Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Happy New Year!

31 December 2013 | Moored-Bimini
At 0400 this morning the tide was low and the wind shifted. The creek & groan woke us up to adjust the dock lines and fenders. The large black hole on the horizon made us prepare for rain.

The rain that came 30 minutes later was only a sprinkle but the NW wind at 20 knots got our attention. We doubled our spring lines and adjusted the rudder to allow the wind and current to keep us off the dock.

After our morning routine which included coffee below we went on an explore. Arriving at the Bahamas Telephone Company (BATELCO) office at 0900 we realized that we were not on "Island Time". The office opens at 0930.

So, we walked around the neighborhood to the greeting of some of the friendliest people we have meet since NC. Every time we passed someone we were greeted by the friendly local community. Soon we were challenging ourselves to see who would be first to say, "good morning!"

We passed a sign advertising fresh baked bread, come in. We walked into a gentleman's home who was quick to proudly show us his variety of breads.

After buying a loaf of coconut bread, which became part of our late breakfast, we headed for BATELCO. Now our old cell phone is an Internet site.

We went for a wonderful walk on the beach as the rough wind driven surf was at our feet. We poked around in the rocks and were able to collect a handful of colorful Sea glass. Remember, it's only the first island we told each other!

Returning aboard we noticed a lot of people around the marina. It seems that several players of the "Miami Heat" Basketball Team accepted a New Years invitation to have lunch and sign autographs for the local children.

As for us, an email from family was great to see and Pigeon Peas & Rice in the pressure cooker topped off a wonderful day.

Happy New Year!
US
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016