Log of Calypso

08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga
27 March 2019 | Palm Coast, Fl

Where It All Began

03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
Jeff & Wendy Gower
Thursday @ 1615, we anchored in the quiet of Elliott Cut (ICW Mile 471). After a long run from the South Edisto River were traveling had been slow with wind and tides against us most of the day. Aahhh, but that’s one of the things that makes traveling the ICW unique.

We planned to stay two nights at Charleston City Marina’s Mega Dock. That would give us time for boat projects, a visit by Wendy’s niece, Stephanie & her family, and to see the town.

Friday morning we took a “Slow Bell” to get going. Two reasons, first the bridge between The Cut & Charleston is restricted from opening from 0600-0930. Second, our reserved spot on the dock didn’t open up until 1300.

We lived in the Pre-Hugo Charleston the first five years we were married. Jeff was stationed at a unit assigned to the now decommissioned Naval Base. Wendy attended & graduated from The College of Charleston.

Docking against the ferocious Charleston tide, Friday, we moored Calypso with 8 dock lines and 6 fenders. Then armed with a Fit Bit to track our steps down The Mega Dock, off to the office we went to register and logged 2000-steps, one way!

For us, anchoring has always provided its own freedom, but sometimes you just gotta pull into a marina. After, loading fuel & ice, doing a load of laundry, showers, and a trip to the Coast Guard Base Exchange, for some essential libations, we were ready to hit the town.

Disappointed that one of our favorite Charleston Restaurants, A. W. Shucks, was gone we set out to find a replacement. Jeff offered to take us to the College of Charleston Cafeteria but......

We asked one of the college age dock hands what was new that he liked. He broke his response into two lists. One was, “When I Pay the Bill?” and the other, “When Grandma & Grandpa Pay the Bill?” We chose his first choice from his first list, The Swig & Swine.


Not disappointed in the least this place is located in an older downtown building. Sitting on the balcony overlooking Market Street we did some great people watching. When dinner arrived we stuffed ourselves on house made sausages, Brisket Burnt Tips, like meat candy, we had sides of corn pudding, macaroni and cheese, baked potato salad & picked vegetables which went down nicely with one of their many Craft Beers, on tap.

Waddling, more than walking, off our dinner we strolled back to Calypso. Along the quiet streets that cut through centuries old neighborhoods we reminisced about our time here and the changes we’ve seen. Today, we celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary in this town, were it all began!

Fair Winds & Quiet Anchorages,
Wendy & Jeff
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016