Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

The Project Continues

09 May 2016
Greetings,

We are still at Cherry Point and we've been working hard to fix our bowsprit leak. Well, we did take off to enjoy the Air Show with friends Dick & Libby off Calypso's sister ship, Tarwathie.

Instead of driving we broke out our Strida bikes and rode the 3 miles to the flight-line. What a great plan, not only did we get a bit of exercise but it saved us a ton of time by not getting caught up in traffic.

Today, it's back to work. The source of the bowsprit leak was water working its way between the stainless steel bowsprit and 20 year old powder coating that was breaking down. The water travelled down the mounting bolts and between the teak & fiberglass deck layers.

The other culprit was bolt holes from the previous bowsprit that were not correctly sealed.

With the teak deck removed we are now working to reinforce the deck, in the area of the bolt holes, with G-10. It's a high density fiberglass material used for backing plates and even engine mounts.

These small sheets will be epoxied to the chain locker overhead so we can fiberglass over the multiple existing holes. Once the bowsprit is reinstalled we will re-drill new bolt holes.

Based on what we have seen already we plan to laminate several quarter inch, 3"x6" pieces together to help correct the mast compression post issue. But that will be Phase II.

With all this going on we had to make a decision. We can either not work at camp and get everything completed or we could work & not go south. Easy decision, we have decided not to work at the camp this summer!

Speaking of which, it's time to get back to work!

Fair Winds & Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016