Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Dodger

09 December 2017 | Cherry Point NC
After transiting through Norfolk we stopped in Great Bridge at the Atlantic Yacht Basin. The past four full days of motoring had taken its toll and we needed a pit stop to refuel.

Originally, we hoped to be one of the first boats to go through the Dismal Swamp Canal. It was closed after damage caused by Hurricane Matthew, over a year ago. The Canal is always a favorite stretch and we hope to travel it again, on the way north.

Departing AYB, in the early morning fog we travelled nearly 50 miles and anchored , in settled conditions, just north of the Albemarle Sound. The next morning we were underway early to cross the sound and anchor at the bottom of the Alligator River, another long day. From here were were just two days from MCAS Cherry Point.

Our planed day or two visit with members of the Hancock Yacht Club seemed to take on a life of its own after we discovered cracks in our dodger windows.


This would be the second time, in a year, that the rigid “High Tech” material used for our new dodgers’ windows, had failed.


After a call to the builder, Brake Marine Canvas we had a new plan. This stop for warranty work meant we needed to remove the dodger, rent a car, and drive it to Morehead City. When we were told the window replacement might take a week, we felt our off shore weather window close.

We took advantage of the time pierside, we washed down top sides, loaded fuel, and changed oil & fuel filters. We were even able to get our mail. We also were able to spend time with friends and even help decorate the Hancock Yacht Club for the holidays.


Now, after several cold rainy days the job is finished, the dodger is installed, and we are ready to depart and head south in the ICW. Through it all we are thankful to have been able to avoid the snow and sleet the rest of the Southeast has experienced.


Fair Winds and Quiet Anchorages,
Jeff & Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016