Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Kilkenny

24 March 2017
Thursday morning, Corey made us a full Irish breakfast, what a treat! Then we were off, continuing to explore this wonderful medieval city.

It started out clear and a bit cool. As we walked to the old cathedral the clouds moved in, the wind picked up, and it started to rain. Very similar to NC winter weather, give it 30 minutes and it will change...;

After a brief 5 minute drizzle, we reached St. Canices (Can-is) Cathedral. We purchased there combo ticket which gave us access to both the cathedral and the round tower.

The tower built in the mid-9th century, made it the oldest standing structure in the City, the tower was used not only as a lookout but "as a place of refuge for body and treasure". The tower is one of only two towers, of this age in Ireland, that tourists can still climb.

A recorded voice gives information as you climb the towers 121 steep wooden steps. The climb is broken up by seven landings as you make your way up the 100' (30 meter) climb. This is not for the faint of heart, especially when, at the half way point, the voice tells you that the tower has a slight lean, WHAT!

So, as you climb, not only does the the inside diameter get narrow, making the passing of climbers in the opposite direction a challenge, but you soon realize the extent of the lean, which is "2 feet (.7 meters) off plumb".


Not to worry, what's the worst that can happen? All that is forgotten when you reach the top and you have an unrestricted full view of the city and surrounding countryside.


The site were St Canice’s Cathedral was built in the 13th century had been the site of Christian worship since the 6th century. Over the years and after initial construction the structure has seen modifications, additions, the ravages of war, and re-building. The bishops seat inside is made of stone and visitors are encouraged to sit in it and listen to a recorded history, is dated to 1120. A complete history can be found at, http://www.stcanicescathedral.ie/visitors-information-page50542.html


The weather warmed and everyone seemed to appear at the grassy commons near the Castle. So, we did the same and enjoyed a picnic lunch while watching school kids practice Hurling.


Played for over 3000 years its like lacrosse, but the sticks don't have nets.

We visited the Hole in the Wall Pub and enjoyed an Irish coffee. This 20x20 foot Pub has an amazing history and was a hangout in the 1700's by the Duke of Wellington. Cram 7 people into this tiny bar and it's just one big conversation.


While rummaging through an antique store, the shopkeeper recommended we visit the Medieval Mile Museum. It opened only two weeks earlier. It is the 13th century site of St Mary’s cruciform church and graveyard.


After 5 years of archeological renovation the museum displays 800 years of artifacts related to Irish history.


We chose to take a guided tour lead by the museum curator. Better yet, we were the only ones, making it a private tour.

We will miss Kilkenny! Nadia and Corey have been terrific hosts, with a beautiful home, in a fantastic location. They are genuinely warm, friendly, helpful, and caring. Staying with them as been like staying with family. We enjoyed evening chats, and morning talks over wonderful breakfast! Tomorrow we are traveling by train back to Waterford then bus to Wexford.

Fair Winds and Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016