Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

EASY DAY

17 May 2017 | ISLAMORADA, FLORIDA KEYS
KRIS/BREEZY AND WARM

After over 13 hours of sailing yesterday, today’s trip was a breeze, literally a breeze of 15 to 20 knots gusting to 27 at times. The inside of the Keys is called the Florida Bay and the route southward towards Key West is shallow but well marked. It meanders through mangroves streams and across wide expanses of shallow water home to fish, dolphins, crabs and a multitude of shallow water sea life. Much of it is less than 7 feet deep so we have to pay attention but the waters are flat so it’s a comfortable boat trip.
We motored until about 3 pm enjoying the beautiful sunny day when we anchored just off Islamorada on Upper Matecumbe Key. By 4 pm we were seated at the bar at Lorelais enjoying a happy hour beverage and some conch fritters. Charlie and Phyllis joined us a few minutes later and we enjoyed an early dinner. I ordered the Seafood Tacos made with grilled Mahi and they were delicious. It was a generous portion of 3 tacos with sides of salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Phyllis and Charlie split a Philly cheese steak which she said was very good also. Jack had the Mahi fish sandwich which he pronounced OK. He didn’t think it was fresh Mahi, but more likely a frozen filet. Two out of three isn’t bad. The conch fritters passed the yummy test and the service was friendly with only a short wait for our appetizers and entrees. I would recommend Lorelai’s to anyone driving or boating through the Keys.
We wore off our meal with a walk to a local convenience store. It was well stocked but with convenience store prices. After all we are in the Keys. Its’ vacation money. When it runs out you go home.
We plan to stay here until the winds settle a bit. We’re thinking todays trip was OK for protected waters of Florida Bay near shore, but these winds may be a bit uncomfortable out in open water. We’ve had enough of that for this trip.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: