Calou's Blog

Cruising with the crew of CALOU on the Baja Ha-ha and Pacific Puddle Jump

Glossy Seas (Day 17)

11 April 2011
John
John's Blog Updated. Original post with photos: http://travel.reservationkey.com Latitude: 0.28333 Longitude: -128.18436

To say the sea at the equator is calm would be a serious understatement. The last two days we have had nothing but seas as glossy as my laptop screen. Despite the lack of wind, the water keeps moving though, gently rolling swells. It is like looking across a desert of low lying blue sand dunes.

The heat, combined with the humidity, is almost unbearable inside the cabin. So now I've taken to writing these updates from my new office location, up in the cockpit. With the breeze generated by the fact of us motoring through the water, conditions are much more tolerable on deck. We also have the sun shade up all day long which helps immensely as well.

Today Pascale did a load of laundry using her blue bucket and plunger. Bruce had hoped to be hoisted up the backstay in order to take a look at our damaged radar unit, but has opted to wait one more day. The radar unit stopped working early on in our passage, and a few days ago, the bracket which attaches it to the backstay seems to have given out and now the whole assembly is just hanging there loosely. Even if we can't fix it out here, it won't matter too much since we are getting close to our destination, and we have ordered a new one which we will pick up when we get there.

We are planning an equator crossing celebration tonight at 6:10pm. Although we are unable to put the Champaign on ice, we will still enjoy a glass or two. Bruce, Francois, and I are planning to swim across the line. We are lucky to be crossing during daylight hours as we hope to see the equatorial line on the water which is created by the unique angle of the sun at this latitude, but which can only be seen right at the equator. If it is not too cloudy, it should be bright enough to be seen in a photograph. Also interesting to note is that the sun is almost directly overhead at noon and that we have almost exactly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness. The sun rises at 7:30 AM and sets at 7:37 PM. Enough for today, tomorrow we will be updating from the Southern Hemisphere.
Comments
Vessel Name: Calou
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 47
Hailing Port: The Corinthian Yacht Club, Tiburon, CA
Crew: Bruce, Pascale, Antoine
Extra: Sailing on the 20th Annual Baja Ha-ha, departing mid October 2013 from Tiburon, and continuing to cruise Mexico. This will be our 3rd Haha. In 2011 we sailed the Puddle Jump from Mexico to French Polynesia, then up to Hawaii and back to San Francisco.
Calou's Photos - Calou's Baja Haha (Main)
No Photos
Created 11 February 2017
30 Photos
Created 20 December 2013
Photos from our month long stay in Mazatlán in board CALOU.
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2013
photos from our crossing from Cabo San Lucas to Mazatlan with crew members Steve and Lisa.
20 Photos
Created 13 November 2013
Photos from our sailing trip from San Francisco to Monterey, Santa Barbara, Channel Islands, Catalina Island, and San Diego
31 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 11 March 2010
Photos of Isla Isabela, San Blas, Chacala and PV
97 Photos
Created 11 March 2010
We rented a car and took a land trip to visit Colima, the capital city of Colima State
41 Photos
Created 23 June 2009
photos between Puerto Vallarta and Barra de Navidad
64 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 13 May 2009
We rented a car and drove 6 days to see Guadalajara, visiting many small mountain villages along the way. The rugged mountain scenery was delightful.
55 Photos
Created 14 January 2009
Here is the sketchbook of Antoine, age 10
7 Photos
Created 30 November 2008
Includes photos from our tour of a tequila factory, and more stoff to be added later.
15 Photos
Created 29 November 2008
78 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
72 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
109 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
86 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
190 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
20 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
79 Photos
Created 25 November 2008
123 Photos
Created 26 October 2008
We took a side trip by bus and train to the spectacular Canyon de Cobre (Copper Canyon) in the state of Chihahua
32 Photos
Created 10 February 2007
33 Photos
Created 9 February 2007
Photos from our trip starting after Novemebr 18, 2006. Photos prior to this date are contained in ALBUM PART 1.
92 Photos
Created 1 January 2007
Photos of the FIRST part of our trip, from our departure from Tiburon to our arrival in Cabo San Lucas.
27 Photos
Created 6 December 2006