bucket list

30 November 2023
30 November 2023
30 November 2023
30 November 2023
30 November 2023
30 November 2023
30 November 2023
30 November 2023
30 November 2023
02 June 2021
02 June 2021
02 June 2021
02 March 2021
19 February 2021
16 August 2019
14 August 2019
13 August 2019
09 August 2019

South Carolina to North Carolina

27 May 2015
We left Cooper River marina at 9:15 a.m. We motored past Ft. Sumter and on to the Ben Sawyer bridge. We anchored in Awendaw Creek at 3 p.m. This anchorage has a view of the Cape Romain lighthouse in the distance. There were a number of dolphin and we even saw a manatee while eating dinner. We had the anchorage all to ourselves. The stars were incredible. The next morning we pulled the anchor up after coffee. A large school of dolphin were feeding where we entered the ICW . They followed us for a little while and then fell off, returning to their breakfast. We saw lots of pelicans this day. They were diving for fish all around us. I spotted an alligator swimming along the side of the marsh. We anchored in Georgetown at 3 p.m. We took the dinghy in and tied up at the town dock. The magnolia trees were in full bloom. We walked around town and then headed for our favorite bakery. We bought a loaf of bread, two cinnamon muffins and some basil pesto at the Kudzu bakery. After dinner we enjoyed watching some kids racing small sailboats. Their race course was set up around, and in and out, of the boats at anchor. We left at 7:15 the next morning. We motored past abandoned rice fields. On the Waccamaw River, the trees are looking lush and green now. There are all kinds of evergreens, but the cypress trees really stand out. The spanish moss is still thick here. Carl spots an eagle in his nest as well as many osprey. We reach Osprey marina at 3 p.m. This is one of our favorite marinas. We met some nice people and enjoyed a stroll around the marina grounds. We left the next morning at 8 a.m. There is so much traffic in this section of the ICW that white water is created by all of the boats and jet skis running about. The wind has been on our nose all day. Now the tide has turned against us and slowed us down even more. We decide to get off this busy highway and call it a day. We anchor in Callabash. We are still close enough to the ICW to watch the traffic go by. Tomorrow is Memorial day and we might just stay until Tuesday.
We took advantage of our day off and took the dinghy to Callabash. At least a half dozen restaurants dot the waterfront and shrimp boats line the docks. We found a little spot in front of a shrimp boat to tie up. We had lunch at the Seafood Shack and then bought shrimp fresh off the boat to cook for dinner. After we return to the boat, we spend the afternoon just relaxing. Well, at least I did. Carl had a few projects on the boat. I have a peach cobbler in the crock pot for dessert. Smell those shrimp. They're beginnin' to boil.
We pulled up the anchor at 7 a.m. It was overcast. We motor sailed all day, doing 8+ knots across the Cape Fear River. It rained on us a little. We passed Sunset Beach, Carolina Beach and Topsail Island, just to name a few. We're so close to the ocean we can smell it. We saw some people clamming as we approached Wrightsville Beach. We anchored at 4:30. We managed to put 52 miles behind us. A good day.
We timed the bridges well and made it by Camp Lejeune without having to stop for military war games. There can be live firing across the ICW , which can stop boat traffic for up to three hours. We are having another 8+ knots day! We had an early 6:30 a.m. start this morning and arrived at Casper's marina in Swansboro by 4:00. After settling in, we took a walk into town. Things were much more lively when we were here in November. The town was very quiet this time. We decided on the Church Street Irish Pub for dinner. The wind is howling and blowing us tight against the dock. We are on the face dock with two other boats. We are the only boats here at the marina. We are planning to leave early in the morning, if we can get off the dock!
Comments
Vessel Name: Bay Breezin'
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 410
Hailing Port: urbanna va
Crew: melissa swenson
Bay Breezin''s Photos - Main
45 Photos
Created 7 December 2023
No Photos
Created 2 November 2017
No Photos
Created 26 December 2015
No Photos
Created 26 November 2015
No Photos
Created 26 November 2015
No Photos
Created 26 November 2015
No Photos
Created 26 November 2015
No Photos
Created 26 November 2015
47 Photos
Created 15 April 2015
30 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
24 Photos
Created 4 January 2015
23 Photos
Created 30 November 2014
No Photos
Created 29 November 2014
8 Photos
Created 27 November 2014
9 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 11 October 2014
34 Photos
Created 24 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 24 July 2014
11 Photos
Created 10 July 2014