Flight of the Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
03 December 2011 | Sydney, Australia
21 November 2011 | Sydney, Australia
11 November 2011 | Noumea, New Caledonia
31 October 2011 | Lautoka, Fiji
21 October 2011 | Vuda Marina, Vuda Point, Fiji Island, Fiji
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
15 October 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
22 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Tonga
01 September 2011 | Neiafu Harbor, Vava'u, Tonga
01 August 2011 | Neiafu Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
22 July 2011 | Asau Harbor
12 July 2011 | Apia Marina
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
28 June 2011 | Pago Pago Harbor
02 January 2011 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
04 December 2010 | Malaloa Marina, Pago Pago Harbor
08 November 2010 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa

Torquay, Australia: December 2011

07 December 2011 | Torquay, Australia
AH
Torquay, Australia

3-7 DECEMBER 2011
GEELONG AND NACHOS

On Saturday evening, 3 December, Peter met us at the airport in Melbourne and drove us to his home in Torquay (tor-KEY), a pleasant little beach town on the Surf Coast in southeastern Victoria bordering the Bass Strait on the southern coast of Australia. Unassuming though it may be, Peter informed us, Torquay is the birthplace of two of the most famous surfwear companies in the world. (Peter himself is a surfer and has any number of boards to prove it.)

On the way to Torquay we stopped in Geelong (tzsheh-LONG) where Peter hoped to take us to the yacht club. (Peter is a member of the Sandringham Yacht Club and so has reciprocal privileges at many other yacht clubs.) Unfortunately, they were hosting a private event that evening and so were closed to visitors. But at least we learned how to pronounce the name of the town, which I had heretofore called GEE-long.

And so we headed on to Torquay where we stopped to buy a few bottles of wine (I especially liked the Yalumba Shiraz) on the way home. And what a charming home it is! Peter's house is an early 20th C wooden beach cottage, small and spare but clean and attractive with a most welcoming guest room, situated in a pleasant residential neighborhood and boasting a large, grassy backyard with, of course, the mandatory barbecue grill.

On this night, however, we skipped the barbecue and gathered in the cozy kitchen where Peter whipped up some hot and delicious nachos. After catching up with Peter around the table for an hour or so we trundled off to bed and sweet dreams under a beach-themed bed cover. And, since it was still quite cold, an electric blanket as well.

IN SEARCH OF KOALAS AND KANGAROOS

Of course, being first-timers in Australia, Jim and I were anxious to see some of its famous exotic wildlife, and so on Sunday Peter, being the most gracious host that he is, set out to find it for us. We began by heading down the Great Ocean Road, the east end of which lies right there at Torquay. This route is quite scenic, offering many great views of the ocean and historic little towns along the way.

At Anglesea we stopped at the Anglesea Golf Course in hopes of seeing some kangaroos, but no luck. We had to be happy with a beer in the clubhouse instead. Then on to Lorne and its historic hotel where we stopped in at the Lorne Hotel Pub for a drink and then the seafood market to pick up something for dinner. Next came Wye River and its Wye River Hotel Pub where we once again quenched our thirst before reaching Kennett River Holiday Park in Kennett River.

Here is where Peter expected us to find koalas. Unfortunately, there were not many of the cuddly-looking creatures about on this day. We only spotted a couple sleeping high up in a eucalyptus tree. Sadly, many of the trees were now devoid of all leaves, presumably because the koalas were busy eating themselves out of house and home, not to mention their food supply.

But despite its seeming lack of koalas, the park did not lack for interesting wildlife, especially of the winged variety. We saw plenty of sulphur-crested cockatoos and crimson rosella parrots. The rosellas were not the least bit shy. In fact, one even landed on Jim's shoulder before hopping up to his head!

In Torquay once again, we stopped at Growlers, one of Peter's favorite watering holes, for a drink. Growlers is a funky and convivial beach town restaurant with inviting outdoor seating, but we sat inside on this chilly evening due to the cold.

Back at Peter's the menfolk lit the barbecue grill in the backyard, and we dined on scallops, shrimp, boarfish, and oysters with bread and dukkah (mixed spices) with olive oil, salad, and wine. YUM! (Have I mentioned that the Aussies know how to eat?)

TWO OCEANS, TWELVE APOSTLES, AND KOALAS GALORE

Monday we set out on the Great Ocean Road again, this time traveling all the way from Torquay to Port Campbell, a distance of about 200 km (approximately 120 miles). We drove through Bells Beach, which hosts the Rip Curl Pro, the longest continuously run (50 years in 2011) annual surfing contest in the world, and on to Kennett River Holiday Park again. This time we did see a number of koalas, but they were shy and up high and more difficult to see than I would have liked.

Next we stopped at Apollo Bay for drinks and a walk by the sea, then it was onward all the way to the Cape Otway Lightstation. On the way to the lighthouse we drove through the Cape Otway National Park, and there, to our delight, we finally found our koalas - LOTS of them. Up in the trees, of course, either sleeping, munching on eucalyptus leaves, or moving languidly up the branch to the next batch of leaves.

Peter parked the car and we all got out and stood on the road along with other onlookers to gaze up at these furry creatures. Once outside the car, we could hear loud, startling roars and realized that they were coming from those adorable little "teddy bears." These sounds did not sound like anything that should be coming from the throats of such cuddly-looking creatures, but Peter warned us that they are indeed wild animals and have a sharp claw in their wrists that can rip you open. Wow. Who knew?

While we were pondering this new and somewhat frightening information as we studied these amazing animals above us, one of them stretched out spread-eagle fashion, face down, between two branches and let loose a long, hard pee that barely missed hitting Peter on the head. This veritable waterfall made its own loud noise as it bounced off the pavement and lasted about 30 seconds. WOW! How could such a small critter who eats only leaves and drinks no water accomplish such an astounding feat? He must have been saving that up for a month!

Having decided that the koalas were probably ready for us to leave, we drove on to the lighthouse area and, for $17.50 a piece, took a do-it-yourself tour of the grounds, which includes the Head Lightkeeper's House, the Telegraph Station, and an Aboriginal Cultural Site.

The Head Lightkeeper's House was built in 1857 of green sandstone from a nearby quarry. It is now rentable as a getaway cottage featuring four double bedrooms, open fireplaces, and stunning views.

The Telegraph Station was built in 1859 to house Australia's first submarine telegraph cable, which linked Tasmania to the mainland. When the cable failed later in the same century, the building became a signal station, signaling passing ships and telegraphing the details to Melbourne.

Cape Otway, like most of the Victorian coastline, has been a habitat for Australia's indigenous people for thousands of years. Even today, such places are culturally and spiritually important to Aboriginal people, prompting the cultural heritage protection of these sites within the Lightstation Precinct.

A café is located in the Assistant Lightkeepers' Residence, which was built in 1858 to house two assistant lightkeepers and their families. Today Cape Otway is still an important reference station for the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, and a modern-day weather station is located in this same building.

At the base of a flagstaff lies a large red anchor from the ship Eric the Red, which struck the Otway Reef in a heavy fog in 1880 while traveling from America laden with exhibits for the Melbourne Exhibition. Four people lost their lives in the wreck.

The first casualty of World War II for the USA occurred when the US steamship City of Rayville was sunk by a German mine off Cape Otway in November of 1940. Following this event, a radar station was built at Cape Otway in 1942, and that radar bunker still exists on the property.

Also on the grounds is a plaque commemorating the mysterious disappearance of 20-year-old pilot Frederick Valentich whose small plane vanished over the Bass Strait while flying from Melbourne to King Island on 21 October 1978. Many who have read the transcript of Fredericks's last words with the Melbourne Flight Service believe this story to be Australia's most credible UFO mystery.

Of course, the Cape Otway Lighthouse is the focal point of the park. It was built in 1848 in response to the large number of ships (at least 18) that had wrecked in the narrow gap between Cape Otway and King Island, a distance of less than 90 km (54 miles). When the convict ship Neva foundered off King Island in 1835, almost 250 lives were lost. And in an 1845 shipping disaster, 399 immigrants died when the Cataraqui was wrecked off King Island.

The lighthouse was built on the cape's southern point at the juncture of the Bass Strait, that finger of the Pacific that separates the Australian mainland from Tasmania, and the Southern Ocean. The light was originally fuelled by whale oil, then kerosene and later electricity. It shone 48 km (29 miles) out to sea. In 1994 the old light was decommissioned and replaced with a nearby solar-powered automatic beacon.

And yes, we did climb to the top of the lighthouse and go outside on the narrow metal platform to view that almost mythical line where the two massive bodies of water meet. It was very windy out there on that platform, and the water below looked chillingly rough and cold. But now we can say that we have seen the Atlantic, the Pacific, AND the Southern oceans. Only two more to go!

We saw a few more koalas on our way out of the park, then continued westward on the Great Ocean Road, which veered northward away from the coast into a more countrylike setting. At the pinnacle of this northward trend lies Lavers Hill where we stopped at a roadhouse seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Actually, except for the fact that there were no saguaros in the background, this dusty, rusty, no- hexagonal-glass-jar-full-of-vodka-and-lemons-here bar could have been in southern Arizona. Just like home.

Next on our sightseeing tour were the Twelve Apostles in Port Campbell National Park. The "icon of the Great Ocean Road," these magnificent limestone stacks are 45 meters (147 feet) tall. They loom just offshore in an elegant gathering of natural grace. Truly awe inspiring.

Not far west of the Twelve Apostles on the Great Ocean Road was the final destination of our day's excursion, Port Campbell. Here we watched the sunset at a beach bar by the sea and then walked up to the Craypot for a seafood dinner.

From Port Campbell we took the inland route back to Torquay - not nearly as scenic as the Great Ocean Road but much faster. Besides, it was dark now anyway.

GOLFING WITH THE ROOS

Peter had set up a tee time for Jim and him to play golf at Anglesea Golf Course on Tuesday, so off we went that morning in great anticipation of not only enjoying a lovely day on the course but also, we hoped, seeing some kangaroos. Suddenly, in the midst of this pleasant glow on a straight stretch of highway with little traffic, a policeman pulled Peter over to the side of the road.

What on earth? I wondered. Peter is a careful driver and was not speeding. Peter, however, did not seem surprised. He and the pleasant young policeman exchanged greetings, and then the policeman had Peter blow into a breathalyzer. "Do you catch many drunks on the road at 11:00 a.m. on a Tuesday?" Jim asked the officer. "You'd be surprised," he said with a smile before sending us on our way.

Peter, who was quite blasé about the entire affair, informed us that if you drive in Australia you can expect to be pulled over at any time and required to take a breathalyzer test. If you blow .05 or higher, you must relinquish your license on the spot and find some other way home. Now we know why Australia had to develop such extensive public transportation systems!

After this unexpected little interlude, we made our way uneventfully to the golf course. We rented one golf cart, and the boys let me drive (brave souls that they are!) while they walked. It was all very lovely, and the guys were having fun, but I was anxious to see some kangaroos. And then, there they were! Dozens of them, lying under the trees on the side of the course and occasionally hopping from one tree to another.

These were greys, which unlike the big reds of the Outback, are only about four feet tall. That, however, does not mean they are harmless. Like the koala, the kangaroo, Peter warned us, also has a sharp claw with which it can easily eviscerate a human. And so I took lots of photos - from a distance. I did, however, get within a few feet of a mama roo with a Joey in her pouch. (Shades of Kanga and Roo in the Hundred Acre Woods. I kept expecting Piglet and Pooh to turn up any minute.)

We were surprised to learn that, despite their undomesticated nature, the roos on the golf course were adorned with leather collars. This lets the golf course personnel know which roos belong there as they have to be "culled" now and then. (I don't even want to think about exactly what that means.)

Anyway, while getting close enough to the trees to take photos of the roos, I found a leather collar on the ground, complete with a name in large black letters and a bit of kangaroo hair. So! At least one of these fascinating creatures had escaped from this unwanted necklace. Good on him, I say! (Unless, of course, it resulted in his being "culled.") We know next to nothing of his history and even less of his fate, but we shall always remember the undying spirit of "Vlad," the roo who would be free.

After Jim and Peter finished their nine holes of golf, we returned to Torquay where we sat outside with cold drinks at Growlers. Now ready for lunch, our gracious host bought us chunky beef pies from a local patisserie, then took us down to a little park where we ate at a picnic table overlooking the Bass Strait.

The pies tasted good, but a short time later, right after we got back to Peter's, Jim became quite ill. At first he suspected food poisoning, even though Peter and I were fine, but we eventually figured out it was a stomach virus. Poor Jim! What an unhappy ending to an otherwise most enjoyable day.

As for our overall Torquay visit, what can we say? FANTASTIC! Thank you, Peter!



Vessel Name: Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana Vancouver 42 / Beneteau Idylle 15.5
Hailing Port: Tucson AZ / Newport RI
Crew: Jim & Ann Henry
About: Ann and Jim are now cruising on their fifth live-aboard sailboat. They have sailed the Caribbean, the Atlantic, and the Pacific in the past and are now looking forward to new adventures wherever their latest yacht, RADIO FLYER, and the wind may take them.
Extra:
Jim, a former TV and film producer, is a photographer and book designer. Ann, a former newspaper reporter and editor, is an author and chief editor at Ann Henry Literary Services. Her published works include THE NOVEL PITCH: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW TO WRITE A SUCCESSFUL QUERY FOR YOUR FICTION [...]
Cactus Wren / Radio Flyer's Photos - Main
Come with us to enjoy the Nights of Lights in the historic First City, a cruisers marina holiday party, and a little down-home entertainment with some of the Henry family.
104 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
November is brimming with family time as a brother and nephew accompany us on a local distillery tour and Thanksgiving is spent in North Carolina with our daughter and her lovely in-laws.
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 December 2014
FALL: A time for helping friends, having fun, and enjoying the Halloween festivities.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 November 2014
We enjoy a fabulous week with our lovely daughter Julia (the bride) and John (the groom) and lots of friends and relatives on both sides of the aisle. Join us for a fun outdoor wedding and all the festivities in historic Wake Forest, North Carolina.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Back in the First City on the First Coast once again: reuniting with relatives, enjoying holiday parties, and visiting Florida beaches. Oh, yes. And we hauled out, too.
113 Photos | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 11 October 2014
Capt. Jim sails Cactus Wren across the Pacific from Honolulu to San Diego with brother Charlie from Maryland and friends Gene and Michael from Tucson.
34 Photos
Created 9 October 2014
It's great to be back at Rivers Edge Marina again where we are greeted by fellow sailors and friends, brother Charlie, our dockside egret, and feline scamp Cruiser.
45 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Enjoy a pleasant, quick sail with us back to St. Augustine, Florida, one of our favorite places that we now think of as home.
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2014
On the north shore of the Dominican Republic once more, we dock at water theme park, casino, and entertainment center Ocean World; reunite with another old friend from Canada; have lunch in Puerto Plata; say goodbye to Robert; spend a day in the beach town of Sosua; and meet an adorable six-year-old girl, a charming man from Mumbai, two lovely Dominican bar tenders, and a glamorous showgirl. All within three days!
104 Photos
Created 29 May 2014
Come sail with us and our son from Marina ZarPar on the south shore of the Dominican Republic to Ocean World Marina on the north.
24 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
People-watching at the beach, a party at the docks, and a bit of family time highlight our last 10 days in Boca Chica.
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 25 May 2014
Water is our world; without water we would have no world. It should be conserved, preserved, appreciated and enjoyed. Join us in rejoicing in our most wonderful world of water.
19 Photos
Created 22 April 2014
Get familiar with Boca Chica as we tour around town and have fun with our granddaughter on a very special visit to the beach when she comes to visit (see sub-album GRANDDAUGHTER JEISY COMES TO VISIT).
102 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 16 April 2014
Boats, beaches, and bars. There is plenty to see and do in Boca Chica. Check out these photos of the first half-month of our stay in Marina ZarPar, and be sure to view the sub-albums on the marina and our day trip to Santo Domingo, too.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Follow us from Luperon on the north shore of the Dominican Republic around Haiti to the west and then on across the south shore of the Dominican Republic where we stop in at the tiny fishing village of Isla Beata and the bustling city of Barahona before arriving at our destination: the popular tourist resort town of Boca Chica.
95 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
During our 5-day stay in Luperon we also visit Puerto Plata and the mountain village of Tubagua where a friend of ours has an eco resort. Don't miss the photos in the sub-album: MI BAGUA ES TUBAGUA. Enjoy!
108 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
Despite a lack of wind or wind on the nose almost the entire trip, we thoroughly enjoy the sunny weather and calm seas of this 12-day trip to the Dominican Republic.
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2014
Visit new places and old with us in and around the great old city of St. Augustine. And don't forget to check out the sub-album CHRISTMASTIME IN ST. AUGUSTINE to see the city transform itself into a fairyland of lights.
86 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 March 2014
We visit quaint and historical St. Michaels, Maryland; sail through the busy commercial and military area of the Chesapeake Bay; stop for another family visit in Wilmington, North Carolina; and finally make it back "home" to St. Augustine, Florida.
116 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Life is good in the autumn in Havre de Grace, a most charming and historical little town at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. Here we visit the Henry side of the family, attend the Annapolis Sailboat Show, and enjoy lots of good seafood and wine.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 24 March 2014
Journey with us out into the Atlantic from St. Augustine, Florida, up the Intracoastal Waterway through the Carolinas, and on up the Chesapeake Bay to Havre de Grace, Maryland, visiting relatives along the way.
84 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
Old friends, new equipment, and a birthday at the beach. Be sure to check out sub-albums A NEW PROFURL FOR THE GENNY and A DAY AT VELANO BEACH.
120 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 23 March 2014
We revisit Dinner Key Marina and Coconut Grove, Miami, where we lived decades ago, then wander up the Florida coast to Cape Canaveral where we visit friends in Titusville before returning to Rivers Edge Marina and our new-found home of St. Augustine.
92 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 11 February 2014
Come visit with us the island of our fomer home and meet our son Robert, his lovely wife Rosa, and our most precious grandson Sterling as we reconnect with family and friends and form joyous new memories of this most memorable island.
57 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
Sail with us down the Intracoastal Waterway, through the Bahamas, and over the sea to the Turks & Caicos Islands, once our home for 14 years,
54 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Cruise with us through the Bridge of Lions and up the San Sebastian River to our new home in the oldest city in the U.S.A.
120 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 February 2014
A cruiser's Thanksgiving, a festive Christmastime, and a historic cemetery (not to mention all those lovely birds!) highlight our stay in this quaint little town on the St. Marys River, just three skips of the stone from Florida.
120 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 February 2014
Oh, the sound of the sander, the smell of the paint; the heat alone could make you faint!
120 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 January 2014
Follow Jim and Charlie on their trip south aboard Radio Flyer while Ann visits with daughter Julia in Raleigh, North Carolina.
38 Photos
Created 30 November 2013
The decision has been made, our offer has been accepted, and now it is time to get down to work.
24 Photos
Created 29 November 2013
We visit old haunts and new with family and friends while traveling across country in search of our next boat.
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 November 2013
Southeast U.S. marsh and sea birds: egrets, pelicans, ibis, and more.
66 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
Back alley pubs; city murals; botanical gardens; country wine-tastings; Aussie yacht clubs; and fairy penguins.
115 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Kangaroos, koalas, and The Great Ocean Road
107 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
The Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge; a tour of the Highlands; ferries, pubs, museum; and rain, rain, rain!
108 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
Exploring an island while in search of a boat part.
39 Photos
Created 12 September 2012
A haul-out, new Aussie friends, and a trip down the Crooked Pier to Paradise
94 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 12 September 2012
See what readers have to say about Ann's first published novel, SAILING AWAY FROM THE MOON, now available in soft-cover print version as well as e-book version for Kindle.
11 Photos
Created 10 March 2012
Beer Bingo, Pub Trivia, and a trip to paradise on a small island.
55 Photos
Created 6 February 2012
Vava'u Regatta & Festival month in Neiafu -- sails in the harbor, exotic foods from the islands, and children in colorful costumes dancing in the street. What a treat!
76 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2011
Visit our favorite cafes, meet some of our favorite people and puppies, and watch the Tongan kids swim.
57 Photos
Created 3 September 2011
Beautiful, scenic Tonga. What better place to recuperate?
59 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Quiet, scenic harbor; friendly folks; a true get-away resort.
18 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Apia: Home of Villa Vailima (Robert Louis Stevenson Museum) AND Vailima Beer.
69 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 August 2011
Farewell, Pago Pago! Farewell, Friends! Farewell, Flowerpot!
13 Photos
Created 9 August 2011
Nightly barbecues on the dock; working on the boat; war with marina authorities; and MORE RAIN!
56 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 June 2011
May brings a major fishing tournament, lots of barbecues, and (of course) more rain.
74 Photos
Created 5 June 2011
The Flag Day Canoe Race and a Flaming Knfe Competition provide ethnic entertainment in April.
113 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
Fire and water, friends and football, and more rain, rain, rain!
95 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 May 2011
W. Somerset Maugham had it pegged: RAIN!
52 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 11 May 2011
Good prices, good harbor, good friends -- and plenty of rain!
119 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 26 November 2010
The whole community of fewer than 70 people turns out for a day of celebration on tiny Palmerston Island.
50 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 November 2010
Slow and easy and a motorcycle ride to boot. We love you, Rarotonga!
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 17 November 2010
Good freinds, good wine, dining on the water, and those towering peaks!
38 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 November 2010
So much to see, so little time! We barely touched shore here but hope to stop again one day.
9 Photos
Created 4 November 2010
This gorgeous island served as the backdrop for the movie South Pacific.
57 Photos
Created 3 November 2010
Welcome to the Society Islands! Civilization and food.
15 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Here we have an atoll with coconuts and pearls - oh yeah, and Fernand!
23 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Two more of the Marquesa Islands, both very good visits.
39 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 4 October 2010
Beautiful Daniel's Bay and a hike to the waterfall.
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Voyage with us to Nuku Hiva. Our first stop in French Polynesia, this magnificent island is a welcome treat.
48 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
Shots from our winter in Ensenada, Mexico, featuring Baja Naval, La Vendimia and Charly's La Cueva del Garfio bar.
96 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 4 October 2010
The Kahuna, Wendel, uses the ancient Hawaiian rites to name a boat.
16 Photos
Created 14 August 2010