Captain's Log: Briskwater

01 August 2014 | Everett, Ballard Locks, Queen Queen City
30 July 2014 | Saratoga Passage, Everett
29 July 2014 | Swinomish Channel, La Conner, Skagit Bay, Oak Harbor
28 July 2014 | Rosario Strait, Harney Channel, Ship Harbor, Cap Sante Marina
27 July 2014 | Sucia Island, Deer Harbor, Orcas Island
25 July 2014 | Matia Island, North of Orcas Island
24 July 2014 | Blakely Island Marina
23 July 2014 | Rosario Resort, Orcas Island
21 July 2014 | Deer Harbor to Eastsound
20 July 2014 | Deer Harbor to Orcas Village
19 July 2014 | Anacortes, Guemes Island
18 July 2014 | San Juan Island, Orcas Island, Anacortes, Guemes Island
17 July 2014 | Roche Harbor
16 July 2014 | Friday Harbor, Turn Island
15 July 2014 | San Juan Channel
13 July 2014 | Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island
12 July 2014 | Skyline Marine Center - Do It Yourself Yard
07 July 2014 | Guemes Channel
06 July 2014 | Bowman Bay, Deception Pass State Park

13. TGI Friday Harbor

16 July 2014 | Friday Harbor, Turn Island
Capt. Jon Z.
Arr! A second mate to tie to the mast...

After being anchored in Fisherman Bay for a few nights, we decided to stay at a marina, namely Port of Friday Harbor Marina. The marina is right in downtown Friday Harbor; in fact, Friday Harbor looks like the town most constructed toward seafarers that we've seen on our trip.

We explored downtown a little bit, eating some local steamed clams, looking through the lavender wares, and biking the town at night.

On Wednesday (7/16) morning, we took on a new crew member. My brother Zak took an adventure just on finding his way to us from Seattle to Anacortes to Friday Harbor. Maybe he will write a side blog describing his trip one day.With Zak's arrival, Sarah and I were able to alternate taking time off from the helm, which is important for the stamina and the sanity.

We took to the water Wed. afternoon to find some sweet, sweet, free moorage (aka anchoring water close enough to land that we could row the dinghy ashore). We looked up and down the shores of Friday Harbor for such a spot, but everything except the public marina is private, so no luck.

We consulted the ever-helpful cruising guide (as well as the guide to Gunkholing in the San Juan Islands), and found nearby Turn Island, just under 2 miles east of Friday Harbor, to use as effective anchorage.

Zak and I set the anchor about 200 feet off the west coast of Turn Island, and the San Juans really showed how cool they are when the sea is calm at sunset.

We made some barbecue chicken wraps, played some cards, and when the sun went down, we were able to see bio-luminescence in the water. Also, the stars were out, and the calmness of the water made for a very peaceful environment.

The one snag in the night is that the slow southern current shoved a piece of driftwood into our bow at around midnight; Sarah and I at first thought we had run aground, but it turned out to just be the log. The cool part is that the bio-luminescence lit the log up underwater, so it was easily visible and therefore movable.
Comments
Vessel Name: Briskwater
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 27 (Name: Briskwater)
Hailing Port: Queen City Yacht Club
Crew: Captain Jon and First Mate Sarah

San Juan Islands

Who: Captain Jon and First Mate Sarah
Port: Queen City Yacht Club
HI FAMILY AND FRIENDS. IF YOU DOWNLOAD GOOGLE EARTH (on the map page) YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ZOOM IN AND OUT ON THIS SITE AND SEE OUR ROUTE. ALSO, ON THE GOOGLE MAP, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CLICK ON POINTS FOR JOURNAL ENTRIES. IT'S SUPER COOL!