Caprice Cruise

15 March 2023 | ICW
05 March 2023 | Pelican Bay
19 May 2022 | Pelican Bay
14 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
11 May 2021 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
10 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
09 May 2021 | PELICAN BAY CAYO COSTA
08 May 2021 | MYAKKA RIVER
18 March 2020 | ST. JAMES CITY, PINE ISLAND FLORIDA
17 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
13 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
12 March 2020 | SHARK RIVER EVERGLADES FLORIDA
11 March 2020 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
08 March 2020 | Tippecanoe Bay Myakka River
17 May 2019 | MATANZAS HARBOR FORT MYERS BEACH
15 May 2019 | FACTORY BAY MARCO ISLAND
15 May 2019 | MARCO ISLAND FLORIDA
15 May 2019

LAZY DAY AT MARATHON

15 March 2020 | BOOT KEY HARBOR MARATHON FLORIDA
Kris Hinterberg | Warm and Breezy
When we look back on March 2020 as the era of the Corona Virus we will all have separate recollections. Mine will be that I turned off technology for a few days, and the world shifted while I was out of touch.
We found out that schools are closed nationwide for an indefinite period. As a grandmother, selfishly I hope to have a longer spring break with my grandkids. I have 5 and each one is cuter and more precocious than the next, based on who is visiting me at the time. We plan to turn our route homeward rather than visiting other keys.
Our reaction to the national pandemic scare is: Live on a boat. The problem of separation and sanitation is a piece of cake. We prefer wilderness to tourist traps, but part of our fun in the Keys is dropping in at some funky bars and restaurants. The theory of adults unknowingly shedding viruses left and right tends to put a pall on that activity. Not having been on land in nearly a week, we first decided to tour Boot Key Harbor and see what the Marathon City Marina had to offer for accommodations. This place took a serious hit during Hurricane Irma and we were pleased to see the recovery. The moorings were predictably filled and we found out that we could be on the waiting list for a week. In order to get on the list we would have to pay an $85.00 fee for a dinghy dock pass. In boating budgeting, this is a drop in the bucket and would probably apply to the mooring charge if we ever came up to the top of the list, but we made an executive decision that we would not be here a week. Back to the anchorage we’ll go.
Our curiosity salved, our next priority was food and drink. We chose “Castaways” as a destination because it is somewhat out of the way and has a quieter older crowd patronizing it mid-afternoon. We docked the dinghy and ventured in. In honor of my older son David’s birthday, we ordered two icy cold IPA beers and relaxed in a quiet outside seating area, listening to surprisingly old rock and roll music. We were seemingly getting “in the mood” when a fellow patron at a nearby table started in with a dry hacking cough. (a definite symptom of you know what!) OH OH. Jack who has plenty of trouble distinguishing voices and musical selections in bars could hear this. We’re outa' here he demanded. We paid our check and since we didn’t order food, tipped the nice waitress well, and were on our way. Back on the boat the winds are fresh and the waves gentle. We enjoyed a peaceful rest of the afternoon bobbing at anchor with wine and dinner on deck.
Today (Sunday) we made the decision to enjoy one more day here before heading north. Sombrero Beach on the Atlantic is one of our favorite stops when we visit Marathon. It also took a hit during Irma, but the beaches and dunes seem to have been restored nicely. It’s about a half hour dinghy ride from the anchorage, but today Jack let me drive. Normally he is the dinghy helmsman, but I do need to be able to start an outboard and direct an inflatable boat from point a to point b safely. Today was a good day to practice. A typical Sunday Afternoon in March showed Sombrero beach to be crowded with families swimming and picnicking and the usual assortment of folks, kayaking, paddle boarding and just enjoying the terrific weather. We relaxed for an hour or so, then I got to prove my dinghy piloting skills back to Caprice in the bay outside Boot Key. If you can read this I made it without incident.

Tonight we will enjoy a light dinner from stores on board, then prepare for an early departure through the Florida Bay returning to the mainland. Once again we will be out of touch for 24-48 hours.
More adventures to come.
Comments
Vessel Name: Caprice
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean Florida
Crew: Jack and Kris Hinterberg
About:
We retired to Florida in 2005 and learned to sail the peaceful waters of Charlotte Harbor on our Compac 25. In 2007 we upgraded to our 37 Irwin Ketch and decided to prepare for a Bahamas trip. In February 2012 we departed for our first Bahamas trip. [...]
Extra: We took our second and third Bahamas Cruise in the winter of 2013 and 2014 revisiting some of the places we loved and visiting new ports. 2015 is a Florida Coastal and Keys Cruise.
Social: