Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Lautoka, Viti Levu, Fiji: October 2011

31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
AH
Lautoka / Vuda Point, Fiji

20-31 OCTOBER 2011

DAY OF ARRIVAL: THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20

As usual, our timing for arrival was off as we sailed a little faster than expected and so arrived around 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. in Lautoka, the second largest city in Fiji, located on the western end of the island of Viti Levu. (The largest city in Fiji is the capital, Suva, located on the east end of the same island.) We anchored in the customs harbor, slept several hours, and then dinghied in to the port offices in order to be there when they opened later that morning.

We had hoped that by getting there before the offices were open we wouldn't have to wait long, but there were two or three others in front of us, also waiting to clear in or out, when we arrived, and we wound up having to wait about an hour and a half before we could see a customs/immigration official. This gave us plenty of time to admire the faded photos of Queen Elizabeth II of England that seemed to grace every wall. (Interesting, since Fiji has had its independence from Britain for quite some time now.)

At last we were called back into one of the private offices to see a customs/immigration official. His name was Mr. Ali, and he was very courteous and helpful. He is also, no doubt, well educated. While we were in his office he answered his phone several times, speaking a different language each time. We noticed that he is fluent not only in English but also in Fijian and some Indian (think India) language as well. When he got off the phone the third time Jim asked him how many languages he speaks. Mr. Ali thought for a moment, then said, "Ten." Wish I could say the same!

Mr. Ali asked us many questions - including the color of our outboard motor - the answers to which he then typed into a form on his computer. This all took 20 or 30 minutes. Then came time to pay - a bio-security clearance fee of $89.70FD and a health fee of $172.50FD (Fijian dollars), a total of about $150US. Of course, these fees had to be paid in Fijian dollars and, of course, we didn't have any since we had just arrived in the country, so we were allowed to go into town to get some Fijian dollars, which we were able to do by using our U.S. bank card in a local ATM.

And so we walked into town, got some Fijian money, and quickly found a restaurant/bar -- the Lautoka Hotel Pub - where one can get a beer. Then back to the port and the customs office where we were told that the health (or was it bio-security?) official, who was supposed to go out to our boat, had been called away. Since we supposedly could not finish the clearing-in process without this inspection and it was already 12:30 p.m., they took pity on us and sent some other lady with us who was nicely dressed, wearing high-heels, and on her way to lunch. When she saw our dinghy and how far out the boat was anchored, she told us just to toss any fresh food items we had on board into "that trash bin over there," and with that she was off. The trash bin, by the way, was a regular ole dumpster with an open lid situated across from the dinghy dock. (And for this "bio-security inspection" we paid how much???) And so by early afternoon we were able to get under way to Vuda (pronounced Voonda) Point where we had made arrangements to haul out.

The trip to Vuda Point only took about an hour. When we were almost there we contacted the marina office via the VHF radio and were told that we should pick up the mooring ball in the middle of the marina basin. This turned out to be a bit more difficult than we had hoped as it was a TINY turning basin and I, who had to pick up the mooring ball, had never before done such a thing (male sailing friends had been aboard to assist Jim with this when we had had to pick up a mooring in Tonga.) Needless to say I botched it. Even though I picked up the mooring line on the first try - YEA!!! - my jubilee was short-lived as the boat began to run over the boat hook and ultimately I had to drop it. Fortunately, it was a very long wooden pole and it floated. Also fortunately, one of the marina employees arrived right then in a small motorboat, retrieved the pole and handed me the mooring line. Whew!

We soon were led to a slip where we remained until haul out the next day. No sooner had we gotten settled into our slip than we saw Alex and Angelique, the Ukrainian/Russian couple we had met in Pago Pago, who were also staying at the marina. We checked out the spot where Cactus Wren would be situated up under the trees after haul out, then went to the Sunset Bar, a large open-air bar out on the point by the entrance to the marina, for a drink. Afterwards we went back over to our haul-out area, ducked through an opening in the trees and found ourselves transported into another world, that of the First Landing Resort (named for the spot where the Fijians first landed on the island). Lovely! Very tropical, very relaxed, very friendly. Here in the Nalamu Bar we ate a chicken curry dinner, sipped some wine, and finally relaxed after a VERY long day.

FRIENDS FROM OZ

We were hauled out the following day, October 21, and spent a week out of the water overseeing the painting of the bottom and other needed maintenance. Jim spent a lot of time working on the boat while I did laundry and visited with our new friend, Dianne. We met Dianne in the Nalamu Bar at First Landing our second night at Vuda Point. She was having dinner there as were we, and we wound up sitting next to each other at the bar. Dianne is very sociable, and by the time the evening was over we felt like we were old friends. Since trying to cook and wash dishes and so forth were a real pain while hauled out, we ate dinner at the Nalamu Bar every night. The food was quite good, with Ika Vakalolo (cooked fish in coconut sauce) being our favorite dish.

Dianne, who was staying at the resort for several weeks, also ate there for dinner, and so we got to visit with her every night. When we mentioned in her company that this was the first place in the South Pacific that we had had any real trouble with mosquitoes, which were eating us alive as we tried to sleep at night on the boat up under the trees, she immediately invited us to stay in the air-conditioned bedroom in her villa since she preferred to sleep in the main room and so was not using the extra room. Needless to say, we were overwhelmed with gratitude and, after not being able to sleep for three nights, took her up on her most generous and gracious offer.

One day, while Jim remained at Vuda Point to help with work on the boat, Dianne rented a taxi for the day with her favorite taxi driver, Ali, and took me to Denarau across the water from Vuda Point. The Port of Denarau was the other place we could have hauled out, but I'm glad we chose Vuda Point because, aside from meeting such great friends there, it is a much nicer, though less upscale, place to be in my estimation. Anyway, the trip to Denarau was fun. Ali played chauffer and tour guide and left us to our own devices when we so desired. We drove through Viseisei, the oldest village in Fiji where the chief of chiefs comes from; Namaka, where I bought some limes at a vegetable market; and Denarau. Dianne had Ali pull into a McDonald's where she bought all of us hot fudge sundaes at the drive-in window. Then it was on to the Port of Denarau, a more modern development with golf course, high-rise hotels, a small marina for big boats and an outdoor shopping area right out of an American waterfront town.

The small marina is gated, but Dianne and I were able to get onto the docks to look at the boats when some other people opened the gate. No one seemed to mind, and of course we did no harm. Afterwards we had lunch outdoors at Lulu, one of the waterside cafés.

Then it was time to meet up with Ali again, and so we headed on back to Vuda Point. On the way Dianne stopped at her hair dresser's to take them some cookies. Apparently this is a custom during Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights that is celebrated quite elaborately in Fiji. Many of the women wear their best saris - absolutely gorgeous! Such luscious colors! - during Diwali and, Ali told me, many people decorate their homes with outdoor lights during this festive time, much as we do at Christmas in America. Alas, I did not have my camera with me for this trip and so have no photos of my lovely afternoon with Dianne seeing some of the countryside and towns of the island I otherwise would not have had a chance to see.

Besides Dianne, who has homes in both Sydney and Melbourne, Australia, we also met Greg, also from Sydney, who was on his boat at Vuda Point Marina, and Alan, who lives in the Sydney area as well and was staying at First Landing. All three of them gave us invitations for when we arrived in Sydney: Dianne said we could stay with her; Greg said he would take us sailing; and Alan wanted to take us to the wine country. I must say, the Aussies are a most hospitable people. (And don't forget our friend Peter from Torquay, Australia, whom we met in Hiva Oa, and Robert, who owns a sheep and cattle station out from Brisbane, whom we met in Raratonga, both of whom invited us to stay with them if we came to the Land of Oz.)

THE CROOKED PIER TO PARADISE

Our last full day in Fiji, Dianne accompanied us as we took Cactus Wren back to Lautoka in order to clear out. Once there, we all walked into town to meet Greg and his buddy at the Northern Club, a private club with swimming pool, tennis courts, and restaurant, where visiting cruisers are welcome. We found Greg at a table outside on the deck with several local expats. They invited us to join them, and we did.

One of the expats was an American named Kevin, a furniture designer and former restaurateur who now owned a lumberyard and sawmill in Lautoka. After a few libations and much jocularity, Kevin decided to go home, make up some sashimi, and bring it back for the table to enjoy. However, the Club took exception since whoever runs the restaurant there (not very good) pays to have that concession and would not be happy with Kevin's bringing in food to compete with them. So it was decided that we would all go to Kevin's instead.
After winding through town and some back roads, we came to Kevin's sawmill operation and then to his house, which is on the water. Kevin, who for three years owned a sushi restaurant in the Phoenix area, prepared sashimi and shrimp with special homemade sauces. After entering his house through the kitchen, we then walked out behind the house and beheld "the crooked pier to Paradise" (as Greg so aptly dubbed it) - a meandering wooden pier out into the water with a wider deck at the end. Here sat a rustic wooden table that Kevin heaped with delicious seafood. When, after we had pretty well put away all the fresh fish and shrimp, someone asked, "Don't you have any oysters?", Kevin went back inside and soon came out with a platter of fresh oysters. Oh, my! What a culinary delight! (And of course there was wine.)

Once it was dark, Kevin's right-hand-man built a HUGE (20 or 30 feet high) bonfire that we watched from the pier. Then it was time to go home. We called Ali, who came in his taxi to take Jim and me to Port Lautoka, where we now had the boat anchored in the harbor, and Dianne back to First Landing. It was truly a night to remember. And you know what? When we got back to the boat we could still see that bonfire raging across the harbor.

NEW CALEDONIA, HERE WE COME!

The next morning we cleared out of Fiji at Port Lautoka. This time we got a different officer, and he asked us ALL the exact same questions that we had answered when we had checked in just over a week previously. Again, he entered all the info into his computer. When we asked why he had to record all the same info on the computer that had already been entered on the computer by the same office such a short time ago, he told us that -- even though his office was just a few feet across the hall from our first customs officer's office -- the computers were not networked.

Again, the process took an hour or two, but eventually all the paperwork was done and someone - not sure what department - went with us to the boat to check and be sure we had no Fijians aboard (???). Apparently, the government doesn't want Fijians traveling from one island to another - - at least not surreptitiously. (There has been a lot of unrest in Fiji what with different factions of the population - Fijians, Hindus and Moslems - not playing well with each other.)

Since we were not smuggling any Fijians - or anyone else, for that matter, we simply had to return the officer to the shore and then dinghy back out to the boat again, haul up the dinghy and dinghy motor, haul up the anchor and LEAVE. This sounds simple enough, right? Maybe, except for the fact that once we were officially cleared out we had only 1 HOUR in which to leave!!! Who makes these rules, anyway? Obviously someone who has never operated a cruising sailboat!

It is October 31, and we're off! Happy Halloween!

Comments
Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010