Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

THREATENING SKIES

06 May 2017 | KIDD COVE GEORGETOWN HARBOR
KRIS/UNSETTLED WEATHER
One look at this sky and I am glad we stayed securely anchored in Georgetown Harbor one more day. Our sleep was interrupted about 10:00 pm last night by a nasty rip snorting thunder storm with sustained winds around 25 with a few gusts to 40 and some lightning strikes that shook the boat. One feels quite vulnerable with a 50 foot lightning rod at one's feet. Counting my blessings, our anchor held and this morning, though it was calm, the weather forecast called for squally weather along our route northward, and I didn't want to run into that mess in open water. We have plenty to keep us busy for one more day.
Jack finished his outboard repairs. After exchanging new parts for old and replacing a new spark plug with an old one that still worked, he achieved his goal of getting a spark when he pulled the starting cord. He didn't feel he needed to start the motor as it was not in the water and that would involve exchanging motors in the rain. That will happen the next time we need an outboard.
We waited for the rainy weather to pass around noon, and it did, leaving a cloudy but pleasant afternoon. Charlie and Phyllis and Jack and I decided we would have one more lunch ashore before we head to the land of no restaurants. We have probably eaten out more this trip than ever before, so I won't mind a few days of "boat food" We had a pleasant lunch at Peace and Plenty and were once more entertained by Lermon, our favorite Bahamas waiter who seems to be related to half the folks in the Exumas.
After a quick stop at the grocery store we dinghied back to Caprice to finish packing up for the long trip home. We stashed the dive tanks under the v-berth and retrieved a few cases of beer that were in deep storage. Now that the necessities are in place, Jack raised the dinghy and secured all gear on deck. I do the same below. We don't expect a rough trip, but it is good to have things ship-shape. I can only post one picture so I chose the stormy sky, but we had a gorgeous sunset which brings to mind the Red Sky at Night Sailor's delight phrase. Let's hope those old superstitions ring true.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: