06 November 2018
We left Moorehead City Yacht Basin behind Nemo at 8a.m. Winds were calm and the sun was shining. Dolphins met us as we entered the ICW. An ominous looking bank of clouds developed and sprinkled a little rain on us as they drifted by. The winds increased. They were out of the west at 10-15, gusting to as high as 25kts. Most of the docks and some of the homes had storm damage here. I was concerned that the Onslow Beach swing bridge might not open for us if the winds got any higher. Not only did it open for us, but the bridge tender waited about 5 minutes for us to get through with the two boats waiting at the bridge before us. We could hear guns firing off in the distance as we approached Camp LeJeune. There was no live firing across the ICW to hold us up, but there was lots of activity as we entered the anchorage. There were marines in jeeps on shore and lots of helicopters and VTOL Osprey flying low, landing and taking off. There were three boats already anchored. Nemo dropped their anchor and we pulled alongside at 2:45 p.m. The high today was 75*. I had on shorts and flip flops. Cooler temperatures are in the forecast. There is an 80% chance of rain tonight but right now it feels wonderful to have the breeze blowing through the hatches.