S/V Carina: Great Lakes and Caribbean Sailing

Follow the adventures of S/V Carina as her crew plies the waters of the Great Lakes and beyond.

Vessel Name: Carina
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 34
Hailing Port: Milwaukee, WI
24 February 2016
21 February 2016
20 February 2016
18 February 2016
17 February 2016
15 February 2016
14 February 2016
12 February 2016
11 February 2016
06 February 2016 | Home
Recent Blog Posts
21 April 2017

A new adventure in the British Virgin Islands

Early Saturday we fly to the USVI and then take the ferry to Tortola, BVI, where we will board our bare boat at Marine Max for 7 days of enjoyment. Stay tuned and watch our progress!

03 March 2016

Compelled to turn back ...

It is now March 3 and I find myself in the Courtyard Panama Hotel in Panama City's Megamall Mall waiting to fly back to Wisconsin. I'm not in Honduras, Mexico or Cuba! How did this happen? There are many reasons!

24 February 2016

We are casting off,

We are off to Honduras this morning (Wednesday) at first light. We started to cast off Monday morning but an oil leak and a broken piece of deck gear required us to tie back up. We zipped back to Panama City to get the gear replacement and we located the oil leak and fixed it. What does this all mean? It's an older sailboat! Things break. We have learned the systems over the past 2 weeks and now feel that we can safely travel the first leg. We'll be out of internet range for the next 6 days so stay tuned to our satellite fixes on the Google Maps portion of the web site.

21 February 2016

Saturday Night

It's Saturday night, February 20, 2016, in Shelter Bay Marina, Colon, Panama and tonight is party night! Folks with guitars, harmonicas, good voices and dancing feet gather together on the patio in front of "The Dock" restaurant, next to the marina pool and mini-mart. Visitors here have come by sailboat, [...]

20 February 2016

Bureaucracy!

Bureaucracy is a fact of life. On Friday we checked with the Captain of the Port to make arrangements to check out of Panama. The weather window for sailing to Roatan, Honduras looked very good for a Saturday morning departure. The Captain of the Port had other ideas, however. It seems that our cruising [...]

18 February 2016

More Progress

Cast off is imminent. We have a couple of more details to iron out but it looks like we will leave Shelter Bay Marina on Saturday at noon. We will steer 356 degrees for 2 days before turning more westerly to steer toward Roatan, Honduras.

Getting ready to begin

06 February 2016 | Home
I’ve signed on as a crew member to help my old friend and classmate Don Braymer bring his sailboat “Hekowi” (a CT 47 Ketch) from Colon, Panama to Port St. Lucie, FL. I will fly from Milwaukee to Panama City on Monday Feb 08 where I will meet Don Tuesday morning and we will drive to Shelter Bay Marina in Colon. Don’s boat is on the hard right now being fitted out for the cruise. Wednesday, Feb 10 is the proposed launch date although assorted problems may delay the launch a few days.

The rough itinerary is as follows (and can be found on Don’s blog www.hekowisailing.com).

Feb 15 Depart Colon, Panama for Islas Guanaja, Honduras (690 nautical miles)
Feb 22 Depart Islas Guanaja, Honduras for Cozumel, Mexico (250 nautical miles)
Feb 29 Depart Cozumel, Mexico for Havana, Cuba (Marina Hemingway; 339 nautical miles; pending US approval)
Mar 07 Depart Havana, Cuba for Hope Town, Abaco, Bahamas (463 nautical miles)
Mar 29 Depart Hope Town for Port St. Lucie, FL (216 nautical miles)
Apr 01 Tie up in Port St. Lucie

While underway I will keep this blog to let you know of our progress. I’m using the Carina sail-blog to tell you about the Hekowi adventure from a crew perspective ... aboard Carina, of course, I am the captain!

I will use a SPOT satellite tracker to post our position approximately once each day.

See you back in the temperate North again in April!
Comments
Carina's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.

About & Links