Two Good Sailors

22 November 2016 | Virgin Gorda
14 September 2016 | Mount Desert Island
18 August 2016 | Shelburne YC Nova Scotia
11 October 2015 | Annapolis
05 September 2015
04 September 2015 | CApe May
30 August 2015 | New York New York
17 August 2015
07 August 2015
26 July 2015 | Chesapeake Bay
26 June 2015 | Nassau
23 June 2015 | Nassau
22 June 2015 | Nassau
02 October 2014 | Curacao
09 August 2014 | Curacao
27 June 2014 | Curacao
05 June 2014
26 March 2014 | Bonaire

I didn't see the Twin Towers

05 September 2015
I didn’t see the twin towers.

When we left New York we refuelled at a marina on the New Jersey side and looked across the Hudson towards the heart of Manhattan. 14 years ago the view of Manhattan and the view of the world would have been quite different. The twin towers obliterated along with the lives of thousands of innocent people, not only those who were murdered but their many friends and family.

In my short visit to New York I quickly grew to love the city and the people of New York. We met with only kindness and often astonishment and enormous interest in our way of life. We’ve visited many poorer countries, well, aren’t they all, but It’s also the place where we have seen the highest number of homeless people, some clearly with mental health problems but also many women just like me, ordinary looking, fairly well dressed and clean but declaring themselves homeless and alone. This is unusual. There are too many to overlook and it’s fairly terrifying how quickly I learned to ignore what I was seeing. ‘’You can’t help them all’’ is often said but if we all did something then perhaps something would get better, but what to do?

I asked a New Yorker about these ordinary looking women, clearly not alcoholics or junkies and how could they be in this predicament. The answer given to me was healthcare. The New Yorker speculated that illness combined with lack of adequate insurance and suddenly you’re homeless, on the street, having sold everything to pay the bills. It wasn’t the answer I’d been expecting but the answer I was given.

It’s not as though New York lacks a sense of community, it feels like many villages that live alongside each other but somewhere on the road people get lost and drop out of the system that should take care of them. Someone said that a civilisation is judged on how they take care of their vulnerable people. I’m not just writing about New York, this could be any city in the world, but it seemed so out of place and out of character here.

Coming up to the time when we think 9/11 and the evil that was unleashed I would like to say how I honour and applaud the people of New York. They lived through this horror and the mess it has made of the world. I also remember those who were lost on the other planes and their bravery and heartbreaking messages of love to those they were leaving behind. What do we say to our friends and family when we know we’re about to die? It’s always the same thing, whether we are Christian, agnostic, atheist or Muslim. I love you. Who runs this world, the people who love or the people who hate? Don’t spread the hate.

I would like to read any comments, positive or negative or enlightening.
Comments
Vessel Name: Capisce
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 44
Hailing Port: Plymouth
Crew: Anthony Good, Jane Good
About: Two good sailors off to see the world, there's such a lot of world to see. We set sail from Lymington on 29th June 2012 and reached the Caribbean in January 2013.
Extra: The biggest challenge of our cruising life is getting internet connections so please be patient waiting for blogs. We promise to do our best.
Capisce's Photos - Main
67 Photos
Created 26 June 2015
some small islands
5 Photos
Created 22 June 2015
2014
5 Photos
Created 2 February 2014