Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

ELECTION DAY!

10 May 2017 | HIGHBOURNE CAY BAHAMAS
KRIS/ BALMY AND BREEZY
Today is Election Day in the Bahamas. The Bahamaians take their elections seriously as all citizens of a free country should. I'll reveal in a minute how this affected our day. We departed Cambridge Cay on fair winds this morning about 8:30. Caprice led the way and Wyvern was close behind as we threaded our way out of the anchorage between rocky islands and shallow sandbars. The charts are clear, one just needs to pay attention. We hoisted our sails at anchor had a beautiful sail for the first few hours. Today was one of the few days we even turned the motor off and just sailed. The wind slackened somewhat in the afternoon and we needed a bit of assistance from the diesel to maintain a speed of about 5 knots. We wanted to arrive at Highbourne Cay in time to tour the marina and possibly enjoy a beverage or a meal. Phyllis looked on line at the restaurant prices, and we thought maybe just a drink and an appetizer would suffice. The Marina at Highbourne is a first class place with prices to match. When we arrived about 3:30 in the afternoon we all piled into Charlie's dinghy and went to shore. Docked at the main dock was a motor yacht called the "Crown Jewel". It was about an 80 ft yacht, perfectly maintained and every inch whether wood metal or fiberglass was polished until it gleamed. Its tender was bigger than our boat and had two large outboards and radar. It was also polished to a brilliant shine. Now that we realized the company we were keeping, we behaved ourselves accordingly. We went to the ship's store and then planned to visit the restaurant. Unfortunately due to it being Election Day it was closed. The restaurant employees have the day off to cast their vote. Also because it was Election Day, no liquor could be sold anywhere in the Bahamas. They are sober voters! Just think of the money we saved. Not being able to eat or buy a drink, we strolled the beach and took note of the Marina's services in case we are ever in the area and in need of fuel or water.
We headed back to the Caprice where the drinks are cheap. Charlie and Phyllis joined us for a simple dinner of Taco Soup. None of us mind the easy meals which can be prepared from cans or frozen food stored on board. Known as "boat food" it is usually quick to fix, satisfying, and the ingredients are in our stores.
A full moon hangs over the harbor tonight and we will turn in early. Tomorrow another long day of sailing will bring us to Nassau and the end of our Exumas visit for this season. It is a lovely end to a wonderful day.

The picture is actually of sunset over Georgetown the night after the storm.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: