Thalia

14 October 2016 | Staunton, VA
21 August 2016 | Bert Jabin Yacht Yard in Annapolis, MD
08 July 2016 | Bert Jabin Yacht Yard in Annapolis, MD
14 June 2016 | Charlottlesville, VA
03 April 2016 | Saint Petersburg, Florida
15 February 2016 | Key Biscayne, Florida
27 December 2015 | Charleston Maritime Center, Charleston, SC
03 December 2015 | Oriental, NC
23 October 2015 | Portsmouth, VA
24 September 2015 | Cape Henlopen
02 September 2015 | Rockport, MA
27 July 2015 | Salem River, New Jersey
14 June 2015 | Oxford, Maryland
21 May 2015 | Charleston Maritime Center, Charleston, SC
09 May 2015 | Green Turtle Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
04 May 2015 | Hope Town, Abacos, Bahamas
13 April 2015 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 March 2015 | The Bight Anchorage, Cat Island, Bahamas
28 February 2015 | Staniel Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
17 February 2015 | Highborne Cay, Exumas, Bahamas

Moving Aboard

10 February 2014 | Oriental, NC
Caroline/36º, overcast, winds 10 kts N/NE
Downsizing from a four bedroom house to a 40’ sailboat is not an easy task, to say the least. We finally left Portland January 28 to head east and move aboard Thalia. The last several months prior to that were spent deciding what to do with all the stuff we’d accumulated over many years. Our choices: take to the boat, put in storage, sell, give away, haul across the country to our kids, or trash. We tried to keep as little as possible, as we knew storage on the boat would be minimal and we didn’t want to dump too many boxes on our east coast kids, who are being gracious enough to store some things for us.

We got items destined for Thalia down to 13 small and medium size boxes, plus our diving gear and some miscellaneous tools in other containers. It didn’t seem like all that much stuff at the time. For a chef, bringing aboard only a dozen cookbooks is pretty drastic. And it was painful to not include my Cuisinart, blender, larger sauté pans and saucepans, slow cooker, and all my pretty serving platters and bowls, to name just a few. I know Larry faced similar hardships in deciding which tools and electronics are needed and can reasonably fit onboard.

What we did keep, we loaded onto a 12’ U-Haul trailer that we first drove down to San Francisco - where we spent a few days with my mom and had a really wonderful Bon Voyage party with Marin friends - before hitting the road in earnest. We could only drive 60 mph or less the entire trip, due to the trailer, so it took quite a while to cover the 3,700+ miles between Portland and Oriental, NC. A detour to Sedona to visit friends Mark and Ilana, as well as my sister Rebecca, was another highlight and gave us a chance to cheer Seattle on in the Super Bowl.

After that, though, it was pretty tough going because the weather continued to deteriorate. Until we were well into North Carolina, we dealt with single-digit temperatures, snow and often high winds as we crossed Arizona, New Mexico, the Texas panhandle, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee and finally North Carolina.

Anyone following us on Facebook knows we managed to have some pretty wonderful and often surprising roadside food, including tamales and chicken fried steak with green chile sauce in New Mexico, authentic Ecuadorian food in Ft. Smith, Arkansas, and an amazing Memphis BBQ dinner.

In any case, we arrived here late afternoon on schedule on Saturday, February 8. We got our new mattress on the boat, located sheets and blankets, and promptly crashed. Both Sunday and Monday were then spent cleaning and hauling boxes onboard. This we quickly discovered we had to do in phases, because bringing too many boxes into the cabin quickly resulted in a serious bottleneck and left us with no space to put anything. So we unpacked and stowed about a third of our stuff, cleaning as we went, then repeated. Twice. I admit it was a little disheartening to stow away a whole bunch of stuff, pause to admire a clean and tidy galley, then have it look like a bomb hit it an hour later.

The photo here shows the galley with round two of stuff piled high. It was about this point that we realized that 13 small and medium boxes may not have seemed like a lot back in Portland, but sure did onboard Thalia! We ended up getting rid of a few things, but most of it miraculously fit into one spot or another.

That’s the genius of a sailboat: although the space is small, it is incredibly cleverly designed. In addition to the myriad drawers, cabinets and shelves, there are all kinds of surprising cubby holes of various sizes and shapes under and behind seat cushions, under floor boards, and tucked into places I’m sure we haven’t even thought about yet. Our biggest concern now is whether we’ll ever remember where we put everything. We intend to follow our friend Judy’s advice and make an inventory as we continue to settle in onboard.

So, two days later, we’re more or less moved in and Thalia has had a good interior scrubbing. Tomorrow morning we take a short cruise over to a nearby boatyard, where we’re scheduled to have some work done that our insurance company requires. And we’ll have them check out a few other minor issues that have arisen. While Thalia is hauled out and being worked on, we’ll trek north to DC and Baltimore to get rid of the rest of what’s in our car and trailer. We hope to be back on board in another week or so, and will hightail it south toward South Carolina and warmer weather ASAP!

First dinner onboard was what my family calls Julia Child chicken (panko crusted and pan fried in olive oil and butter) along with some greens from a local farmers market and a celebratory bottle of Ayres Oregon pinot noir that made the bumpy ride east with us.

By the way, we loved your comments on the first blog posting and really hope you will all continue to post comments. We are going to really miss all our friends!
Comments
Vessel Name: Thalia
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Portland, OR
Crew: Larry and Caroline Lewis
About:
We retired from our urban organic gardening business in early 2013. We're both originally from California, where we grew up sailing and playing in the water. We have lived in Portland, Oregon the last few decades. [...]
Extra:
I do not offer the old smooth prizes, but offer rough new prizes, These are the days that must happen to you: You shall not heap up what is called riches; You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve. However sweet the laid-up stores, however convenient the dwellings, you [...]
Thalia's Photos - Main
For our final blog post as owners of S/V Thalia...
16 Photos
Created 14 October 2016
13 Photos
Created 21 August 2016
Thalia's last leg of nearly 400 miles from North Carolina to Annapolis.
13 Photos
Created 8 July 2016
Travel back up around Florida to North Carolina, including visiting our new grandson Max in Baltimore.
17 Photos
Created 14 June 2016
From the wilderness of the Everglades to the beautiful city of Saint Petersburg...
20 Photos
Created 2 April 2016
From St. Augustine to Miami, our travels down the Florida coast in 2016.
21 Photos
Created 15 February 2016
From a boatyard in Oriental to the decked halls of Charleston mansions, December was an eventful month.
23 Photos
Created 27 December 2015
Travel around inland North Carolina and Thanksgiving in Baltimore.
8 Photos
Created 3 December 2015
We didn't take many photos - too busy trying to keep warm - but here's what we have from our trek up the Delaware and Sassafras rivers to Georgetown, MD to wait out Hurricane Joaquin.
6 Photos
Created 23 October 2015
18 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
We're spending most of the month of June wandering around this enormous and wonderful area, checking out all those little towns and creeks we've been told about. Here are some of our shots.
26 Photos
Created 14 June 2015
Scenes from Marsh Harbour - including diving shots - Hope Town, and Treasure Cay.
26 Photos
Created 9 May 2015
Travels to two of the more remote - and beautiful - Bahamian islands.
No Photos
Created 13 April 2015
Some of the cays we've visited in February and early March, 2015, from Bimini to the central Exumas.
24 Photos
Created 2 March 2015
Traveling from the lower Chesapeake Bay in Norfolk, VA out into the ocean and up to Nantucket.
17 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
Photos of our new mast as well as repairs to Thalia's decks and interior.
9 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
Three generations of a family enjoy a Baltimore tradition.
7 Photos
Created 28 July 2014
Travels from New York City up the Hudson River and through the Erie Canal, Oneida Lake and Oneida River to Lake Ontario.
32 Photos
Created 13 June 2014
A screenshot of our planned and actual routes, and a shot of Thalia with her sister, Sea Escape.
2 Photos
Created 10 May 2014
Impressions from a week spent in this lovely city.
20 Photos
Created 14 April 2014
Our impressions of this lovely city - with a focus on its architecture - as we explore it during our March/April 2014 visit. We added a few shots of the lovely blooming flowers as well as a bit of sailing to round things out.
33 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
Our first days onboard Thalia, including the first meal we cooked.
5 Photos
Created 10 February 2014
The first photos of our new boat, taken where we purchased her in Annapolis and then heading down to her temporary home in Oriental, NC.
7 Photos
Created 17 November 2013