Some good reasons you should never buy a boat

Troy & Lisa

Who: Captain Troy Roush & Admiral Lisa McCreery
Port: Van Buren, IN
25 November 2015 | Ft. Meyers
25 November 2015 | Cayo Costa National Park
15 December 2013 | Somewhere in the Florida Keys
12 December 2013 | Marathon
11 December 2013 | 2 miles off Indian Key
08 December 2013 | Stuart FL
07 December 2013 | Florida
06 December 2013 | New Smyrna Beach
23 November 2013 | Virginia
23 August 2013 | From Catskill, NY to Deltaville, VA
19 July 2013 | Started in Sandusky, Ohio & we have no real destination

Sail to Key West

15 December 2013 | Somewhere in the Florida Keys
Troy
As usual down here things never go quite as planned, the plan was to leave at first light Friday morning following new friends Jarod and Alex on Ka'imi (means the seeker) plans changed when a buddy of their's (Johnny) wanted to go but wouldn't be off work and ready to go till around 5. So I did boat projects all day, made a run (walk) to publics... We got underway promptly at 5, since Ka'imi had an extra hand on board now, Alex, jumped over onto Cantankerous, on the way out of the harbor. Had a good sail to Key West, running downwind, wing on wing, Geneoa poled out. Ran through a couple squalls on the way down. Cantankerous, made the anchorage in Key West, around 1am, Ka'imi, pulled in 45 minutes later... Or that's what Alex, said, I'd already gotten my shower and was sound asleep. I love having a fast boat!!!:)

Got up Saturday morning and dinked ashore, Jarod, the skipper of Ka'imi had lived in Key West, for two years, and knew the town and it seemed everybody in it. Jarod is an interesting guy with a whole lot of stories for a guy in his late twenties... Everything from surviving a hurricane at sea off the Marquesas, too the classic sailor story of having to much too drink one night and sailing for certain a communist country that lies to the south on a dare in the middle of the night, without provisioning or obtaining proper carts. The story goes the next morning when they sobered up neither him or Johny was willing to back down, so they sailed on... Making landfall at a military base of said country... They were finally directed to a proper port to clear in, and spent two weeks in country. When they left they ran for the Bahama's, and we're intercepted by the Coast Guard (apparently the coast guard watches these sort of things...who knew) enroute, in international waters. Having nothing to hold them on (the law on Americans entry into said country is interesting to say the least) after four hours and several calls to the state department the Coasties being unsure what to do with them let them get back underway. Those were two of his funnier stories but by know means the only ones. By mid afternoon we were getting hungry and Jarod, though fresh fish sounded good. So we got a spear gun, dinked back to our boats, grabbed snorkeling gear, then dinked over to a couple wrecks off Wisteria island, snorkeled around those wrecks shot some Red snapper, took them back to the boat and cooked them up... Fine eating! And no Lisa, I had nothing to do with the preparation of the fish! After a early dinner we dinked back ashore for the Saturday night Duval crawl. Duval street can be one of the craziest places on the planet and any sane person can only take so much of it, sanity is in short supply on that island! I practiced extreme (for me) moderation. The boat was anchored half a mile out in the harbor and it just wasn't the time or place to be tying one on! Alex, didn't share my views on sobriety, by 10:30 Jarod, was running Alex back to Ka'imi, his night was over. Didn't stay out much later, Johnny stayed on Cantankerous, since Alex, was crashed in his berth on Ka'imi. We left out of Key West, shortly after daylight this morning (Sunday) underway on a beam reach, 10knots of wind motor sailing. We should make Marathon, around 4-5. I'll drop Johnny off at his boat, get Cantankerous, squared away and get ready to head home tomorrow.

Comments
Vessel Name: Cantankerous
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411
Hailing Port: Van Buren, IN
Crew: Captain Troy Roush & Admiral Lisa McCreery
About:
Never had a real job in my life & don't think I'd like one! I'm a farmer in Central Indiana where my family & I farm. We farm corn, soybeans, popcorn, certified organic, & processing tomatoes. I have two grown daughters, Krista (son n law Nick) & Kari. Lisa has been a hairdresser for 26 years. [...]
Extra:
We started out 2 years ago in a 32' Hunter Vision, SV: Mucho Gusto. Not much love loss with that vessel. Mast had been compromised in a hurricane & repaired with a 3 foot sleeve... So I was told. Lost mast in March 2012 with just the jib out. I was on my way back from the Dry Totugus with my [...]

Troy & Lisa

Who: Captain Troy Roush & Admiral Lisa McCreery
Port: Van Buren, IN