Passage to Mag Bay -- Day 2
05 November 2006
Last night the winds held up throughout the afternoon at around 12 to 15 knots on the beam, ideal sailing conditions. After dark, around 8 PM, the winds increased to 25 knots from astern. The GRIB forecast that we received over Single Sideband Radio, and the forecast from the Baja fleet, predicted 12 knots in the afternoon lightening to under 10 in the evening, so this windy condition was unexpected. We put a double reef in the main and furled the jib. I then went to take my pre-watch nap from 9 to 12:00. When I woke up at midnight the winds had lightened again to the 12 knot range, so I took out both reefs and sailed all nighton a broad reach until Pascale took over at 4:30 a.m.
The temperatures are noticeably warmer, I sailed all night without a jacket. Daytime temperatures are quite warm and pleasant. The water temperature is 78 degrees.
Our ETA for Bahia de Magdalena (Mag Bay) is about 18 hours from now, which would have us arriving at about 3 a.m. on Nov. 6. That all depends on the winds, of course.