Canapesia Atlantic Crossing 2012

24 December 2012 | Dry land - St. Lucia
17 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
15 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
13 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
12 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
10 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
08 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
07 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
05 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
05 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
03 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
30 November 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
28 November 2012 | Atlantic Ocean, 150NM SW of Gran Canaria
25 November 2012 | Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
25 November 2012 | Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
23 November 2012 | Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
19 November 2012 | Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
13 November 2012 | Portugal to Gran Canaria
22 October 2012 | Vilamoura
15 October 2012 | Vilamoura

The final 500!

13 December 2012 | Atlantic Ocean
Dan Jenkins
It's been an interesting few days since our last update. The good news is that the rain has stopped, the wind returned and we've had a good couple of days sailing traveling at an average speed of 6 knots an hour. We had another close encounter with an ARC yacht over Monday lunch, though unlike the last one which it turns out wasn't on AIS (hence why it came so close at night), we were able to track this one from 10 miles away, identify that we were on the same course and ensure we passed at a reasonable distance (a few hundred yards). we have started to see planes in the sky above too - a sign that we are getting closer to civilisation again!

We have however had an...interesting couple of nights:

In the interests of maintaining our progress on Monday night (especially after the frustration of having little wind over the weekend) we decided to fly the Parasailor through the night. All went to plan until at about midnight when those crew asleep were woken by the biggest lurch that the boat had made yet (imagine your walls becoming your ceiling and floor). Everything down below not secured went scattering across the floor. We had been hit by a squall (impossible to see on a dark night) and whilst Shane was doing a miraculous job of keeping us upright and in one piece (we had concerns at one point that we may lose the mast), it was clear we needed to get the Parasailor down quickly. The challenge is how to get a sail down that's full of wind and pulling you along at a fair speed. We waited until we had a slight lull, Shane and Neil then up on the bow pulling the funnel down over the sail and Dan releasing the sheets from the cockpit. Unfortunately to get the sail down onto the deck having funnelled it we had to cut the halyard to the sail after it had become knotted on the winch. All in one piece thankfully (boat and crew) but no more Parasailor until we manage to get up the mast and re-run the halyard to the sail.

Tuesday night we hit not only squalls but one of the biggest swells we've had to date - 4 metres high with the odd wave even larger and crashing over the stern and into the cockpit. Neil and Shane took us through the night, rather drenched by morning. Those of us down below kept awake by enormous booms and crashes as the waves hit the boat. Two nights when we were reminded that when the wind and sea want to play there's very little that you can do but hang on!

Thankfully Wednesday night was breezy (but in the right direction) & rain free and we made good progress. We should cross the 500 mile to go mark at about 6PM today (London time) and St. Lucia whilst not in sight does feel like it is just around the corner. Nature may have one final twist in store for us though as the wind is forecast to drop again Friday lunch time and, with not quite enough fuel to motor all the way to St. Lucia if required, our arrival time is still TBC. Keep your fingers crossed for wind!

Thanks for all emails over the last few days - they have certainly helped keep us smiling. By the time of our next update land will hopefully be almost in sight.

Canapesia
Comments
Vessel Name: CANAPESIA
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 44
Hailing Port: London
Crew: Dan Jenkins, Gary Mellon, Keith Mellon, Neil Burrage, Shane Cole
About: The crew of Canapesia, taking part in the ARC 2012 from Las Palmas to St. Lucia

Who: Dan Jenkins, Gary Mellon, Keith Mellon, Neil Burrage, Shane Cole
Port: London