Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

What's in a Name

12 March 2017 | Sailcraft Services, Oriental NC
It was a beautiful early Spring morning while we were still in a slip at MCAS Cherry Point. We heard the fishing lure land inches from Calypso's stern, with a muted plop.

The next sound we heard was soft talking, you know the way fishermen do when they don't want to scare off their prospective catch.Two fisherman sat in a small John Boat about 20' from the dock talking about something.

Jeff stepped out of the enclosure on his way off the boat and waved to them. The two waved back, then it happened.....

"So", one of them said, "I've heard of Clearwater but never Clea-Water". They were of course referring to Calypso's hailing port.

"No, its Clearwater", Jeff replied. This was only followed by a chuckle and a "Your miss'n an R". Now we all know the joke about what is a pirates favorite letter? Rrrrrr, but this didn't sound like a joke.

Jeff walked to the end of the neighboring dock to get a good look at Calypso's stern. Then, just as the fisherman said, Clea-water!

$#!%, how could this be? We quickly pull up the email from the ABC Sign Shop were, only weeks ago, we proofed and approved the spelling & design of our new name & hailing port. The answer was clear, we approved it that way.

What could we do but laugh. Even the graphics designer at the sign shop laughed when we told the story and he worked to make a replacement.

The week before we hauled out of the water we had our corrected hailing port. Now, with Calypso out of the water the removal and installation easy. This time we checked it, twice!

Fair winds & Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016