Adventure Before Dementia

After 6 years of procrastination, we are finally following our dream to sail from New Zealand to the Pacific Islands for 6 months.

08 November 2015 | At home in Nelson
05 November 2015
05 November 2015
27 October 2015
26 October 2015
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
23 October 2015
21 October 2015
19 October 2015 | Noumea
13 October 2015 | Baie de Gadji, Isle of Pines
10 October 2015 | Baie de Kuendu Anse, New Caledonia
01 October 2015 | Noumea
24 September 2015 | Baie D'Oro
17 September 2015 | Lekiny Bay, Ouvéa
11 September 2015 | Lifou Island New Caledonia

Preparing for home!

19 October 2015 | Noumea
Heather/dull and wet!
Can't quite believe our adventure has almost come to an end. 5 months seemed such a long time when we first started out but, to be honest, it has gone in a flash. We have had the most amazing time and have learnt a lot about each other - it's good to know Mike & I can survive together in a very confined space, 24/7!
For the past week we have been back down in the Isle of Pines. We had a couple of good days of weather and Raewyn was able to get another few hours sunbathing on the beach! I celebrated my birthday in Kuto with a trip on a Pirogue (a traditional wooden fishing boat.) Unfortunately it rained for most of the morning & was quite chilly, but being seasoned travellers we were prepared with our rain jackets - unlike the other 3 French couples who were with us, shivering in their strappy sundresses and t-shirts! Fortunately the sun came out in the afternoon so we were able to have our picnic lunch on a beautiful white sandy beach before heading back for champagne and dinner out. Definitely a memorable birthday!
Unfortunately the weather has since turned to custard and we have had more rain than we have seen in a while. Not great timing when we are trying to get the boat ready for a long passage. We are back in Nouméa and today Raewyn and I have been cooking up a storm, preparing passage meals that require minimal reheating in case it's very rough. It looks as though there is a reasonable weather window for Mike and crew to start their journey back to NZ on Wednesday, although this may involve stopping in Norfolk Island for a couple of days to avoid some southerlies that are forming off New Zealand. All crew members are more than happy for this as it will give them a break from the passage and a chance to see an island they haven't visited before. Rod arrives tomorrow afternoon so it will be straight down to Customs and Immigration on Wednesday morning and then they will be off.
In the meantime, I am swanning off to the airport tomorrow to fly back to Nelson via Wellington, where I am stopping off to see Rebecca and Hannah. Part of me is hugely excited about flying home but part of me is very sad to be leaving the boat and not completing the journey home to New Zealand.

What am I looking forward to the most about returning home?

1. Being able to get out of my side of the bed to go to the loo in the night rather than slithering to the end of the bed and squeezing myself carefully through a narrow gap between the edge of the wardrobe and Mike's feet while trying desperately not to disturb Mike!
2. Taking a shower that doesn't involve having to turn the water off every few seconds to preserve our precious water supply.
3. Flushing toilets (that don't block!)
4. Opening the fridge and being able to see exactly what is in there rather than squatting down and peering into the small, dark and usually messy fridge with a torch, trying to find what I am looking for as quickly as possible to that I don't let too much warm air in!
5. Opening the pantry and seeing everything at eye level rather than ferreting around underneath the seats in the saloon, head down, bottom up, searching for a can or packet of something I know is in there somewhere!

What will I miss the most?

1. The special time I have had with Mike, just the two of us.
2. The freedom to go where we want, when we want (as long as the weather is playing ball!)
3. Having a different view from our 'living room window' every day as the boat swings around on the anchor or we are in a different bay.
4. Being rocked to sleep at night to the sound of the waves through the open portholes.
5. The incredible sunsets which were all so different every time.

I feel very privileged to have been able to fulfil our dream of sailing to the Pacific Islands. I won't say I have enjoyed EVERY minute because the passages were a real challenge for me but it has been an incredible experience and I am sad it has come to an end. We have met some wonderful people along the way, both Islanders and fellow cruisers and have so many special memories.

For those of you who are interested in hearing about Calypso's passage home, Raewyn has kindly agreed to email me via satellite each day which I will add to the blog. So watch this space.....
Comments
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Make/Model: Fontaine Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Nelson
Crew: Mike & Heather Colling
Calypso's Photos - Main
10 Photos
Created 10 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 2 October 2015
12 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
13 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
20 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
17 Photos
Created 1 September 2015
17 Photos
Created 18 August 2015
27 Photos
Created 18 August 2015
12 Photos
Created 1 August 2015
17 Photos
Created 22 July 2015
29 Photos
Created 8 July 2015
27 Photos
Created 27 June 2015
9 Photos
Created 27 June 2015
Getting ready to set sail on our Adventure before Dementia. Provisioning and sailing up to Opua and the Bay of Islands
10 Photos
Created 21 May 2015