Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

A NEW VIEW OF MARATHON

13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
Kris Hinterberg | Warm and Breezy
We departed Shark River at the usual time, just as the sun was peeking over the horizon. When living on a boat we need to conserve battery power, so we pretty much shut down at dark and come alive at sunrise. The seas and winds were calm again this morning as we motored out through the mangroves. Once on the Gulf our half-decaf coffee starts to kick in and Jack gazes about figuring which sails will get put into service today. Our anticipated destination today is Boot Key Harbor and the Marathon City Marina about 37 miles away, a 6-8 hour trip under the best of conditions.
We had cool easterly breezes of 5-10 knots, so all three sails went up. Our speed was still not quite adequate to arrive at our destination in time to check in and possibly get a mooring in the harbor. Not a problem. We need to charge our batteries daily and this is accomplished by running the diesel for 2-3 hours. This gives our speed a boost and shortens the trip. Is it a coincidence that the wind died about the time the batteries are charged?? We continued to keep the diesel running the rest of the trip to maintain a speed that would get us to Marathon before dark.
Florida Bay, between the southern tip of the mainland and the keys must be a bonanza of crab fishing at this time of year. We again spent most of the day dodging bobbers attached to ropes, attached to underwater traps which would wreak havoc with our tiny prop and substantial rudder.
The seven mile bridge is a wonder of modern engineering and the old bridge, which is still there, is a miracle of 1912 engineering. Crossing under it changed the whole nature of our sail. The winds chose that time to pick up to 15-17 knots, heeling the boat, perfect for sailing. Unfortunately they were right out of the east, a headwind as we turned on our course into the harbor. The seas increased to 2-3 feet and the color changed from Gulf green to Atlantic blue. Down came the sails as we motored towards the Boot Key Harbor.
In March, finding a free mooring in City Marina in Boot Key harbor is a lot like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I am Irish, but the leprechauns didn’t cooperate. There is however a sheltered spot just outside the harbor on the west end of Boot Key with a great view if the 7 mile bridge. About 20 boats of all sizes and configurations are anchored here and we joined them.
Tonight, I will know I am sleeping on a boat. The waves will die down a bit when the passing motor boats quit throwing up wakes, but the Atlantic Ocean never sleeps. It is beautiful and blue but never flat. This is a first for us to anchor on the outside at Marathon. What is the point of living on a boat if you never fall out of bed? LOL
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: