Current Day Sailor

Vessel Name: Capricious
19 November 2014
17 October 2013 | Piney Run Reservoir MD
17 October 2013 | Lake Anna VA
17 October 2013 | Lake Anna VA
Recent Blog Posts
19 November 2014

2014 sailing season

The sails are off the boat and stored away for the winter. I had a good sailing season this year but only got out a few times on my own boat. I put the boat in the water for the first time this year on 19 April back at Rocky Point Park. With the new baby bob mast float I was no longer concerned about [...]

17 October 2013 | Piney Run Reservoir MD

Windy day on Piney Run

Yesterday (20 April 2013) it was sunny with winds 10 to 20 mph on Piney Run Reservoir. The reservoir is about 300 acres with restrictions on use of gas powered motors. We got to the lake about 2pm and had the Capricious rigged and in the water by 2:30. With the steady strong winds I opted to go with the main only. The water is still cold and the air temperature had dropped from the mid to upper 80s earlier in the week to the mid to upper 50s on Saturday. The crew consisted of the commodore, the captain (our 14 year old daughter), our son in his late twenties and myself. The docks are about equal distance from either end of the reservoir so we set off tacking towards the north end of the reservoir. Even with the load and without the jib we were clipping along at a good pace (fast enough for the center board to sing to us.) After a couple of tacks the commodore started to get concerned about going for a swim in the cold water so we headed back to the docks and dropped her off. With just the three of us on board we headed towards the south end of the reservoir, with the commodore happily watching from the docks. With the winds to our backs we varied between a broad reach and a flat out run. It wasn’t long before we had reached the south end of the lake. As we came about to make our way back to the north end of the lake the winds picked up and I began to notice white caps on the water. Time to head to the docks! We made several long tacks, clipping along at a good speed before finally arriving back at the dock. We tacked to just beyond the dock and put the boat in irons. The wind was so strong that it blew us backwards past the dock. We threw the bow line to the commodore as we drifted past the dock. We were only out for an hour and a half but I was pretty tired and ready to head home. All in all a great day on the water. The commodore and the captain are both ready to go out again :)

17 October 2013 | Lake Anna VA

Bridge at Lake Anna

17 October 2013 | Lake Anna VA

Maiden voyage aka Lake Anna

2014 sailing season

19 November 2014
The sails are off the boat and stored away for the winter. I had a good sailing season this year but only got out a few times on my own boat. I put the boat in the water for the first time this year on 19 April back at Rocky Point Park. With the new baby bob mast float I was no longer concerned about turtling but I didn't capsize this year to find out if it would work. My last two sails were in the sound off near southern shores (on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.) The family went down to the outer banks for a week long vacation in August and I arranged to put the boat in a slip while we were there. I ended up only sailing the day I put the boat in the water and the day I took it out. But they were both good sails with plenty of wind. The first day I went out with my son Michael at the helm. The wind was strong enough that I spent most of the time managing the main and jib sheets and hiking out. The last day I was out on my own with more than enough wind to keep me on my toes.

The reason I haven't taken my own boat out much this year is that I joined the Baltimore Downtown Sailing Center and have been sailing with them almost every week. I began the year as a crew member and was qualified in August as a Skipper. That enabled me to reserve a J22 or Sonar any time I could get a crew. I took my wife out on each of four Friday mornings in September and we had some great sails. She is getting more comfortable with each sail.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups