Carolina Mind

28 November 2016
28 October 2016
30 March 2015
05 March 2015
05 February 2015 | 24 57.932
25 January 2015 | Coconut Grove
24 December 2014 | Cocoa, FL
28 November 2014 | Jekyll Island, Ga
09 November 2014 | North Myrtle Beach, SC

The Big Chill

28 November 2014 | Jekyll Island, Ga
Happy Thanksgiving,

The last couple of updates did not transmit to anyone for some reason, so I will consolidate and resend them here.

Two weeks ago we were in Charleston, SC. We were tied to the same pier as the USS Yorktown, the second carrier of that name from WW2. We took some time to visit Charleston and to wait for the first blast of cold weather to pass. While there we had dinner at the "R Kitchen" restaurant located at 212 Rutledge Ave, Charleston. I provide the address so you may try it when you are next in Charleston. The restaurant only takes reservations, does not advertise, and does not even have a sign. Only about 6 people are seated at a time. I highly recommend it.

Last week we traveled to Beaufort, SC. We arrived before the second severe cold front which brought freezing temperatures. The local folks were out of sorts with the cold weather. I noticed their outdoor water pipes are not insulated. We also stayed an extra few days in Beaufort to let the weather pass. Groceries, hardware, and hair cuts were all available within walking distance. Everywhere we went, locals reminded us that the movie, The Big Chill was filmed in Beaufort. Fitting!

This week we traveled through Georgia which is beautiful and tedious travel by boat. The Georgia coast is only 100 miles, but the very convoluted ICW through Georgia is 138 miles. A boat can be miles ahead or behind you and at points you can look across the marsh and see the boat only a few hundred yards away. In addition, the tidal range is very large and the currents can be very strong. Add to that a poorly dredged channel containing lots of shoals and the trip starts taking on the characteristics of work. --not really.

We stopped at Jekyll Island for the weekend before Thanksgiving. In checking the engine fluids, I discovered a leak which led to replacing the freshwater pump on the engine. During that repair, I discovered a cracked alternator bracket which had to be re-fabricated as the engine manufacturer no longer carried the part. Yesterday, all those repairs were completed. Happy Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow we head to Florida.

Comments
Vessel Name: Carolina Mind
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 350
Hailing Port: Beaufort, NC
Crew: David and Beverly Johnson
Carolina Mind's Photos - Main
Pictures from our time based in Marathon, FL, at the Harbor Cay Club Marina.
64 Photos
Created 8 March 2017
Trip from NC to Florida Keys and more
63 Photos
Created 28 October 2016
Just a few pictures from our visits to Key West and Marathon
8 Photos
Created 13 April 2015