Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Almost Underway

29 June 2017
On January 12, 2016, we headed north, departing from Rivers Edge Marina in St. Augustine. During the next two months, despite cold temperatures and frequent weather fronts we travelled nearly 700 miles to arrive at Cherry Point.

Since returning, over a year ago, Calypso has received the TLC a 45 year old sailboat deserves. Last summer, one of the hottest on record, we removed the bowsprit and much of the teak decking on the foredeck to repair the source of an annoying and potentially damaging leak.

Early last fall, we hauled to correct a misalignment of the rudder which was the result of the new pintails & gudgeons. This misalignment caused the rudder to bind and it was something that  was never going to fix itself by wearing in. While out of the water we had Calypso's hull painted. While Jeff worked on the rudder and installed new seacocks, Wendy spent days hand sanding, to prep the hull. With the yards labor rate of $80/hour, her hard work saved us $K's

While on the hard at Sailcraft we were treated to a visit from Hurricane Matthew. Even being tucked behind a large work shed and with six boat stands on each side we shook hard. Thankfully, there was no damage to us or other boats in the yard.

In the late fall, we decided not to head south as we waited for the arrival of our first grandchild. With time on our hands and being the party animals we are, we removed two of Calypso's three water tanks. We then used a high density fiberglass material called G-10, to "beef up" the base of the masts compression post. Thankfully the tanks were in great shape so once the bilges were scrubbed, sanded, primed, & painted, the tanks were re-installed.

In the Spring of 2017, we found ourselves on the U.K. adventure of a lifetime. Well documented in this blog, the best part of our 10 weeks was living "outside our comfort zone"!

Since returning to Cherry Point two weeks ago we have worked hard and long to get underway. We've rebuilt the water system, serviced the engine, installed the monitor self-steering, and scrubbed & pressure washed topsides. We even squeezed in a couple of grandbaby fixes!

This summers adventure is the Chesapeake. For the next two months, we have only one planned destination. Easton, MD to visit Karl & Donna.

We had planned to leave today, but instead decided to spend time finishing a few small projects, stow tools, and even took some time to enjoy hobbies....."is that allowed"? So, as we take a minute to enjoy being aboard, here's to our next adventure!

Fair Winds and Quiet Anchorages, Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016