Adventures of Calypso

06 August 2013 | Somesville, Mt. Desert
04 August 2013 | Eggemoggin Reach
03 August 2013 | Benjamin River
02 August 2013 | Castine
01 August 2013 | Castine
20 July 2013 | Pulpit Harbor
18 July 2013 | Camden
17 July 2013 | North Haven
16 July 2013 | Winter Harbor, Vinalhaven
14 July 2013 | Pulpit Harbor
13 July 2013 | Rockland, ME
12 July 2013 | Rockland, ME
08 July 2013 | Rockland, ME
07 July 2013 | Harbor Island, Muscongus Bay
06 July 2013 | Pemaquid Harbor
05 July 2013 | Snow Island, Casco Bay
04 July 2013 | Snow Island, Casco Bay
25 July 2012 | Home again
24 July 2012
24 July 2012 | Boothbay

A sad day on Calypso

24 January 2011 | Black Point Settlement
Cloudy to sunny to cloudy, NE 15+
Christine's mother was moved to the ICU last night and the outlook is understandably poor. However, technology and old fashioned local hospitality combined to whisk Christine back to Philadelphia by 5pm.
We got the news by email when we woke. First I called Staniel Cay Yacht Club on the VHF. They confirmed there would be an afternoon flight to Nassau from Staniel Cay. We are a two to three hour sail from Staniel Cay. Again, courtesy of a local unencrypted signal, we have internet to the boat so Christine was able to find a direct flight from Nassau to Phila leaving at 2pm. The scheduled flight from Staniel Cay would not get her there in time.

I went ashore to inquire of the locals what they would do. Immediately one of the young men hanging at Adderley's General Store whipped out his cell phone and called a charter plane in Staniel Cay. Was he (Roland Smith) available? Yes. Could he fly over to Black Point to pick her up? Yes, would half an hour be soon enough?
Meanwhile, Alex was back on the boat booking the flight to Phila on Orbitz as Christine was packing. We whizzed ashore as the little Piper Cherokee Six was landing. Mr. Adderley, for 35 years the chief gendarme of Black Point, trundled us all out half a mile to the airport in his golf cart. Seconds later she was airborne to Nassau, well in time to catch the flight to be with her family tonight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Hailing Port: New Castle, NH
Crew: Jonathan and Christine

Who: Jonathan and Christine
Port: New Castle, NH