Log of Calypso

21 April 2024
08 February 2023
08 February 2023
04 February 2023
06 August 2022
01 August 2022 | Stonehaven, Scotland
28 July 2022
25 July 2022
22 July 2022 | Edinburgh, Scotland
21 July 2022 | Glasgow
19 July 2022 | Edinburgh Scotland
19 July 2022
25 June 2020
03 June 2019
03 May 2019 | Charleston, SC
01 May 2019 | Brunswick, Ga

Dawyck (Doy-K) Gardens

25 July 2022
Jeff & Wendy Gower
Traveling is always an adventure!

As the light mist of Scotland fell Saturday morning and we prepared to leave Edinburgh we were also were glad that we booked a taxi to take us past the steep cobblestone steps in our walking route to the Bus Station.


After an hour, on the X62 bus, we were in the Scottish Boarders Town of Peebles. After finding our AirBnB that would be our home for the next 48 hours, we headed out to explore this picturesque city.


The Tweed River is only about 1’ deep as it runs through Peebles. Along both banks are footpaths which were fairly active on this warm Saturday afternoon.


But just one finger in the water of this mountain fueled river was enough to convince us to leave the wading to the Blue Heron and several young children who were laughing, splashing, and playing.


Centered at one end of High Street, the large Church of Scotland Kirk (Church) dominates with it’s steeple, a replica of the St. Giles Church’s back in Edinburgh. As bells called out for Sunday morning services we discovered that the bus to our next destination was not running. So, another taxi to the rescue.

We were heading for the Royal Botanical Gardens at Dawyck. Located on 2 square Kilometers in the hills near Peebles, these gardens were established in the early 17th Century.



Dawyck has one of Scotland’s finest tree collections including some of Britain’s oldest and tallest trees, including Douglas fir, European Silver fir and Giant Sierra redwoods, dating back to 1680.



Dawyck is home to many Douglas firs grown from seed collected by David Douglas himself. This is a multi-stemmed specimen planted in 1835.


Other heritage trees at the Garden include European larch which overlooks Dynamo Pond ( part of Dawyck’s Hydro (Electric) Scheme. This area was reputedly planted in 1725 in the presence of Carl Linnaeus, the forefather of plant nomenclature and classification.


The Rhododendron collection is a good place to appreciate some of the original rhododendron plantings, some in excess of 100 years old.


We missed many blooming trees and shrubs, but along the miles of trails they made up for it with their deep rich colored foliage.




Monday we head to Aberdeen.

Enjoy,
Jeff and Wendy
Vessel Name: Ex-Calypso
Hailing Port: Morehead City, NC
Social:
Ex-Calypso's Photos - Main
Repair to Calypso's foredeck, mast step, rudder, & Seacock replacement
7 Photos
Created 3 November 2016