there, you should pick them up right away or you will be charged a storage fee.
One day while we were at Sunset Grill a Tongan woman walked in with a big box and told Derek (one of the restaurant's owners) that she had brought this box to him from the post office and he owed her $30 for the storage fee. The box was one his mother had sent for Christmas almost a year ago. It was full of stale cookies and melted chocolate and other such goodies. Derek said, "I don't think so." They never knew the box was at the post office.

Driving in Tonga: When in Tonga, you should drive on the left side of the road. Be aware, though, that Tongans mainly drive in the middle.

Dress Code: Tourists wear shorts and T-shirts and flip-flops. Island women mostly wear long skirts or dresses, and men wear either pants or the South Pacific "skirts" like lavalavas.

Beaches: There are many islands, coves, and beaches in the Vava'u group of islands where Neiafu is located. Except for Port Meaurelle (sp?), where we anchored overnight before departing Tonga for Fiji, we never visited any. There is a small beach at Port Meaurelle.

Restaurant Notes:
There is a Chinese restaurant downtown by China Trading Co. grocery. One of our friends raved about how good the food is there, another said he got food poisoning there; we never ate there. Another friend informed us that the cheapest chicken dinner in town can be had at a restaurant connected to a bakery on the hillside near Westpac Bank, then added that he is the only person he knows of who has eaten there and not gotten food poisoning. Another recommendation (sans food poisoning) was for the "inexpensive but good" fish and chips at the Blue Lagoon in town, and yes, they serve beer but close early in the day. Mango, located down on the water by The Aquarium, is the home of the yacht club and reputed to have good but expensive food. Jim had a beer there once, didn't like the price, and we never returned, but Kiwi visitors told us they had lobster there and it was excellent. A new Italian restaurant called Ciao! opened near The Aquarium right before we left Neiafu, but we never went there. All that being said, here are our favorites:

Sunset Grill & Bar: Downtown across from the ANZ Bank. Be sure to say "Hi" from us to Americans Derek, Emily, and Foster, enjoy the kids (John and Josie), and do try the kumala (local sweet potato) chips and barbecued chicken. When fresh mahi mahi is available, the fish and chips are really good. Beer Bingo Monday evenings. No TV. Internet available via by-the-hour vouchers. Outdoor covered bar and restaurant. Fully licensed, but wine is not always available. Closed Sundays.

The Aquarium: On the water past town. This is "home away from home" for many cruisers as it offers a free dinghy dock,free internet (although an electricity usage fee may apply if you plug in), free disposal for certain recyclables and trash disposal for a fee. Americans Mike and Lori are the owners/managers, and they are very helpful. They also cook up a good cheeseburger. Thursday night is theme night, with menus featuring a specific cuisine, such as Cajun, Island, Mexican or Italian. Live music and a free kava bowl enliven the festivities. Rugby, NFL American football, and other sports can be seen on a large screen TV in the restaurant when broadcast. No actual bar; covered outdoor dining area. Fully licensed. Open 7 days.

Coconet: Down by the water across from the public docks in town where you can leave your dinghy. A great place to sip a glass of wine or beer at the end of the day before returning to your boat, especially now that Isi (Tongan) has built nice bars with stools outside under a new patio roof. You'll love Shyla's (American) gorgeous smile and funky humor. And for the right price - okay, it's not cheap, but what a convenience! - she'll wash and dry your clothes. Fish and chips as well as sandwiches are available during the day. And for live entertainment in the late afternoon you can watch the local school kids cavort on the pier just across from the restaurant. Outdoor covered bar; limited indoor seating. Fully licensed. Closed Sundays.

The Balcony: On the next corner beyond the Catholic church, across the street from the entrance to The Aquarium. Trish, from Australia, is a charming hostess at this small inn with a big balcony on the hillside looking out over the harbor. Curries are sometimes available as are "Aussie burgers," which include beetroot that we Americans simply call "beets." A barbecue is the special event on Sundays. Rugby games can be viewed on large screen TV. Indoor bar; covered outdoor deck seating. Fully licensed. Open 7 days.

Ovava: Down the road from The Aquarium and across the bridge, on the same side of the road as The Balcony. This charming restaurant/bar offers wood-fired pizzas and gourmet fare. British host Lawrence is quite the raconteur and makes some mean rum punch. Indoor bar and dining room. Rugby games can be seen on TV in bar. Fully licensed.

Poolside Café: In town, down the steps from the street or up from the water, located in a hotel courtyard by the pool (which was dry the whole time we were there). Hungarian Nora, co-owner with her Aussie husband, is your lovely hostess and will take good care of you. Pizza and pasta comprise the main fare, but other specialties - including Hungarian goulash made according to Nora's grandmother's recipe - are also offered. Rugby games can be seen at the bar during the season. Open-air bar and dining tables. Fully licensed.

Café Tropicana: Downtown on the main street. European staff. Freshly baked bread and patisserie goodies may be purchased. Tongan-grown Kingdom Koffee beans are also sold. Breakfast and lunch place with book exchange and library of books related to Tonga and other South Pacific islands. Internet café and internet use for a fee. Indoor and outdoor seating. No TV. Fully licensed.

Rooster Bistro & Marina Wine Bar: On the beach by the public dinghy dock. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Freshly baked bread and meats and some provisioning items available for purchase. Movies once a week. Rugby shown. We never ate there except Jim had breakfast there once. It was so-so, but they charged 4 pa'anga extra (about $2US) for a small bowl of jam for his toast. Outdoor seating only. Fully licensed.

Tonga Bob's: Downtown above Coconet. Aussie manager-owner Matt is full of personality and enthusiasm. Popular place for watching rugby. Busy on Friday nights. Mainly a bar with a small dance floor. Meat Raffle Tuesdays (?) and Pub Trivia Thursdays. We played Trivia a couple of times and won once. Great fun. Everyone wins in the end as the case of beer won is shared all around, and there are other prizes throughout. Outdoor patio and covered deck. Fully licensed.

American Fast Food Restaurants: NONE!

Library & Bookstores: There is a public library near downtown, but regretfully, I never visited it. There is a small store downtown that sells office supplies and some books, mainly non-fiction, but the selection is quite limited. However, a number of the local businesses - especially restaurants - host free book exchanges. And Café Tropicana has its own library, including books on the history and language of Tonga, that can be used while there.

Yachting Facilities: No serious marinas in Neiafu, but there are moorings near town. The Moorings, Beluga Divers, and The Aquarium all have moorings for rent. You can tie up your dinghy at the Moorings/Aquarium dock or at the public docks downtown. The Aquarium offers recyclable disposal (glass and aluminum) for free and trash disposal for a fee (usually 2 to 5 pa'anga per bag), Right before we left, the government opened up public showers for visitors in town near the public docks. Security is provided, and hot water is sometimes available. Jim used the public shower once and seemed to think it was okay. I never used them.

Laundry: Coconet offers laundry services for a fee. They will do either was only or wash, dry and fold. We used them and were quite satisfied with the results, but it is not cheap at 23 pa'anga (about $15US) per load. There is another laundry up the hill past Sunset Grill, but we never used it. And of course, Lafe says his daughter will wash your clothes for you - for a fee.

Shopping: We did most of our grocery shopping (including beer and rum) at China Fortune Trading downtown. The open air market downtown has fresh produce, most of which is local, as well as arts and crafts for sale. Usual items at the market include tomatoes, peppers, limes, coconuts, taro, kamalas (sweet potatoes), and bananas. I bought excellent apples from New Zealand there on occasion, and there are pineapples when in season. This is the best place to get produce as there isn't much available in the other stores. The JM Store moved to a new location right in the center of town on the main street while we were there. It is the other "large" store besides China Fortune, so you have your choice of Chinese or Indian. (I prefer Chinese in this case because the young lady Mei - sp? - who often waited on us has a smile that lights up the entire world. Also, I found there to be more selection and usually better prices at China Fortune.) Coffee we purchased at Café Tropicana where they sell Kingdom Koffee, both ground and whole bean, for a whole lot of money, but I didn't see coffee beans for sale anywhere else. If you have a hankering for American items (one can take only so many shelves of canned corned beef when one doesn't even like corned beef), there are a couple of stores to visit. The one downtown on the next street over from Sunset Grill is called something like Seven Heavens. The other, which American locals simply called "The American Store," is out from town and requires a vehicle for transportation unless you want to take all day and are a serious walker. Both are very expensive for the most part but do have brands and products that you may desire. There are many other stores in town and within walking distance of town, so have fun poking around and see what you might find. I lost my Caliente ball cap I got in Mexico overboard and happily replaced it with a plain, light blue ball cap for about $2US at China Fortune. You never know what you might find!

Beer, Wine, Liquor and Mixers: We bought beer at China Fortune Trading as well as South Seas Rum, which we found to be the most palatable of reasonably priced gold rums in Tonga. Other liquors and wine were terribly expensive. But there is a Duty Free Store downtown where you can save a fair amount of money once you have your clearance papers to leave Tonga. However, the selection is very limited, so be prepared for disappointment. Better yet, check it out ahead of time so you will know whether you need to get something somewhere else - IF you can find it.

Ice: Coconet, near the public dinghy docks, sells bags of ice for 4 pa'anga per bag (about $3US). Another store near The Aquarium on the road to town sells it for the same price.

Fuel: You must make an appointment with Pacific Fuel to have the fuel truck come down to the dock (Customs dock or fihsermen's dock) to give you fuel. They will not send a truck unless a minimal amount of fuel will be purchased. This amount is somewhere around 50 gallons, but remember, they sell fuel by the liter. If you don't need that much fuel, you can combine with another boat to meet the fuel truck at the same time. It took us about 45 minutes to fuel up. And of course, the fuel truck was an hour late. And remember: you need to go to Customs and get a form from them first in order to get the duty-free price for fuel. Once you have the fuel, you will need to return to Customs for final clearance.

Banks: ANZ (pronounced A-N-Zed) and Westpac both have banks with outdoor ATMs in downtown Neiafu. We prefer Westpac because they don't charge an ATM fee. The day we left we had to use ANZ because the Westpac ATM was down. The ANZ ATM fee was 10 pa'anga, or about $6.50US. (That was 50% of our withdrawal! OUCH!)

Communications: There are a couple of cell phone companies operating in Neiafu. The one we used is Digicel, which operates throughout much of the South Pacific. It cost us about $6US to purchase a SIM card and a few minutes. You can top up your minutes at various places around the island.

We could not get internet on our boat, so we had to take the computer ashore in order to use the internet. The best bet for cruisers seems to be The Aquarium, which offers free internet for those who order food and/or drink. However, just after we arrived, they instituted a "use of electricity" fee of 5 pa'anga for those who plug their computers into The Aquarium's electrical system. NOTE: If you have U.S. electrical cords with your computer power supply you will need an adapter (the type that would accommodate Australian plugs) in order to plug in to the electricity there. The Aquarium does have at least one adapter that they will lend you, but it might be in use, so the best bet is to have your own. This may also come in handy in other South Pacific areas.

Transportation To/From Neiafu: The island of Vava'u has a small airport, but almost all flights arriving there come from the Tongan capital city of Nuku'alofa.
.
Clearing Out: To clear out, we had to go to Immigration, then Customs, then the Port Authority (which charged us about $2US) and then back to Customs to get our final clearance papers so that we could get duty free liquor and fuel. (You have 48 hours to leave once you have cleared out.) You need special form from Customs in order to get your fuel at duty-free prices, but then once you have your fuel you get a receipt from them and take that back to Customs to get your final clearance papers.

Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010