Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Farewell Ireland

28 March 2017 | Llanelli, Wales
David, our host, was up early, Monday morning, in the kitchen getting our breakfast ready. We had a short 12 hour visit with him & his wife Eileen. The day before, Sunday, was Mothers Day in Ireland and their son made a surprise visit in from Dublin.

A very talented family, David is in musical management for several opera troops and their son is a singer with the touring company of Rhythm of the Dance.


Similar to River Dance he has performed in the US, Russia, China, and throughout Europe. Fascinating stories and interesting perspectives from a 22 year old.

They, like many people we've met have an interesting view on America. Sitting with them during afternoon tea was just like being at the HYC Tiki Bar, sooner or later, you can't get away from talking politics...;)

At 0845, on the tick, the Isle of Inishmore was underway!It was a calm but cool day which was nice. This stretch of water can be unforgiving as it is ware the Irish Sea meets the Atlantic.


Seven miles out we passed Tuskare Rock Lighthouse. The light marks a,"treacherous cluster of rocks lying off the south east corner of Ireland that has probably claimed more ships than any other navigational hazard around our coast."

If you check out the map tab of this blog you can see were we sent a position using our SPOT Satellite Position Locator.




As we entered the harbor of Milford Haven, passing Pembroke Castle on Thorn Island to starboard, we obviously entered a security zone.


A high speed RIB was following us and we are sure, reporting to higher authorities the suspicious, bearded, guy taking pictures from the ferry.

After clearing customs, which was more of a security check, we had 6 minutes to catch our train. "The station is a mile & a half away" the security officer told us, "you'll need a cab".

You know the Jimmy Buffett song, Everybody's got a Cousin in Miami? Such was the case with this security officer. Her friend worked in the cafe, and her friend, had a friend who drove a cab. We really didn't care, we were going to get a cab one way or the other, and now when the cab arrived, we had 4 minutes!!

We quickly explained our situation and hung on. Two minute, £4, and an "E-ticket" ride later we boarded our train.

The two hour train ride through the beautiful Welsh countryside brought us to Llanelli (pronounced Cla-Neth-Lee). We were here nearly three years ago to find the home were Wendy's grandmother lived as a girl.

Our host in Llanelli, Jon, picked us up at the train station and took us to his condo a long the coast. Only about a mile from town, we have a wonderful view of the water from our room. A short walk to town showed that there have been a lot of changes since our last visit. Tomorrow we explore, further.

Fair Winds & Quiet Anchorages,
Wendy & Jeff
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016