Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Experiment Results

11 March 2017 | Sailcraft Services, Oriental NC
No one wants to "Re-invent the Wheel". Especially Curisers and especially when it comes to boat projects. It is one of the main reasons we and others listen to the "Tech Net on Single Side Band (SSB) Radio at 8152 mHz. This radio net gives cruisers the opportunity to share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

The net controller starts twice a week about 0900, after the Cruizheimers Net. Net Control opens by saying that the net focuses on anything on a boat, things that work & things that don't, pink or blue, galley or engine. Jim at www.jimages.com gives a photo tip of the week and others give book reviews. Its fun and informative!

One project that always seems to pop up is, "How do I keep the barnacle growth down on my propeller?".

Since we are among many who wonder, Yes, how!, we decided to tackle these two problems for ourselves and report the results.

First, we have heard several comments both on the Tech Net and conversations with other cruisers, including putting a black trash bag around the prop when not underway. Well, we've tried a lot, not that one, but a lot. Everything from coating the prop with the ink from a Sparpe Marker, the results, its cheep but makes a mess & doesn't work. We have also used the commercially made product, Prop Speed. The results here, it expensive, hard to put on, also makes a mess and.... you guessed it, doesn't work.

Then we heard from cruisers in Boot Key Harbor, Florida Keys. Several recommended using Rust-Oleum® NeverWet®. There was talk in online forums and blogs about how great it worked keeping growth off props in the Keys. The waters warm, the boats don't move, and still it works. Wow, this must be good stuff.

FULL DISCLOSURE, the manufacturers web page says, "two-step product system designed to create a moisture repelling barrier on a variety of surfaces. It is suitable for use on metal..." It never mentions that it would be effective underwater or on a spinning propeller as an antifoulant.


When we hauled CALYPSO on March 1st, only four months after splashing with NeverWet® on the prop we were shocked! Even though the water had been cold there was almost no growth. Its a miracle, or was it?

On closer examination we found the prop discolored. It looked as if there had been a massive galvanic reaction. Our hearts sank as we thought our simple experiment might have cost us a $1000 prop. We removed as much of the rubbery, flaking remains of the coating as we could. Still concerned, we took the prop off and delivered it to Big Rock Props in Morehead City. They cleaned off the coating, balanced the prop, and pronounced it free of electrolytic damage. It cost 1/10th that of a new prop but I'll remember the owners final words, "Keep that stuff off your prop".


It may work well in the Keys but, We'll go back to the old fashioned way, barrier coat and paint.

Fair winds and quiet anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016