F18 Capricorn USA

Sailing on our F-18 Catamaran accounts and descriptions of racing and playing.

13 July 2015 | San Francisco Bay
19 June 2015 | San Francisco Bay
06 June 2015 | Richmond California to Stockton California.
31 January 2015 | San Francisco Bay
24 September 2014 | Alameda California
30 August 2014 | Treasure Island to Benicia
30 July 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
16 July 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
15 July 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
05 July 2014 | Treasure Island to Redwood City
04 June 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
01 June 2014 | Stockton to Richmond
31 May 2014 | Richmond to Stockton
20 April 2014 | San Francisco Bay/Pacific Ocean
14 April 2014 | San Francisco Bay
11 March 2014 | St. Francis Yacht Club
10 January 2014 | Redwood City, Ca.
07 January 2014 | Everywhere
01 November 2013 | Sarasota Florida
19 May 2013 | San Francisco Bay

2013 Recap

07 January 2014 | Everywhere
Rich Vilvens
2013 Recap
The year of 2013 started for me in El Nido, Philippines. I was finishing a training program at a resort there and spending the week sailing with my wife in paradise.
After returning home I was finishing the search for a new boat to compete with for the season. After much research and trial I chose the new PSA Capricorn F18 as my new boat. With some help from the people in Australia we got the boat ordered and went about selling my old boat.
We finally got the Tiger sold to Lester and with that the garage was empty for the first time since 2000. We ordered a trailer from Surf City Catamarans, and storage boxes from Velocity Sailing. We set it up for multi stacking and distance traveling. We got the trailer and boxes set and waited for the boat.
The boat arrived and Phillip Meredith helped me pick it up and start assembly. There was some shipping damage that had to be repaired but with Craig at Elkhorn Composites it was taken care of. A new mast soon followed and we started the setup and tuning again.
We were deep in the season and had lost a couple major regattas we wanted to do but such is the price when you start something new. Daisy and I got to sail her at Redwood City, but a failed tie job on the jib caused it to fall. I sailed with James Orkin at the Americas’ Cup Open F18 event. To just be on the water with those boats was a treat.
Another short day on Redwood City sailing then I had to take time for the move and family matters so the boat had to stay dry for a while. With the move to the new house and Amy’s wedding done it was time to sail again. We got the boat ready and I got a nice light wind day in with Phillip preparing for the Americas Championship.
Then it was time to do some miles. I loaded the Capricorn F18 on the trailer and added a C2 for Eric to go to the 2013 Americas Championship. Dad flew out to drive the drive with me cross country. With 3 days on the road we made Ohio and I had to drop the truck off for some repairs. We got the truck back in time and made it to Sarasota Florida and got everything together to race. Phillip and I measured in and weighed in and after a practice day we felt good with the boat and were ready to start racing.
Day one of racing we were toward the back but had good speed. The extra 100 pounds we were carrying was hurting in the light but it was still a good day. Day 2 saw us in big wind but unfortunately we cracked a rudder head and had a problem with the steering the rest of the week but could never find the problem. We finished the regatta at the back of the pack but not a bad week for the first true race we raced on the boat.
Returning home after almost a month on the road it was good to be home and after a good night sleep we dropped off the Nacra we hauled back for Mikey at Surf City Catamarans. The boat was returned back to Redwood City and we began the debrief with the builder and designer of the boat about our problems at the race. All my little problems were taken care of and we retuned the boat.
I sailed the boat with Michael Butler and he really enjoyed it. We have now had a few weeks of high pressure preventing and good wind for sailing. The boat is upgraded and sailing really well. I am very happy with it.
Now I’m getting ready to demo the boat again this week and it looks like promising conditions. Here is to another year of adventures and good time with good friends and family.
Comments
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Make/Model: PSA Capricorn F18
Hailing Port: Redwood City, California
Crew: Richard Vilvens and Daisy Eng
About: A husband and wife sailing team from California.
Extra: Capricorn USA F18
Social:

F-18 Racing

Who: Richard Vilvens and Daisy Eng
Port: Redwood City, California