Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

ONE PARTICULAR HARBOR

15 May 2019
Kris Hinterberg
We often stop and drop an anchor off the shores of St James City Florid, but rarely do we spend any time there. We decided to burn a day here today. The winds were not favorable for us to travel south on the Gulf and we are in no hurry. We decided this would be a day to catch up and slow down. Cruising involves a lot of patience, which is a nice way of saying you spend a lot of your time waiting for something to happen. Today we needed to do what is called "commissioning" our autopilot. Normally that involves driving around in circles, watching commands on the screen and pretty soon the screen tells us we are done and can be on our way. Today this didn't happen. Frustrating!!
The waters off St James City are not busy at all, so driving a 37 foot sailboat in circles, though seemingly bizarre behavior bothered no one. The directions on the screen suggest a turn of about 390 degrees or just a little more than once around. After 3 circles the screen still read "calibrating....." we figured something wasn't right. We stopped, rebooted and tried again. Again the screen just said calibrating ........ for another 3 revolutions. The definition of insanity is ... well you know. But that doesn't always apply to bad connections. Frustrated Jack called tech support and got a message that our call was important to them, but not important enough to actually answer the phone so wait forever on hold or leave a number. We left a number. This went on for most of the day and after two long tech calls nothing was changed. While waiting for the tech support call-back, we dropped the dinghy and motored up one of the canals to a tacky bar called Ragged Ass Saloon. My mom would not approve. It was nothing amazing, so we spent 20 bucks on two beers and headed back out. Waterfront bars think they can get away with that and so far they have.
Tomorrow we set out into the gulf, hoping the autopilot will at least function. Who cares if we are breaking the rules and using a non-commissioned instrument. We'll fly the Jolly Roger and hope for the best.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: